Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    qirex

Exclamation WipEout HD Patch 2.10 Incoming

huh no thread about it yet?

Hello from Studio Liverpool…

We wanted to touch base with you all to share some information about the impending release of the 2.10 update for Wipeout HD / Fury that’s coming soon

The 2.10 Update makes some small improvements to front-end functionality and addresses some minor issues with the audio. In addition, small issues that could affect gameplay or scores in the Eliminator and Detonator game modes have also been corrected.

Changes have also been made so that any adverts shown during loading screens will not adversely affect the loading times of the title. As many of you know, the functionality to display adverts during loading screens was first introduced in the 2.0 Update and originally didn’t function as intended, leading to extended loading times in some areas of the game.

This issue has now been resolved and we understand that a new advertising campaign in Wipeout HD is expected to launch across a number of European territories soon (no word yet on what is happening in North America). In the meantime, a range of PlayStation-specific ads will be making an appearance in the coming days.

Wipeout and in-game advertising and sponsorship have gone hand-in-hand since 1996, when a now famous energy drink appeared in the seminal Wipeout 2097 and over the years many brands and products have been associated with the series.

It is our hope that by adopting this approach to dynamic advertising, it will be possible to create new associations in a unique way. We have therefore focussed on ensuring that the advertising is embedded as sympathetically to the overall experience as possible.

Finally, we’d like to remind everyone who hasn’t experienced the awesome adrenaline-rush that is Wipeout HD Fury, that the game is now also available on BluRay across Europe and that a Wipeout HD + Fury Expansion bundle is available to download from the PlayStation Store.
    from blog.eu.playstation.com

uh loading screen advertising is coming back.
    but sounds like they fixed the menu music bug.

PSN ID
    kgb1971

Cheers for this, I didn't realize there was a problem with the audio.

I can see this advertisement thing causing uproar here, haven't got a problem with it really, if it means we might get more DLC then that's great, if it's just for Sony to make money then shame on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    I mean, just look at the press release: 1 paragraph of this announcement is dedicated to the bugs they've fixed (which really consists of four minor things at best), and 4 paragraphs to the return of ingame advertising.
    Betrayed by your own press release.
    I think you hit on what probably annoys me most about that blog post. It`s the corporate mentality revealed in what they choose to talk about, and the assumption that we really want to know about advert functionality more than the game functionality. A PS blog post bringing you information about new in game advertising, presented as good news, is a seriously weird thing. It wouldn`t surprise me at all if the adverts feature loud sound and are totally in your face. I don`t think the minds behind these campaigns really grasp subtleties. You have to wonder if the person or persons who wrote that post understand anything about their customers or just live and work in some corporate ivory tower assuming the rest of the world couldn`t possibly have different priorities. Hey, giving us Motorstorm and GT adverts is really about giving us "choice", isn`t it?

But that`s not really the point, KGB hit the nail on the head really:

Quote Originally Posted by KGB1971 View Post
    if it means we might get more DLC then that's great, if it's just for Sony to make money then shame on them.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    It wouldn`t surprise me at all if the adverts feature loud sound and are totally in your face.
    They are loud sound and they are totally in your face.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Maybe I (and my dog) will take a in a and set it alight then stick it on their doorstep - it's a classic

:sadface comme ca -->

PSN ID
    kgb1971

Not gonna be able to see these delights until tomorrow as I had to move the ps3 into my kids bedroom, what are they advertising, has it affected the load times?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Quote Originally Posted by KGB1971 View Post
    ... if it means we might get more DLC then that's great, if it's just for Sony to make money then shame on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zitrax View Post
    What if every cent returned from the commercials go directly to hire new bug-fixing developers

Guys,

do

not

believe

that

the

ads

do

help

WipEout!

If you have to base content creation on getting paid by ads, then you're
    already on the way down! So either the game can stand on itself or we are
    lost. The ads are there to make money. It's as simple as that.

And I'm 100% sure that some of the native creators of the game are also not
    pleased about implementing ads in the game (in the way it's done here). But
    that's the price to pay having sold WipEout to Sony -- to see how the game
    gets trashed over time and how it's used as a vehicle to spoil the public. Did
    anyone remember that guy from SL saying; "WipEout is a showcase title for
    the PSN."? Now you know.
    Well, it's known that SL has develop a lot of technology for the PSN. And I
    guess that the infrastructure for the ads were part of the plan right from the
    start (from Sony). So I'm pretty sure that we will see this technology in other
    PSN games quite soon.

It hurts so much to see that such a brilliant game like WipEout gets trashed
    by common bullsh!t. Unbelievable....

PSN ID
    kgb1971

Quote Originally Posted by ProblemSolver View Post
    If you have to base content creation on getting paid by ads, then you're
    already on the way down! So either the game can stand on itself or we are
    lost. The ads are there to make money. It's as simple as that.
    Not sure if I agree with this, were now in the first stages of gaming where this is even possible, maybe this will become the norm in years to come, if sponsorship is what it takes to keep this game going then so be it.

I was outraged when they started sponsoring Coronation Street but I learned to live with it . Just the way the world turns these days.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    SonicChaosX

I haven't had an advert yet out of 6-7 races so I don't know what's going on with that, but if that's what it takes to keep a game going, I'm all for it.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    abukii

At least theyre SONY related ads. Id much rather see an LBP ad than State Farm...so kudos for that. Besides, it helps animate the load screen a bit. You know, the whole 5 seconds...I dont think its that bad.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Golgofier

I guess I could live with ads in WO as long as the products are WO-compatible and it's done in a tasteful manner. Done correctly, it could even be pretty... cool

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

As long as advertising fits the WO-Sponsor Logos and don't occur too often – no problem with it.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

Good news if it improves the functionality of the game, but...

I can't say I'm happy about the adverts, especially when the game cost £18 with the Fury addition. I'll only let Studio Liverpool off if it means more WipEout in the future and it doesn't inflict my time with irrelevant insurance adverts, PS3 adverts would be OK. Although I'm not too keen on Sony's aggressive marketing on customers who have already paid for things, the XMB has the 'What's new' and the ticker which are quite annoying. I wouldn't mind 2097 style advertising where the advert (Red Bull in 2097's case) feels part of the game world.

That's enough ramblings for now.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Just had an advert in one of my loading screens.
    It's sh1t.

The sound of breaking tires is just not fitting to a WipEout game.
    Sound itself is annoying.
    And I don't want any videos.
    And if videos: Put in some 2D vector animation.
    Put in 2D vectors anyway – the WOHD menu is so minimalistic (which equals fantastic) so why would I want to see some over-colored-shadow-glare-3D-logos all over the place?

Bäh.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

What's this ticker people talk about? Pretty sure I don't have it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Wäääh the ads annoy me. Every 5-10 loading times they show up.
    Gran Turismo and Arctic Edge Videos … with loud sound of course.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Now I know what to NOT download.

Cheers.

I`d really like to hear a decent justification for making people watch additional adverts in a product they already paid for. There may be one, but I can`t see it in the blog post. Why are we being informed about improved advert functionality? We should care why? As customers the game functionality is what we care about, not Sony profits by additional advertising.

"Wipeout and in-game advertising and sponsorship have gone hand-in-hand since 1996" is just an appeal to history in the hope of getting some sympathy for advertising now. The cases are different. There is no argument there as to why additional adverts are desirable or justified now.

"it will be possible to create new associations in a unique way." I`m sure it will, but what`s in it for the consumer who has already paid for a product that did not include loading screen adverts?

If there`s something in it for the customer, which was argued with Pure`s Puma packs, then fine, but if it`s just a test of a way to make more money for Sony, and it`s the thin end of the wedge for this sort of thing happening a lot more then it`s not fine and we should resist an attempt to make us pay for games twice - once with our cash and once by watching the adverts.