Thread: WipEout HD Patch 2.10 Incoming

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

They are not only lying, they are also cheating on people. Over here in
    germany there is a company called Jamba that advertises after almost every
    music clip ringtones and pictures (many stupid things) to little kids who
    don't have any idea on how this world turns. They offer them all these things
    for a low budget but one indirectly signs an expensive subscription for a
    couple of months on following their offerings. The info about the subscription
    is displayed way too small and can't be read in time. As a result many kids
    become indebted out of nothing. I really hate those companies and those who
    work for them to a degree that I would kill them in a world without laws.

Tonight I played some WipEout and had to watch all these stupid adverts again
    and again. Each time an advert comes up it's like an inhibitor for me to enjoy
    the game. Well done....
    Last edited by ProblemSolver; 31st October 2009 at 12:29 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I had a tonne of adverts last night, but not a single one tonight. It's so peaceful.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

People who can understand french and/or read it, watch "99F" with French actor Jean Dujardin. You'll get a massive hint of how much bullsh1t is put into today's advertising, without even the slightest concern of the consumers well-being

Adapted from the eponymous novel.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

Damn you Kyonshi and your... big.. words...

Timezone
    GMT -5

So, am I just unlucky here - or is this game hanging at the start of each race? Its 3 for 3 now - waiting 1+ minute for XXX player - before it starts.

Last time I played, I got randomly kicked due to "server did not respond" - and it happened only on the last lap of the race. Exactly the same thing happened to my friend across the pond, too. It's not the usual disconnected bit - it's just like someone yanked the ethernet cable out of PSN (but you don't get kicked from PSN)

Oh yeah, the ads are lovely, too. /rolleyes

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

The game definitely hangs for almost a full minute after playing the PixelJunk ad in America, SonicChaos and I have both confirmed. So if you guys see "waiting for Koleax" for more than 10 seconds, you know what that means.

It doesn't hang for other ads, though, so I hope that problems like that will be fixed as new ads come in.

Timezone
    GMT -5

So it's not me....

Well then, who wants to join me in Tekken 6?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I noticed that tonight. I think that was you in the game I was in at one point Koleax. I figured it was the ads based on earlier comments. There was another American player later on as well and it was exactly the same thing. Do Sony really believe that we'll read that ads don't affect loads times and just accept it, despite what we can see for ourselves? I really think this might kill the game altogether. It was already quiet online these days and I can only see it getting worse.

Timezone
    GMT -5

About to start my last race... Once Cipher_73 gets done watching an ad, I take it.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

Its still clear here in Canada. However I'm noticing at least 1 laggy racer per race that takes a good 30-45 seconds to catch up to the rest of us.

Kind of annoying, but livable.

Exclamation important

http://community.eu.playstation.com/...5622&jump=true

hi pls tell musterbuster scee community moderator your feedback on the ads, maybe theyll listen

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

@SaturnReturns, what a tournament! I was the lowest level player at 33 and six were 50+. The ad delay was just adding insult to last place.

It looks like a lot of high-level players are logging in to see the changes.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JJPAP

Quote Originally Posted by drmannevond View Post
    also, just for fun, i sent a complaint about this to the nowegian consumer protection agency.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Thanks for the reply Colin.

I agree that it's usually easy to tune out the odd commercial on TV, and it can even be fun to check out the trailers before you see that feature at the movies, but I find that having loud, in-your-face commercials in places where you usually have none is unavoidably annoying.

I would have been willing to pay more on the spot when it came out, there's no doubt that WOHD is a great, highly polished game. However, that the game was as cheap as it happened to be is no excuse for using disingenuous business practices that only negatively affect the customer to make up for it.

Without going into detail where I'd only be highlighting common sense, I just have to say that there are only negatives on the customer side here; and it's really disappointing to have a game that I payed the asking price for given an update that came unannounced, unsung, and makes the experience only worse.

That Sony/SL think they're so big to fail to announce that they have a need - let alone an actual reason for pursuing ads of this nature in a game - and not even a new one but an older game getting a retrofit; is really, really, really poor form.

I hope someone still working on the project is reading the forums here also.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

I dont know if anybody noticed but you can now change viewpoint Before the race starts... yayyyy!

The adverts aren't quite as annoying as I had expected but still not great.

The thing that really annoys me about adverts is that you get the same ones over and over and over ad nauseum, and that's pretty much how I feel already after one night of them.

The really annoying thing so far is that it is clearly affecting peoples load times, last night I had a large percentage of races where people would take up to a minute to join the race. It would happen occasionally before but it is much worse now.

I had to laugh at the advert to buy a PS3, slightly redundant.

Adverts having a negative effect on gameplay in a product we already paid a good price for is absolutely unforgivable. It is just taking the piss. I think that traditionally people will accept online adverts if they are getting an otherwise paid service for free, but they won`t accept adverts being added to a product they already paid for and which they have previously not had adverts in. It just goes so far against what people will accept I cannot understand why anyone at Sony could think it is a good idea. They are out of touch with their audience, I think. They might have got away with a few subtle billboards on the race track. I think it is fair to ask how this relates to our consumer rights and terms of service, as some people have done.

It is just a very badly handled attempt to shoehorn adverts into a new part of the PSN but I think Sony will only have shot themselves in the foot over it. We should never ever accept this type of advert in a paid game or gaming will change negatively forever, as Task and PS have pointed out a lot earlier in the thread!

Timezone
    GMT -6

I'm not crazy about the ads either - although I haven't gone online yet so I don't have the update.

However, in order for there to be ads, there has to be somebody with something to advertise who thinks this kind of ad is worthwhile right? Maybe the ads will simply gradually stop over time as it becomes apparent its not really worth it...frankly I can't see too many companys thinking this is a good way to advertise their products.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    brummpahh

Anyway, i send a complaint to the german
    "Verbraucherschutzzentrale", which takes
    care of customers rights. Damaging a good
    after sale maybe won't be legal...

If you have similar institutions in your country,
    feel free to contact them.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Hmm ran a small test, loading Metropia took 14 seconds, loading Metropia with the Ghostbusters advert took 16.