Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The benefits of Speed Lap and Time Trial compared

Timezone
    GMT -5

I wasn't aware we were in a police state.

Comments deleted.
    Last edited by IH8YOU; 8th November 2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Times have changed.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Guys, this came from another thread to start with so I might not have explained the topic properly. Just to clarify now, its about the benefits of TT and SL, i.e. how each one helps us improve at the game overall. It's not about TT vs. SL in terms of one being 'better'. Phrases or words such as one taking more luck, more skill, better, worse, more 'realistic' (let's be honest, it's a game based around an entirely fictional concept - realism is not what it's about) have rarely led to good discussion in the past. So let's try and keep this as an objective comparison.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

afaik they both test different racing disciplines and can benefit the way you race in different ways

Besides, getting a good SL is not really about luck. Firstly you have to be able to pull off the BRs needed or whatever it is you're trying to do. then you have to be pull off the other stuff needed. then you have to string it all together in one ****-off fast lap with lines as close to (what you think to be) perfect as possible without loosing your nerve if you're in front of your ghost.
    Whether or not you think it has become a BR-hunting-BSB-fest is beside the point; you still need to be pretty nifty with a pad to get good times.
    One could make similar points about TT and we could be here discussing it till next week.

/mildly offtopic pseudo-rant

How I treat SL & TT

SL helps with: Finding BRs, Testing/honing variations on existing techniques (brought on by brainwaves during TT), trying ridiculous methods that will probably never work, testing BRs that I can't do in TT, playing music when i want to go outside and can't be bothered to turn off WO.

TT helps with: general improvement of ship control, consistency, Avalon practice , getting into the zone, finding faster lines (from ghost chasing), maintaining concentration levels for race-length periods of time, warming up for WWC, warming up for SL, finding easier/safer ways of doing BRs/boostBRs in online races or on te 5th lap when i always crack.

I'm sure i've missed some stuff and I realise the TT list is longer but that's because I prefer it...so but never mind, this is how I see TT and SL in my mind and I use them accordingly

Edit: I actually responded before saturn but I let him (teehee) remove my awesome (albeit redundant ) point...DAMN YOU SATURN!
    I like this bit, good compromise
    @IH8YOU: What happened to the sideshifts? I can't remember...I might not even have known was a SS was back then so....
    Last edited by yeldar2097; 8th November 2009 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Redundant point removed - I don't remember calling for backup. :P

Timezone
    GMT -5

They were a lot more consistent - faster responding, and moved you further laterally than they do now.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

I didnt notice anything about these Sideshifts being changed. Hmm Maybe IH8's Racing style is so precise that the tiniest change throws it completley off centre. I know a few pilots like that as well.

Is there a Game Breaking mechanic like BSB in TT Yeldar? Im actually curious. You mentioned theres something like that for TT. Or Perhaps I read wrong.

PS: Good to know my opinions are so extreme it makes people Hate themselves!

Gooooo VART!

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Sorry I meant that one could also make points (similar to those I outlined for SL) illustrating the relative skill-level needed for TT
    My bad...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by Vartazian View Post
    I like TT because its more then one Lucky BR that you THINK you could of Pulled off (As it is the case in speed lap) and in my opinion luck is a larger token then skill in this aspect.
    There's no luck involved in performing BRs
    ONLY ABILITY AND TIMING !

Quote Originally Posted by Vartazian View Post
    its all on BR's which CAN take skill but hald of them require hitting some sort of wall to get thrusted into the air, Again doesnt help your lines.
    At phantom speed, hitting any sort of wall makes you lose time !

Ok, you don't like bsb guys ! But What about some incredible times on sol2 forward using a glitch ? Lot of people here were schocked by bsb, but no one never mention those times Do you really know and care about sl, because if something corrupted sl leaderboards it's glitches NOT bsb ?

Like Yeldar would says :
    TT/sl/bsb = skills
    weapons/glitches = luck

It's a pity that an interesting thread like that already begins to show those kind of complaints about luck and blablabla, corrupted boards and blablabla.
    Was it impossible to only use objective arguments and racing experiments ?
    Last edited by leungbok; 8th November 2009 at 07:37 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

I definitely appreciate both sides of this argument... but for me, speed laps are far more entertaining and useful than full race time trials.

Honestly, one of the reasons that I favor Pure over Pulse these days is because the former has a proper speed lap event (free racing mode) while the latter has a measly seven lap event

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Default Mod Words

I had thought that some might have taken Vartazian's and IH8YOU's comments to heart slightly. I was going to mention it myself but rather thought it better to just encourage everyone to stay on topic.

@Vartazian & IH8YOU - please make sure to fully understand what the thread is about first and refrain from comparisons about luck and skill in threads like this. Exaggerations such as the comments about hitting walls to get barrel rolls don't help things either. They are more prevalent at lower speeds. But I feel this is still exaggerated and slightly demeaning to speed lap fans. Mention of BSB was unnecessary. If it is mentioned, words like 'corrupted' have very negative connotations to begin with. These have been discussed widely elsewhere. So to prevent going down that route again, using a neutral term such as 'affected' would be slightly less provocative. Although not mentioning it at all would be preferable.

@Leungbok - I would rather you had noted what I said earlier and ignored Vartazian's post. It takes two to tango and that's how these things spiral out of control. But I appreciate your right to reply.

@All - You've all expressed your opinion on this side of things now, so let's end it here and from now on keep things strictly on topic.
    Last edited by SaturnReturn; 8th November 2009 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Bold font removed. Was perhaps brash/offensive.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

I agree with Yeldar's take on it... SL is good for finding the best boost and BR spots, as well as allowing you to hone particular parts of the track a lot easier than TT since there are a lot of "mundane" points in the track you have to navigate between each serious crack at your records. Doing that 99 times definitely allows you to practice better lines.

TT seems to be about perfecting a more practical course and probably helps with online more than speed lap. I think that's what Vartazian meant by "realistic": it's generally more practical to use what you'd do for TT in an online race than trying to make 5 SL times each lap.

I find SL is easier to get into than TT. Probably has to do with the fact that each lap is a new attempt and you have 99 of them, but in TT you have to restart if anything goes wrong - and it does... a whole lot It can also be depressing when you're in your 3rd/4th/5th lap and make a huge mistake for the 8th time in a row.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Theorically 99 laps one after the other seems the best way to acquire experience on a track and it is, at least at the discovering of a new track. But later (when you know well the track) the problem is that it's practically impossible to be fully concentrated during a full session (at least for me). So i think the possibilities of improvement on sl are about 30/40% of a whole session. It's sometimes easier to be fully concentrated on a TT (at least for the 2/3 first tries)
    Last edited by leungbok; 8th November 2009 at 03:15 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Apologies if I went OTT earlier. I was just trying to keep things on track, but probably jumped the gun. I've taken on board the feedback from those involved and will keep it in mind for the future.

@leungbok - very true mate. That's the trouble I have. I feel like so many laps are wasted in SL the way I do it. Time Trial too though - constantly restarting wastes a lot of time. This is why I try to discipline myself not to restart too often, even if I mess up. I have to do the same in SL, i.e. not cancel every lap and start again asap, but carry out the lap as normal, as if the boost reset feature wasn't there. I always fail at it though and just hit reset anyway.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

SL & TT re like "yin&yang", 2 different things that complement one another perfectly. a complete racer (time-hunter) has to be a master of both modi.
    Last edited by JFthebestJan; 9th November 2009 at 07:03 PM.

PSN ID
    Dark_Phantom_89

^^^ Nicely said - I like that analogy