Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: WipEout HD Patch 2.10 Incoming

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

I completely disagree with this feature, and i will right-away add my complaint with those of all other posters here.

First of all, Darkdrium777 couldn't have resumed it all better.

Also, in-game advertising in WipEout XL/2097 was INTEGRATED to game's concept without being disturbing, aggressive and annoying. Now with this 2.10 update, it's a complete another story.

I don't wanna watch TV ads when i play a game. I don't wanna hear about in-coming games with loud, obnoxious sound effects unrelated to WipEout. There's already constant and intense advertising in the XMB and PStore, i don't really see here the relevance of adding MORE ads in-game.

Plus, like its already mentioned, there's a lot of work to do to fix WipEout numerous problems. But instead of concentrating ALL the efforts of fixing them in the first place, you people at SL conjugates some ressources to find a way that ads won't affect loading times... WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON HERE?!?

-The game still suffers from some stuttering and frame-rate drops.
    -The gameplay still suffers from bad collision effects that compromise the fun factor and racing experience.
    -The game still suffers from random freezing and crashing - hell, it even happened to me will i was in the GRID SCREEN.
    -The freaking voice-chat feature is still inoperative after more than 1 year of existence, for God's sake and all that is holy!!!

And now what, its time to adequately program well-working IN-GAME ADS?!? Jesus guys...

Studio Liverpool, you guys just bifurcated on a very hazardous path. From now on, to anyone asking me how is WipEout HD/Fury, it'll be my pleasure to warn them about the forced and annoying ads featured within the game. Rest assured that when some people will know about that, their motivation toward buying the game will be negatively affected as much as my devotion and appreciation of your work is abruptly experiencing the same...

I really sincerely hope you guys step back from taking this lame decision and remove anything related to that from the great game you brought to life.

Daniel Rondeau, Montréal, Canada
    Last edited by Kyonshi; 29th October 2009 at 10:57 PM.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

I'd have no problem if it were some nicely designed, albeit subtle billboards/hover thingamys here and there. something tasteful like. Sadly from what I've read on here as soon as I download the patch I will no doubt spontaneously vom all over myself and my lovely carpet...as well as wanting to break something...and cry about the fact that my beloved game is getting worse, not better (that's the way most patches tend to work, in case you hadn't noticed, SL), much like the PS3 SKU's (imho). Maybe Sony are loosing the plot? I'll ask my friend (fantmusik) about it, not that it'll help.

Some more ramblings:
    At least with adverts on TV you can change the channel/adjust the volume. Unless you have a RAPID TV and the reflexes of a fly on uppers, I'm guessing this won't be possible...I may end up being forced to watch adverts for once

TV ads don't often delay the start of a programme that would otherwise have started on time...ok they might but i'm not sure.

The advert game that I play with my friends when i'm drunk might become a bit repetitive after a while (guess the brand as quickly as possible etc... : "SONY! I WIN" ..."SONY! I WIN AGAIN!" -_- )

Did they not get the hint last time around when the state-farm ads went down like a breeze-block-o-sh*t?

Lumps of dog in a bag --- 1
    SL + Sony + WOHD --- <0 (waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less)

WHAT'S HOT:Scantily-clad laydeez on beaches, Microsoft, This Legend ->

WHAT'S NOT:WOHD, SL press releases, Sony, This complete and utter twat (I think he works for Sony) ->
    Last edited by yeldar2097; 29th October 2009 at 11:17 PM.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

9 or so single player races later and an ad for Ghostbusters pops up.

I'm not saying I support these adverts the way they are currently presented but....

Resonate some understanding, Sony is going to put these adverts in the game one way or another so attack them, as in SCEE.

Some people seem to have their heads firmly lodged in their anus not realizing then, that Studio Liverpool DO NOT, pay attention to that part it is of vital importance here DO NOT have 100% control over the game once its been declared a finished product, do they have much control or a say in what goes down at all?

It's also just as narrow minded to crow on about them spending time on trying to make the ads fit in more and cause less annoyance (dunno if that's doable really) as if it was all their own idea, because of course there isn't anyone higher up here, no one to pull strings, give out orders that sort of thing, how silly of me to presume as such.

Lets all blame SL for everything, I've got some spare pitchforks here if anyone needs a lend, flaming torches too.

Quote Originally Posted by KGB1971 View Post
    Cheers for this, I didn't realize there was a problem with the audio.
    There seems to be some sort of problem on the Fury tracks, the echo sound effect for weapon impacts and such when you go through a tunnel seem to carry on when your not in one.
    Last edited by Rapier Racer; 29th October 2009 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Forgot bit about sound effects

Fair point that SL might not be behind this. The blog post is from an SCEE guy, if you read it.

I think advertisers will want us to think that adverts are "what it takes" to keep games going. I think this is probably false and if we start to believe it we will pay the price. Gaming has always been a harsh business - if a game doesn`t make money by sales there`s no point it getting made. C`est la vie and it applies to wipeout too. Advertising can`t save something that can`t make money. In the end, if we let it, in game advertising will exist solely in order to make more money for game developers and publishers. The advertising will become more and more in your face because they will be able to get away with it. Subtle advertising in HD they might get away with, but I don`t think advertisers understand that less could be more for them, in terms of reaching people efficiently instead of pissing them off. If loading times really are longer for those getting the ads I will not be able to believe anyone could be thoughtless and daft enough to implement it. So people with less than lightspeed internet are to be punished for that - nice!!

This is a big if, but IF wipeout hd was the most well-maintained, bug-free game, updated and maintained to the highest standards for offline and online play, then maybe, just MAYBE I could think this advertising was justifiable to maintain that service. But making me watch advertising to play a game full of bugs and problems that never get fixed and which are pretty much ignored is beyond the pale. Yes, Wipeout HD is cheap to us, but to general gamers £18 is a pretty fair price to pay for what you get and isn`t so cheap that adverts are a fair thing to put up with.

At least its only the EU gamers who have to put up with the ads at the mo. The US players seem to be ad free.

I had ads 7 times tonight and culminated in a total lock up of my ps3 and it took 5 mins before it would turn back on. Never had a single problem till this patch came out. lots of players tonight reporting lots of stuttering during races and loss of music. seems to be the age old thing of fix one thing and something else breaks.

i hate the ads but now they`re there i will persevere if it continues to give us more actual game content.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

The US Wipers had their own dose of this months ago, apparently it was worse than this increasing loading times by a ridiculous amount, ads were pulled due to outrage.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

........................................_______
    What they have improved = √F**k all

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

They're definitely too loud - significantly above the normal game volume, which I have on default settings I believe.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    MetaKraken (formerly MechaKraken)

Yeah, ads are a no go for Wipeout HD (unless they're adding it for certain countries). Besides, Wipeout's fictional sceneries does'nt seem to relate to real-life ads.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    abukii

At least theyre SONY related ads. Id much rather see an LBP ad than State Farm...so kudos for that. Besides, it helps animate the load screen a bit. You know, the whole 5 seconds...I dont think its that bad.

wtf? they seriosuly brought this stuff back.

i'm amazed. seriously, amazed. thank god i got the blu-ray, offline play without updating for me.

Another brilliant move Sony.

This is just baffling, of all ps3 games, wipeout is one of the most solid in it's alternate worlds that you go off to, to play in and enjoy and they're chucking real world adverts into it...........again.

How can anyone justify altering something people already purchased, in the supposed safe knowledge, no morons were going to pull some sh*t like this!

it's a real shame.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Abukii, it actually slows down the loading time uselessly and aggravates the performance of the game, as many players already reported. So yeah, there's something wrong with those 5 seconds.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    brummpahh

Ohhh, m8's, i'm so p*ssed with these ads !!!

The only thing i can assure you SONY / SL:

i will refuse to buy a single one of the
    advertised products. Go! bankrupt.

can someone check if it's legal to corrupt a
    good i've bought long time ago ?

what if a car company came to your home to put stickers onto your car after sale ? at least they'd not be LOUD and ANNOYING.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

I go to sleep early last night, and i have to read through 6pages of thisshit.

Not a good way to start the day.

Time to start this download.

Might be ready by lunch time, pending on how retarded the connection is today.

Ill give you an update later on, on my opinion about this update.

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

Least I havn't updated yet. I'll just play offline if it asks me too.

Woo 777 posts.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Did the update then, went in the game, haven't noticed any differences, but still the same crappy lag online, vista pads, marshmallow controls, you name it.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

There has always been an air of inevitability about advertising making a reappearance since the "State Farm" debacle the US guys had with the FURY DLC .
    It was only technical problems that caused the initial ad's to be withdrawn, and only a matter of time before those technical problems were fixed and the ad's returned.

I suppose and hope the ad's will be region specific,seems rather pointless to have ad's for a product that is unavailable.
    I've yet to install the update ,so I'm ad's free atm,but it would seem from what I have read that even if ad's have yet to appear on Australian based players consoles,the online game play will still suffer when playing people who do have the ad's appearing,as we will have to wait either in the lobby or on the starting grid while the ad's play through.

I sincerely doubt SL wanted this intrusion into wipeout,they are after all solely a game design company,not an advertising agency,this would be as much of a disappointment for them as it is for us,as members of SL have posted here previously,they play wipeout as well.

Anybody that is not blind can see the responsibility for this happening coming initially from SCEA and then thrusted into the lap of SCEE to implement as well.

I can't see it going away a second time,no matter how much we protest.
    An end to an era of ad free gaming as we have known it.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Wait, these are load screen ads? As in commercials? As in "stay tuned" and "don't touch that dial" and "now a word from our sponsor?" The press release referred to billboards.

So they play even when you're not online? Or just when you're in online races? If it were a means to continually fund the online service, maybe it wouldn't be so bad, since time viewing them would be proportional to time spent online, but it doesn't sound like that.

Clearly inferior to billboards on the tracks either way.
    Last edited by Koleax; 30th October 2009 at 05:48 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I'm not sure.

I'm only going on information that has been previously posted in this thread by others that have the ad's appearing.
    The previous "State Farm" ad's were of the loading variety,I know that much.

Here is a link to what was happening with the State Farm ad's pre technical fix ,you can see why all the complaints and why it was promptly disenabled.

http://fidgit.com/archives/2009/07/p...nline_stat.php
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 30th October 2009 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Added information

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Yep, Koleax, they appear in loading screens. Also when playing offline. And they have exactly that "stay tuned"-character you're talking about. They look like TV ads. No wait. They are TV ads.

And as you can read in the blog post: The PlayStation specific advertising is just a try-out for other adverts to come.

By the way: they are especially annoying when you play with muted music. Cause you go from that more or less silent menu to the in-your-face-hey-I'm-loud-loading screens within one second.