Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: WipEout HD Patch 2.10 Incoming

PSN ID
    Constrictor4U

Does Sony offer a Customer-Care mail or phoneline? I'm too lazy to look up for this atm. I am in the mood to give them a call or even write a letter and request refund and removal of the game. Would be interesting how they react.

@mizunoori: I miss u And yes, loud they are - and in German - very uncool, very annoying and very redundant.

btw, Tournaments are a way to prevent ads IMO. I never got one in a tounrey. @yeldar, did u get one yesterday in z1's 8 race tourney where you f'up big time compared to your normal racing skills ?

btw^2, In normal online races I think it's 1:4 or even 1:3 ad appearance. Way too much

You can at least download patch 2.10 without having to see all the ads while
    playing offline. Here is how it works. Download patch 2.10 and as soon as
    the installation process has finished (before the game starts again) plug-off
    the ethernet cable from your PS3 to get (temporarily) disconnected from the
    PSN. Now quit the game and put the cable back in to sign-out of the PSN. As
    along as you stay away from the PSN you can play WipEout with patch 2.10
    applied and without having to see all the ads. If you sign-in while the game is
    running, a hidden XMB background download is started that downloads all the
    ads. Note: The ads are stored (internally) within the WipEout HD folder. Hence,
    they can be deleted from disc upon deleting WipEout altogether.
    To trick the system like that only for a patch, haha that´s great
    But i think it should work. Nice find PS

I don´t know much about IP adresses etc... Is it possible to create a new PSN account with the land Ukraine (as an example) to get no ads?

Quote Originally Posted by yeldar2097 View Post
    I personally think that no matter how dimwitted Sony think their audience is, showing the same adverts over and over and over and over and over and over again is taking it just a little too far. We get it, we should buy a PS3 and Rocky on Blu-Ray, now leave us alone. Please?
    So much for ensuring that the advertising is embedded as sympathetically to the overall experience as possible

PSN ID
    Constrictor4U

Just curious w/ ref. to PS hint: Does anybody w/ applied 2.10 patch and psn online did experience ads in offline mode (viz. racebox or campaign) I did not. Hence, I do not play offline races that often.

Sony owns a looooooot of movies.

On blu-ray. Which Sony owns patents for. Which a PS3 is a player for.

I wonder what most of the adverts will be about.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

@Constrictor: You can be pretty sure that I've tested it multiple times. After
    patch 2.10 is applied and the game starts (while being connected to the PSN)
    the ads are downloaded. Quitting the game doesn't help, it's an XMB background
    task. Once they are on disc they are also display in offline races.

@mizunoori: Might be possible, but I don't think so. The ads are likely based on
    one's IP.
    Last edited by ProblemSolver; 4th November 2009 at 02:54 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    iLikeMu

Quote Originally Posted by Constrictor View Post
    Just curious w/ ref. to PS hint: Does anybody w/ applied 2.10 patch and psn online did experience ads in offline mode (viz. racebox or campaign) I did not. Hence, I do not play offline races that often.
    The ads do appear in offline modes. I got the patch when I first started up the game last Saturday while logged into PSN. During my ~2 hour session I played only offline races, and at the time I estimated the ads appeared on about 10% of the loading screens I experienced. It's possible that choosing to replay a race without returning to grid negatively influenced the frequency, since in my experience the loading time in this case is much shorter (presumably since the track data is already loaded). I did replay several races in this fashion during my session.

I also experienced the issue with PixelJunk Monster ad, which I believe has been mentioned here before. Very frustrating...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Quote Originally Posted by Koleax View Post
    ... I already knew they didn't care, though. They're Sony. They care about money and delivering product, not caring for people ...
    What's the point of saying this?
    Money is the goal of every company, it's the reason they exist, they're not
    gonna make games for free of course, and when any company appears to care
    about its customers, it's only because they think this move that generate
    them even more money, in the long term.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

Since I'm still working my way through the campaigns and don't play online yet (I plan to do it only after finishing the campaigns) I have decided not to download the patch.
    So, I still have two HD grids and the full Fury campaign before I have to see any ad.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Constrictor View Post
    @yeldar, did u get one yesterday in z1's 8 race tourney where you f'up big time compared to your normal racing skills ?
    Lol ^_^
    No you don't get ads during tourneys, at least I hope not...
    Yeah that tourney was awesome, although I didn't really make any mistakes tbh, everyone is just too fast nowadays. Also, Triakis + Lag = recipe for disaster

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Connavar, if you continue reading after the selection you quoted, you should find the point.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

I think the idea floating around of charging more for the game hasn't been given proper full consideration. Remember, some...(more than that really) people are idiots and as such would brand HD as a port or rehash of whats already been done with little regard to the no doubt monumental efforts put in to transform these tracks from PSP to PS3. Holding that thought, I would have to believe these people would not be willing to put their hand deeper into the pocket and pay more for what has in their mind, already been done.

Of course those aren't my views I would have paid double the price no questions asked but that doesn't matter as I'm in this minority of hardcore fans. What people on this site are willing to pay is largely irrelevant don't you think?

If selling the game on the cheap side was what it took to make sales, to encourage Sony to commission a fresh Wipeout for PS3 then so be it as far as I'm concerned, even if they need to make some money back with advertising. If however there are no plans for a totally new Wipeout for the PS3 then oh dear, my attitude towards this entire situation takes a most dire turn and Sony would be money grabbing trolls, who deserve to be sent to hell and made to eat nothing but Brussels sprouts.

For the record I don't appreciate the advertising as such, I find it tolerable though, tonight it seemed like they had changed the volume on the adverts to match the game I did not notice an increase in volume when they came on.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

I don't think it's largely irrelevant. There's a rule of thumb in business called the "80/20 rule," which is a general observation that 80% of your revenues come from 20% of your customers and vice versa. It pays real money to pay attention to your repeat customers. That's us.

Instead of blaming Sony or a shrouded committee, I'm trying to decide whether -Name deleted- is the blue team's Fat Princess, which would make -Name Deleted- the red Fat Princess, or if it's the other way around. Maybe it will become clear to me after the next 20 ads.
    Last edited by SaturnReturn; 6th November 2009 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Names deleted. Check other threads if you want a reason.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Koleax - Please stop naming names of individuals in the way that you are. It only has the potential to cause problems.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Just by the way: In retrospective I just noticed that since the first day I played with ads, I did not play the game a single time again.
    And yes, I did play other games, but ptobably just didn't feel in the mood to get annoyed by extremely loud speakers and such.

It's especially annoying in Zone Mode for me. Because I always race it with SFX muted, rumble turned of and only chilled music playing. The idea to play Zone with ads alone kept me away from turning WOHD on. Can you imagine how well the ads can destroy the mood?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Quote Originally Posted by Sausehuhn View Post
    ... I just noticed that since the first day I played with ads, I did not play the game a single time again. ...
    Same over here....

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnReturn View Post
    Koleax - Please stop naming names of individuals in the way that you are. It only has the potential to cause problems.
    I would not have named the Game Director and Technical Director for Wipeout HD Fury, if the administrator of this forum did not specifically assign responsibility to them.

Since only the names were deleted in my post above, I will consider the Game Director as the "blue Fat Princess" and the Technical Director as the "red Fat Princess" and together as "the two Fat Princesses." The name comes from a specific ad that I've watched now dozens of times while playing a game they directed.
    Last edited by Koleax; 6th November 2009 at 03:49 PM.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

I've decided that in a way I kinda like the adverts.

My decision is final, you shall all be of the same opinion as me and you shall chill your proverbial winstons

Ok scrap that last bit...
    Anyways, yes the additional bugs and lack of leaderboard updates are annoying, however, after much reflection (and being away from my PS3) I think that the Adverts are quite fun in a way. Not offline so much as online. I haven't played much since the adverts but having a bit of a playful bitch/banter about them in a PSN chatbox before the race makes for much fun.
    "DAMN YOU ROCKY" "STFU I ALREADY OWN A PS3" --> many smiles all around as the race loads --> more fun on the track because you're in a good mood/aren't taking things quite so seriously
    No jokes, fact.

Suck my misplaced positivity and naive sentiment

Having said all this, I wouldn't say no to a game sans bugs and a free skin editor
    Last edited by yeldar2097; 6th November 2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: More smileys :D

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    QjonPL

So maybe we should stard a thread: "What's your favourite Ad?", hm?

PSN ID
    drMannevond

Quote Originally Posted by ProblemSolver View Post
    @DrMannevond: I've already read a lot about this company. I'm going to post
    some interesting stuff quite soon.
    Yeah, me too. Found, among other things, a Q&A with the boss of the company from 2006 where he lays out his vision for the future (as in : Now).
    Pretty interesting stuff. Will see if I can find it again.
    BTW : Does anyone know if Double Fusion is the company responsible for the ads this time (I'm assuming they are, but haven't seen any explicit confirmation)?

Edit : From the Playstation blog :

"It is our hope that by adopting this approach to dynamic advertising, it will be possible to create new associations in a unique way."

Dynamic? Wow! Is that what they call vandalism these days? And yeah - I'm getting some pretty unique associations after watching too many ads. Like associating the head of Sony marketing with and .

And one final thing : The boss at Double Fusion has been bragging incessantly about their fantastic technology that can deliver dynamic 3D ad content to games instead of the boring old billboards you see in every racing game. So why the heck aren't they using it? How many frickin racing games are there that ALREADY have 3D ads in-game and a perfect opportunity for Double Fusion to show off this amazing tech? I would actually like it if I suddenly saw a 3D State Farm hologram above the track, but nooo - much better to not even incorporate your tech into the game and just show some "dynamic" videos, over and over and over.
    These ads are about as dynamic as this quasicode :
    showAd = random(3);
    if (showAd=2) {
    adNumber = random(5);
    onLoadScreen.show(adNumber);
    }
    OMG! I just made a Dynamic Peripheral Content Delivery System! Somebody call Sony Marketing, quick!
    Last edited by DrMannevond; 6th November 2009 at 07:09 PM.