Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.10 advert discussion, NOT a lawsuit thread.

PSN ID
    krioto

It worked for me.

Loaded up the game, waited until I got to the main menu screen.

Then turned on the router. Signed in - no ads!!!!!

Thanks heaps koleax.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    I think it was your Haikus. They were so impressed they decided you don`t, like, you know, fit standard the gamer profile that they are, like, targeting.
    Holy Jesus the content on that page is stupid.

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

yes, ridiculous. Where did they get those stats from? and in 2007? those comments left by gamers, were too staged to be convincing. I'd lol but this isn't funny...

PSN ID
    drMannevond

Well, what can you expect when they first commission the report, and then use it to build their own case. The word deceptive springs to mind

PSN ID
    Amorbis

The website might be more true if the adverts were implemented in a more fitting fashion, for example billboards, otherwise the website sounds scandalous. They shouldn't really expect us to have a positive response when the adverts hinder loading times in some cases, are really loud, offer worthless information (PS3 advert whilst playing the PS3) and a very slim amount of adverts which repeat none stop and sometimes the same advert gets shown multiple times over (I'm sure the Rocky advert was shown to me around 10 times in a row to me on Friday's Avalon night). The adverts have also been added after the game has been launched, it wouldn't be so bad if didn't have to adjust to them.

Instead of video adverts I would have much preferred subtle product placement a la 2097. Having adverts on billboards, ship liveries and maybe even an image on a loading screen wouldn't be intruding on the game experience.

It could be worse, I suppose. The failed Gizmondo games console forced basic users to watch adverts before they'd even played a game!

And thanks, Koleax, for your discovery. As long as I don't forget to do it I'll never suffer Rocky again.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    brummpahh

Hi all,

2 m8's told me that they have (fortunatly) no sound
    while ads popping up outa hell.

We cross checked and this is how you can at least
    remove the sound:
    - turn on sound over HDMI
    - turn on (manually) 5.1 over HMDI
    - turn on secondary sound output (and use optical cable)
    this way you'll never hear "Rockyyyyyyyyyyyy"
    again. (until 2.20 maybe)

Little hint: when you open a chat window, this will cover the ad allmost completly.

hope they will go bankrupt for that "feature".

brummpahh

Timezone
    GMT -5

brumm - if that works - I owe you BIG TIME. Gonna test it tonight.

You don't lose 5.1 over optical, do you? As I REQUIRE 5.1 in order to survive using my old-school 2097 HUD. (no other way to "know" where the Vartizan-Ninjas are sneaking up for a kill with that HUD otherwise)

just played wipeout hd with these new adverts.
    wow they are evasive and rubbish.
    when they play they stop the loading bar so the length on the advert is added to the loading time of the race.
    i know SL or sony or whoever have got to earn a living but i paid for my game so its mine..not thiers
    its almost like you get up in morning get into your car to goto work and the garage you bought the car from had sneaked around at night to paint adverts on the side of the car.

i will try these above methods to see if i can get rid of them but it looks a bit complicated to me..

Timezone
    GMT -5

Jasmin some car dealers out here actually do that! Take your car in for new brakes, you get a new "Dipshite VW" affixed to your boot. When i got my first GTi years ago the dealer installed an emblem to the hatch AFTER I bought it. When i demanded to know why thet defaced my property i was told they did it so i would revieve prompt service there later on. ( theyed know i was a loyal customer ) After making a scene in the showroom, they refunded my 500 for the misunderstanding. Ugh, 10 years later and it still pisses me off. ;-)

PSN ID
    Constrictor4U

@IH8YOU: That's funny. And now it's off-topic. Story: You got your new bad-ass sportscar, roll cage, lightweight rims w/ new tries and suspension and maybe some additional show-off-stuff and when you get your car back from your dealer (who has to upgrade the cars firmware to go beyond 180 mph) you found that new license plate frame saying something like: xyz your dealer with heart ... WTF! I'm not friendly, I won't let anybody pass below 150mph and the left lane on the autobahn is mine - I'm a heartless petrol-head. That happened w/ 3 cars in a row and I'm still pissed, too.

On topic:

@brummpahh: Did this PSN offline tweak work for you?

@IH8YOU

i feel for you.that must have been ealy annoying.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    brummpahh

@IH8YOU: i can't test 5.1 over SPDIF, since i only
    have a digital headphone amp attached to it.
    Another m8's turned on 5.1DD manually without
    HDMI sound output and the trick still worked. Seems
    that they cannot "upsample" their monotone
    messages to 5.1. (they'd have to pay license fees 4
    the encoder, lol ?)
    It worked with my old 40GB model and the new slim type
    of a m8 (german PS3's).

@constrictor:
    i didn't try to setup the game new, since i'm afraid to
    mess up or loose my ghosts or besttimes (~150 files
    in my WO folder).

btw: i installed a solid state disk with 230MB/s read rate
    some weeks ago and loading times were down to (!)
    3..5 seconds. This now only applies to lucky moments
    without ads. With ads it's up to 10 to 15secs +.
    Grrrrrr.

PSN ID
    Constrictor4U

So without reinstall the tweak does not work for you either? Same here! I didn't try a fresh install to date.

Same here Constrictor. With no reinstall it doesn´t work for me. (Or I´m too stupid and doing something wrong)

Timezone
    GMT -5

I skimmed through this thread, and I don't think I saw the following mentioned: there is a thread on the playstation boards on a way to block ads with your firewall which may or may not work for you:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...read.id=175388
    Last edited by siriusbee; 20th November 2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: speling eror

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

All my times stayed after reinstall. I will check later about ghosts.

That router fix is a touch geeky for me but he makes a fair point that those with low internet speed can really suffer while these ads are doing what they do. Some people need all the bandwidth they can get to play online. Advertisements add insult to injury for these people.

Gaming websites are picking up on the return of ads a bit more. Joystiq put out a news report about it today. Just Google "Wipeout HD Adverts". More websites ought to report this.

Anyway, I think that everyone who dislikes these adverts and wants them gone really ought to complain directly to their local or national Sony customer services. Does anyone know of a good, working email address for UK Playstation customer services?

Timezone
    GMT -5

Yeah, it's geeky, but it's probably the most surefire way to prevent them -- basically deny traffic from the ad servers. Also, the guy in that post claims that ad content was being downloaded *during* an online race. Haven't verified that claim yet, but if it's true, that's really bad for people with connections that aren't too awesome.

As to complaints, why complain to Sony when you could complain directly to the advertisers? If enough people told specific advertisers that these ads don't do anything for them (and that they maybe even create negative vibes), it'll probably be more effective than complaining to Sony.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

All my ghosts are there. So, anyone who is not reinstalling the game for fear of losing their times or ghosts, fear not! You can always back them up, too.

I seriously doubt the ads are downloaded during races or any time after the game's intro sequence. If that were the case, I should have seen a bunch of ads by now.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I would like to try that router method, but I'm not so good with that sort of thing, I'll stick with the old sign-in later method for now. What concerns me about the guide is that adverts download almost 100mb of data in a session, which annoys me as I have a monthly bandwidth limit on my internet. Why should I waste my bandwidth on something I don't want to see? And run the possibility of losing the internet until the end of the month (I'm exaggerating a bit thought as I have a 40GB limit, but I'm still annoyed.)