Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: WipEout HD Patch 2.10 Incoming

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I wanted to reply to Colin's response,but unfortunately TASK deemed himself beyond reproach .
    Otherwise deeming me unworthy of a response.[yet another point[s] reduction] I have NEVER had ANY POINT, had a reduction apart from one time when I put up a photo that was too large,and that was over two years ago since I became a member here in 2006.
    Task .it seems,has taken a particular dislike to me.[Please explain in the forum,so all can see you reasoning]

The irony is that Colin was responding to my post.
    I could of answered quite civilly,I didn't get the chance ,too busy trying to save myself from getting barred it would seem.

GO figure
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 30th October 2009 at 03:27 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

@Colin, I'm a greedy American capitalist, so I might have even less a problem with ads than you do. SL has a responsibility to its advertisers to maintain the Wipeout brand as a vehicle for their content. You mentioned WHD Fury was sold at a price considerably less than its worth, which I completely agree, but that does not fix the problem. It worsens it.

When I first saw the price for WHD, I knew something was wrong. My business economics training told me that there would be problems for somebody. I worried about your company and the future of Wipeout.

I am guessing that the frame-dropping with Fury and general cheapening of the game's artistry is such an effect. I really would liked to have paid more to avoid this.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Berry View Post
    Allow me to make a few small points to help you out with your suspicions...

- If I wanted to check a reaction or read a thread, I can do so without logging on, I read the board every couple of days often without logging in, but the adverts dont concern me, I'm a games designer, not a marketeer...

Plus
    - I havent been involved with Wipeout for about 15months.

However
    - I do log in here to check my private messages, its how me and foxxy keep in touch sometimes and also its how I respond to people who send me questions now and again

Rest assured
    - I dont do ANYTHING in my life sheepishly, I'm a kind of stick two fingers up what you see is what you get kind of person.

So, your 'suspicion' of me 'logging in sheepishly' needs revising.

I hope this clears any confusion.
    Well being a "Brum" I never expected you to do things sheepisly ,it just "Seemed" a stealth wise visit on your behalf, as NO info from our "Friends" at SL was even give "Head's Up" wise, prior to this shock "Upgrade".

No information leads to presumption.

My previous post was not meant as a personal attack on you.

But the phrasing made it an accusation of negative character traits, and thAt is a personal attack.

But, back to the discussion of 2.10?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

If they're going to do advertisements, they should at least be somewhat applicable... With RedBull back in XL/2097, I never even knew it was a real product until it launched state-side some years later (I flipped the f*ck out when I saw it on a store shelf one day)... I had previously always thought it was just some kind of fake in-game advertising because of how absolutely seamlessly it was put in the game.

But it's true, even the original Wipeout had advertisements for other Psygnosis games- both WO1 and XL/2097 had the ads integrated (like someone else said), they felt natural, they were part of the atmosphere.

In pure, the Puma and Coke packs were nothing but blatand brand-plastering, there was nothing engaging about them. It actually annoys me when I'm playing the game and I see these company names all over the place... what on earth could Puma shoes and Coca-Cola EVER have to do with Wipeout, science-fiction future, or racing in general (aside from regular sponsorship like in present-day racing, but that's irrelevant).

I haven't seen the ads in WOHD since they didn't start them here in the US, but instead of just slapping some kind of food, insurance, etc etc ad on a loading screen, maybe they can get a few related products and do like billboards in certain courses. Make the ads streamlined, so they blend in instead of standing out like a sore thumb. I'd honestly like to see a return to some Red Bull connection
    In Burnout Paradise, different advertisements crop up on the billboards.. Visio, Doritos, etc.. there were even signs for Obama when he was still in the presidential race But that was a game where you drive around a city, and cities naturally have billboards everywhere and stuff, so it wasn't odd or out of place and didn't detract at all.

I don't specifically mind advertisements, they've become a necessary evil since product corporations have so much money and they don't think twice about sharing if someone lets them slap their name somewhere. It's just annoying when the ads detract or interfere with an expected experience. I'll chime in with Koleax, I would honestly have been willing to pay more for WOHD, and I actually expected to. The game was 20 bucks and fury was an extra 10- that's ridiculous, I would have expected at least 25 or 30 for HD and 15 for the Fury pack. Maybe the price-points were when Sony was really hurting and self-doubtful of the success of the game/system since nobody was embracing it like the 360 or Wii...
    Quote Originally Posted by koleax
    I am guessing that the frame-dropping with Fury and general cheapening of the game's artistry is such an effect. I really would liked to have paid more to avoid this.
    This especially... I like Fury for the most part, but it doesn't feel like it really bolstered anything, rather it was just some "more stuff." It feels rotten to say it like that and almost malign all the hard work which was put into it, but it's just an opinion.

I'm not trying to start any kind of console war here, but this parallels one of the reasons I wouldn't mind paying for Gold Xbox Live if I wanted to play online. You pay for a service and it works. With PSN, different games have different servers, lag, dropped connections, and the experience and ease isn't even unified across all titles. With Gold Live, the cost represents a promise of service, with PSN you get what you pay for. If WOHD had been more expensive, maybe it would have given development a higher budget or more resources... but I don't know the politics involved with production and marketing and release deadlines and all that happy horsesh*t, so this is all just theoretical.
    Last edited by AG-wolf; 30th October 2009 at 04:28 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Grammatical errors on my part might of lead to a heinous misinterpretation of the meaning of my previous post.

For that I have nothing but regret.

But it was read as was written,and replied to as such.

I cannot undo this misunderstanding until Mr Berry makes a reappearance and reads further posts of explanation.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

The adverts dont bother me in the slightest.

However i struggle to see how thats all that was worked on. I havnt said one bad word about SL really, but whats been going on? have you guys lost so much money on wipeoutHD that introducing adverts for aditional revenue has been the only thing worth working on?

not having a go or anything, the game is hardly "broken", just find it a bit bewildering.
    Last edited by OBH; 30th October 2009 at 04:42 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JJPAP

Unfortunately I haven´t seen any commercials yet. Maybe - as Mic said - because we´re such a small country. Don´t know.
    But the little boy is running out of diapers, so if anyone sees a good offer while the game is loading, please send me a PM ...
    Last edited by JJPAP; 30th October 2009 at 04:41 PM.

A brum ? ! PFFT !
    I'm a scouser: From Liverpool, not birmingham

As I've said before I'm no longer working on Wipeout, as such its remiss of me to comment on things in the ways I did when I was working on it. Its why I never posted things about Fury prior to its release, it was not my place to do so.

The heads up for the patch came via the playstationblog, information at times has been posted up here, but also many of the people who posted on WOZone from the dev team have moved from wipeout onto other projects.
    In short - when the guys like me and Egg who like to talk all day were on Wipeout, then more things were posted, simply because we like to talk

With regards the adverts, I was asked for my view which I gave, its just my view, not as someone from sony, but just as me - the adverts dont bother me. Others have differing views thats cool I can understand them but I dont necessarily agree with them just as they dont with me.
    I dont know what else to say, so I'll leave it for others to debate I think, especially as its friday night weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

but I am not sheepish !

and no worries blackwiggle
    Last edited by Colin Berry; 30th October 2009 at 04:57 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

AG WOLF has stated his position much the same as I feel about the situation we now find ourselves in.

Unless this topic takes a direction that I have not perceived there could not be much that could be added.

Lance & Task = sigh of relief

He don't half sound like a "brum" in wipeout making of ,doesn't he beryl
    Last edited by Task; 31st October 2009 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Consecutive posts

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

begs the question though -
    if you guys have moved onto other projects, where does that leave wipeoutHD? What we have now; is this it?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Colin has not been involved with wipeout since HD hit.

Worked his way up from "game tester" well that's what's on the credits of WO3 .
    To overseer of HD,then he has moved on,,,to what,I don't know

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    ... then he has moved on,,,to what,I don't know
    To the next incarnation of Wipeout. @PS: Dream on boy. xD

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Respect!
    You pull apart games.
    Colin makes them and has been in the industry for years.

He also PLAYS games.

PSN ID
    Coucouoeuf

That's good news :
    1/ Seems they continue to support the game (even if a lot of upgrades should been made for online gaming such as displaying ping for instance)
    2/ Ads are not that long anymore so it doesnt lower the game experience.

PSN ID
    drMannevond

@Mic & JJPAP : I've seen the new ads here in Norway, so don't feel to safe
    Also, just for fun, I sent a complaint about this to the nowegian consumer protection agency. This is deceptive marketing if you ask me. I paid money for an AD-FREE product. I expect it to stay that way, or at the very least - be notified in big blinking letters about the possibility that "This product may be degraded by annoying ads that ruin the feel of the game and destroy your speakers at our discretion. Yours truly - Sony".

PSN ID
    Curufinwe5503

I'm in the US, and I got an ad for a PixelJunk game today when I was loading a track. Unfortunately, the loading slowed to an absolute crawl when the ad finished. Each line of the last third of the progress bar took about 5 seconds to show up.

Hopefully it was just a one-off.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Quote Originally Posted by osama bin haydn View Post
    have you guys lost so much money on wipeoutHD that introducing adverts for aditional revenue has been the only thing worth working on?
    They could have been working on other stuff at the same time couldn't they? Maybe this is just the thing that was completed first, because it was the simplest. Although it's a bit of a fail in terms of the information from Sony, as it does still affect load times. But anyway, even if it is the only thing they've been working on, then I'm sure there's plenty of other stuff still worthwhile, and that it's more likely that this took priority, for whatever reason.

As much as I hate the adverts in their current form, and as much as I think this game has been messed with a bit too much (not always with positive results), I do at least feel that the developers are passionate about improving the game and taking it forward, and that they think it worthwhile to support it. At least I hope so.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TorquedSoul

I'm having serious issues with ads.

I dont mind the advertising ... I do however dislike the amount of time it hangs after the ad has run. In some cases I am waiting for a minute.

PSN ID
    Thorinx

Quote Originally Posted by Connavar View Post
    Hopefully the next update will patch (= remove) the ads
    And what are your dreams when you sleep?
    USA was the first test candidate, now it spreads over to most European parts. Chances for removing this are as high as peace and justice taking the power instead of war and money.

Quote Originally Posted by ACE-FLO View Post
    I work with advertising, and I'll be damned if I'm to enjoy my leisuretime by being force fed ads from the game I'm wanting to play!
    That's one of the best contras I've heard so far. I wonder if either supporters or users of advertizement realize that they can't only create markets but also destroy them, because they over-annoy potential customers. I for my part do also boycott advertizers - most effectively while browsing

Quote Originally Posted by novide View Post
    I would pay 10 euros or so, if there is a patch, to stop it.
    That's how far we have come already Paying for not being penetrated by unwanted information. The sad part is: I guess i would also pay 10 euros. But this is also the wrong direction, says my mind...

Quote Originally Posted by AG-wolf View Post
    In pure, the Puma and Coke packs were nothing but blatand brand-plastering, ... what on earth could Puma shoes and Coca-Cola EVER have to do with Wipeout
    You might not want to hear that, but I think Puma fits very well in those tracks. Coca-Cola too. Interestingly enough, both are monochrome brands with even the same two colors. Both are somehow speedy and stylish, enjoying my eye because it worked with the game design. (This other advertizement on the one same track did NOT fit at all - and I already forgot the name - eat that advertizers!)

Quote Originally Posted by JJPAP View Post
    Unfortunately I haven´t seen any commercials yet. Maybe - as Mic said - because we´re such a small country.
    Lucky you - I thought the same when I first read about ads in USA. But now I'm also doomed Someone put up wipEout-ish graphics, but they contain Jpeg-artefacts. Nothing more to say...

Advertizement NEVER EVER worked on me - it always annoyed me. Why?
    • It's horribly loud - on TV, on radio, on phone, on markets - and now in HD also. If it cannot be loud (because it is in a mag or somewhere else) it mostly destroys other things or even erases useful info beneath!
    • It is always cheap crap - it's never something useful. Stuff for the people, which isn't really needed and which breaks early. Or gets out of vogue. There are exception, but those surprisingly also advertize nearly never.
    • I don't ordered it and never said "Yes, give me more". And there is no way to turn it off. Day in day out I pass giant bills blocking me from being able to view the wonderful nature in its beauty. Everything they gain is my increasing wish of totally ruining the whole billboard!
    • They never have useful info. And if they're forced by law to include info, it's written way too small (TV). And there's always a nice or sexy smiling girl which should stimulate my instincts (for making me trust and believe this advertizer, I don't speak of reproduction instincts *g*).
      Sony, if I consider to buy Ghostbusters or else it might have been in the past - but now I don't want to anymore
    • It's a total waste of money AND energy. So much problems on this planet could have been solved already if we wouldn't try to convince someone to buy something he initially never wanted. Why this doesn't work? Because the first person in return gets also advertizements from all the others... And I better not list what amounts of energy spam eats Not to speak from all the wood/paper wasted for the daily flood in my letterbox...
    • It's even lying quite often: "The best...", "...for your health...", "...better...". Most bizarre ones occur with politicians on it before elections

One could argue: "By now all the WO-players are doing it for free, so if now there won't be so much players online because of the ads it's still better than not making money at all". That's even quite true. But this will have consequences which will last longer, as this isn't really a great magnet for (new) people who want to have a PS3. I could understand it very well if the fanbase will shrink. Sony seriously does not lose money in any way.

This is as naive as advertizements on DVDs, those who are not to be supposed to be skippable. Luckily enough some software players ignore these structure settings (and other tools even filter out strange law warnings).

My wish so far:
    make the advertizements at least mutable. Please!!
    Thanks for reading, whoever has influences on responsables.