Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.10 advert discussion, NOT a lawsuit thread.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

What's the magic word?

j/k - Sounds like there are more theories brewing. I really wanted an early night but might have to hang around a bit.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

@SaturnReturn: Was already given; ASAP (an enhanced version for please). xD

Well, I might have found another solution to prevent from being spammed, even
    while playing online! Since the ads are downloaded afterwards (about 25MB), one
    can fill up his disc by creating an artificial large file (a large mp3 or mpeg file stored
    on a possibly external HDD) such that only three or five megabytes are left after
    copying it over to the primary disc. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the game says;
    you need at least 25MB disc storage to play the game. xD Can someone figure it out
    (someone who's disc is nearly full)? If there aren't any requirements on the space left
    to play the game, then this method should work -- after one has installed the game
    like I've written in one of my previous posts.
    Last edited by ProblemSolver; 10th November 2009 at 11:34 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Haha nice problem solving, but let's hope Ads were an afterthought, otherwise
    maybe Fury already reserved some space in the HDD during its installation.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

@Connavar: It doesn't, I've checked multiple times. If you install WipEout the
    way I told, then the game takes about 187x megabytes. Once you start it up,
    while being connected to the PSN, the background download starts. When done,
    WipEout takes about 191x megabytes.

I would test it out myself, but my primary disc has about 400GB left and the
    largest partition on my external disc is only about 300GB. So it would takes
    some time to get it done.

As an additional note to my previous post; just in case you have about one or two
    gigabytes left, then you might also download something from the store (instead
    of creating a mpeg file) that fills up you disc.

PSN ID
    krioto

I can't take it any more!

So many ads! So many ads...

My personal favourite is the ps3 generic ad - what tosspot thought this was useful?

I'm done - it's wrecked the game.
    Last edited by krioto; 11th November 2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: can't stop

Quote Originally Posted by yeldar2097 View Post
    2 days without ads now...was it something I said?

not complaining though
    I think it was your Haikus. They were so impressed they decided you don`t, like, you know, fit standard the gamer profile that they are, like, targeting.

I don`t know if the stuff on that page is real, it is at best fairly selective and very patronising. Anyway all I know is I really like, like Rocky films for some reason now and I want some.

With reference to earlier discussions about terms and conditions, I have found that even if there are terms and conditions that allow Sony to make a material change to a game without the offer of a refund, this is not necessarily allowed under UK trading regulations.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_res.../unfair-terms/

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    fleinn

..probably.. any trade regulation. If the user-agreement changes, or the service you've bought changes.. you have every kind of right to claim your money back. That Sony doesn't explicitly inform you somewhere along the way so you can agree to it is their fault, really. So, a change in the agreement happened. ..And I doubt Sony will actually dare to refuse you - because then they would have to show you where it says in the agreement that they can change anything at any time, even inserting advertisements and changing the quality of the game at some point. Which would be excellent PR.

..I wish they'd refuse, really.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

@PS: do you want me to finish the races or merely start/exit them?

PSN ID
    Constrictor4U

Got a localized 'Braveheart Blu-Ray' today

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

I'm going to try out the space limitation thing, PS. It's just taking a while for me to load up the drive. Even if it works, I suspect it will not be that great of a solution for me, because I take a lot of pictures in photo mode and not having enough space will put another damper on things. Worth a shot, though! Maybe we'll learn something new and interesting in the process.

Update: Not good. The game would not start with less than 50 MB while signed in to PSN, saying there was not enough space to install trophy information. I made the necessary space and started it up, and immediately quit. I noticed that somehow I lost about 16 MB of free space and WHD had gained about 16 MB. I started it up, played a single race offline, saw an ad, and I could not have said the F-word loudly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    They were so impressed they decided you don`t, like, you know, fit standard the gamer profile that they are, like, targeting.
    Oh man.
    Quote Originally Posted by that page
    "I think being in a game is way better because in TV it can sometimes annoy you and stuff and can have a negative effect on a product. But in a game, I think it has a positive effect."
    Do they even read their own website? These ads are just like TV ads and every bit as annoying.
    Last edited by Koleax; 13th November 2009 at 10:28 PM.

PSN ID
    drMannevond

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    I think it was your Haikus. They were so impressed they decided you don`t, like, you know, fit standard the gamer profile that they are, like, targeting.

I don`t know if the stuff on that page is real, it is at best fairly selective and very patronising. Anyway all I know is I really like, like Rocky films for some reason now and I want some.
    'Real' is not the right word here I think. The report they're quoting is named at the bottom of the page. If you google it you will find that the report was commissioned by - yes, you guessed it - Double Fusion
    (The report is 'Videogame Advertising Engagement Study', it was done by 'Interpret LLC' in 2007).
    Here's a press release about the report, describing among other things their methodology :
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n19378379/

I especially like their definition of a worldwide market (New York, L.A. and London)

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

I'm seeking new gaming challenges at the moment so I've had no time for Wipeout HD. Or this forum, for that matter.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MrOrbital

@RJ O' Connell: You're really missing the point here... Wipeout has always been a rewarding game for addicted players. I played WO2097 every day when I came home from school for over a year back in -97 and never got tired of it. You can proceed to other games, but this only shows that you are not a true fan of the series. Addicted Wipeout-players are not finished with this game until there is a better Wipeout out there to play... Yes, I'm a D-padder!
    Last edited by multibodydynamics; 13th November 2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: D-padder!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

What's going on. D-padder? These last two posts don't look like they belong. The last one looks like it belongs here:
    http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...162#post158162

Or did I miss something?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Good news. It might be that you don't have to consider space limitations at all. Since the game apparently downloads the ad right away at the beginning, during the intro sequence, and not streaming during the loading sequence, it may be enough to simply never start the game while online. Always start the game offline, then sign in afterward. After a fresh reinstall, I didn't see any ads, while doing that last night.

If that doesn't work, you can always get around the 50 MB free space requirement at the beginning by starting the game offline, taking a bunch of photos in photo mode, until you run out of space, then go online, something that I was very happy to test.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

I'll test that soon Koleax, cos' seriously after my first ad experience yesterday, I'm seeing Rocky everywhere now. This is truly nonsense, I can't understand the meaning of this "experiment". 3 ads rolling in circle, endlessly. really dumb. Would have been less difficult to deal with them if we had a perfect online experience, after one year of exploitation, could had been the case, no? But well, technical problems (micro-freezes, audio off, crazy weapons/respawn/ramming/framerate drops/stutters/delayed starts blah blah blah) not all related to bandwidth are still there. I'm ready to pay, as it has been said everywhere, to get Rocky removed from my ps3. This money could help to improve the online experience, maybe.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

It makes the avalon chatbox quite funny though, don't you think?

Nice find Koleax (and nice photos), will have a look into that.

I didn't get ads for about 3days (last tue,wed,thu) but now they're back! o_O

Edit: Hooray for no more ads!!! Koleax I think I love you

Just for reference you don't need to do a clean install, you just have to start WO while bein signed out of PSN
    Last edited by yeldar2097; 14th November 2009 at 03:34 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Just building on ProblemSolver's efforts, standing on the shoulders of a giant. Where is he, btw?

Has everyone tried this now? Is it working? If not, let's iron out the issues so we can spread the word.

PSN ID
    Constrictor4U

Well, yesterday Andybob told me about this tweak. Happy as if it was my '09 xmas present. btw, it's working for him he wrote.

I tried ... and failed.

Setup: Latest WOHD+Fury 2.10 installed w/ >300 ads played to day.

Maybe important: German PSN account and I've a static IP ...

Test 1: PS3 + WOHD already running -> close WO -> sign out PSN -> start WO -> Main menu sign in PSN via XMB -> go WO online -> got ads

Test 2: PS3 turned off -> PS3 on w/o PSN -> start WO -> WO Main menu and sign in PSN via XMB -> go WO online -> got ads

Test3: tbd WOHD new install

So I'm still with Braveheart and Rocky and redundant stuff

cheers
    Last edited by Constrictor; 17th November 2009 at 06:19 AM. Reason: .

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Definitely try the fresh reinstall. That's what I did. It wouldn't work for me without the reinstall either.

It looks like just the people in the UK may not have to reinstall. The ads are localized so it must have something to do with their specific delivery.

It shouldn't take long and you only need to do it once. Let us know how it goes!