Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: WipEout HD Patch 2.10 Incoming

PSN ID
    Dark_Phantom_89

I hate the ad's. I didn't buy Wipeout HD to watch advertisements on my loading screens.

Fair enough, SL might not be behind it, but still, my opinion of this game has just dropped.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    BARTgai

Ads have pretty much ruined the game for me, each race takes 2-3 mins to load now. Sometimes it's even longer.

PSN ID
    Jguesty94

I was on the Official PS Community and read the thread there before this one, and it appears some people are having problems with corrupted save files.

Having downloaded and installed the update (40gb, fury installed, both usb ports in use), the game starts I'm being asked if I'm new to Wipeout and if I need to have pilot assist on by default. I'm also asked if I accept the terms and conditions.

I began to think something a bit strange was happening and then when I went into campaign, all of the medals I've won over the last year have disappeared as have the ships I've won.

I quit the game, go to saved game data and discover that the data is corrupted.
    also,
    My save file was corrupt, good thing I had a copy of it

PSN ID
    drMannevond

Quote Originally Posted by JJPAP View Post
    Hehe, thanks. I'm not holding out much hope, but then again, these guys did try their best to rip Apple a new one over their DRM, so they're not afraid of big business at least.

PSN ID
    Curufinwe5503

Quote Originally Posted by BARTgai View Post
    Ads have pretty much ruined the game for me, each race takes 2-3 mins to load now. Sometimes it's even longer.
    I only get the ads before certain races, but when I do get them it takes 2-3 minutes to load instead of 15 seconds.

Pretty ridiculous.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Am I the only one not bothered at all by the ads? Or I'm missing something?
    I see ads all the time but they're completely silent and very short, loading times
    are the same as before... maybe because I'm in Belgium? No idea.

Rezatron is offline Banned for aggressive behaviour toward members, moderators and admin. Rapier Pilot
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rezatron

I haven't had a freeze during an online race under 2.10 yet It was a problem before. Haven't seen any ads either and hopefully it'll stay that way.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Didn't logged on WipEout online since a full week because of this ads issue.

I found out that it's actually growing on me. Saddly, i'm being repulsed to play WipEout now. I don't even have to fight the urge to get my fix. The only thing that'll make me come out of my hiatus is WWC sessions with my fellow team mates. Otherwise, i don't intend to go online and have to go through the frustration of being forced to see those ****ing ads aggravating my favorite racing game.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Maybe Sony could release a DLC that will remove the ads?

I know, I realize how twisted that sounds. No doubt there is some legally crafted window in the terms of service agreement that would allow this, but it still feels like having someone break your legs and then give you the medical bill.

Regardless, I wonder what it'd be worth to remove ads permanently. Between $10 and $20?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Come on Koleax, that's a silly idea, no offense

I already paid 30 BUCKS for a game ads-free. That's fair enough and it represents a sh1tload of revenues for Sony, even at that price, considering the huge amount of people who bought it. I wouldn't pay even half of a penny to get rid of them.

If any, Sony has to pull them out FOR FREE for that matter, period.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

None taken! It's worse than silly, but I was an econ major and these intangible contractually created products fascinate me.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

Quote Originally Posted by Connavar View Post
    I see ads all the time but they're completely silent and very short, loading times are the same as before... maybe because I'm in Belgium? No idea.
    Well, I now get the same, silent ones. Maybe we get the Small Country Package

I still dislike them and they usually do affect my loadtime by ~5 seconds, but if this is as bad as it gets I guess I'm lucky.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

If I'm completely honest with myself I reckon I'd probably drop £1.99 or so not to get ads.
    I still haven't downloaded the patch and I don't intend to.
    Problem is, I REALLY want to be able to play WO and stay signed in on PSN (and play online with you guys )...

PSN ID
    Constrictor4U

On Saturday and Sunday I was online multiple short times for up to 10 races.

I got these nasty ads every 3 to 4 stints. Most of the time the Ghostbuster and GT PSP ads (w/ sound).

On Sunday night during Connavars hosted races (I joind for ~10) I didn't got a single ad. Did they turn it off?

btw, is anyone able to analyze network traffic and test if it is possible to block a certain IP range where the ads are originating? Don't know if this reflects the architecture of the ad infiltration, but maybe it's worth a try.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    Adverts having a negative effect on gameplay in a product we already paid a good price for is absolutely unforgivable. It is just taking the piss. I think that traditionally people will accept online adverts if they are getting an otherwise paid service for free, but they won`t accept adverts being added to a product they already paid for and which they have previously not had adverts in. ...
    And I don't think it's even legal the way they did it, at least not over here
    in Germany.

Let's see what comes out of brummpahh's request;
    Quote Originally Posted by brummpahh View Post
    Anyway, i send a complaint to the german
    "Verbraucherschutzzentrale", which takes
    care of customers rights. Damaging a good
    after sale maybe won't be legal...
    So if the Verbraucherschutzzentrale says this isn't legal one can take action
    against Sony and / or STUDIO Liverpool.

I already thought about on how to circumvent the ads. It's clear that they do
    depend on your IP address, since every region gets slightly different ads and
    some others don't get any at all. Well, I've come to known about how the crap
    works; within WipEout HD there is a module programmed by a so-called ad-company
    that wants to spread the crap all over the place to everyone that signs a
    contract with them -- SCEA, SCEE, and some others like EA, etc. did. The module
    connects to an ad-server and opens up a port for communication to download the
    ads onto your PS3. It should be possible to either block the given IP:port
    altogether or redirect the request to something useless using your router. The
    module within WipEout HD will just recognize that there isn't any response and
    proceed as usual. That should solve the problem.

I think a batch of ads are downloaded one at time until the next is due for
    release. Hence, it might be possible that ads are displayed despite having
    closed the given ports. In this case you have to delete WipEout from your
    PS3, download it again and prevent the game from connection to the ad-server.

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

Would be nice if the price of hd/fury were subsidized by the paid for advertising - the game would be a free download - meaning more wipeout pilots, and a larger target audience for the advert sponsors! Everyone happy = win/win!

Just a thought!

As an afterthought, those who paid for the titles could get a credit note code to spend at the PSN store or something...

... this idea, if implemented by Sony, could potentially see the PS3 outsell other consoles... Free games FTW!

... well I can hope!

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

I bet there's something in the Wipeout HD or Fury T&C that allows Sony to put them in, something to the tune of "We may alter this software...." blah blah blah the only thing is I can't find specific T&Cs for HD where are they? If you press triangle when you have the game highlighted on the XMB it claims they are in the manual, they are not, unless I need an eye test.

There is a sort of parallel here with how Sony handles the bundled software on their Vaio computers; they have put in place a business program that 'allows' the buyers of the computer to pay an extra 50$US to nOt include the bundled software, which by default adds more than one minute of startup time because in its initial state bundled ware automatically starts, takes up RAM whether you use or want it or not. Computer makers in general add bundles which they are paid for; the loss of the bundles income would be paid for directly by the consumer. Presumably the computer selling price is lower with bundles; the nice part about it being that the programs can be kept from starting and even removed. If you know what's happening and how to fix it. BUT on the game commercials, you don't get that option. Not good for us. Negative feedback to Sony and reduced sales are about the only thing that will affect this.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Earlier i said i was fine with the ads, then i started thinking, I can totally understand advertisement if the games free, however ive already paid my money for wipeout.

still dont see the purpose or reasoning behind them.

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

Yeah, I see your point, and do feel it's a bit of a 'cloak and dagger' approach by Sony to allow this. However, regarding it's legality issue, I have a hard time believing Sony wouldnt have done their research to cover their own hides.

I don't think it is unreasonable for Sony to offer wipers some sort of credit to compensate for their questionable approach and result of forcing wipers to watch advertising between load times... Will they though?

And though an annoyance, it could be deemed a clever stroke of marketing genius by Sony to make advertising subsidized games totally free to download. With the option of actually paying for the game (full R.R.P) for not having the adverts... how unreasonable is that?