Thread: WipEout HD Patch 2.10 Incoming

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    qirex

Exclamation WipEout HD Patch 2.10 Incoming

huh no thread about it yet?

Hello from Studio Liverpool…

We wanted to touch base with you all to share some information about the impending release of the 2.10 update for Wipeout HD / Fury that’s coming soon

The 2.10 Update makes some small improvements to front-end functionality and addresses some minor issues with the audio. In addition, small issues that could affect gameplay or scores in the Eliminator and Detonator game modes have also been corrected.

Changes have also been made so that any adverts shown during loading screens will not adversely affect the loading times of the title. As many of you know, the functionality to display adverts during loading screens was first introduced in the 2.0 Update and originally didn’t function as intended, leading to extended loading times in some areas of the game.

This issue has now been resolved and we understand that a new advertising campaign in Wipeout HD is expected to launch across a number of European territories soon (no word yet on what is happening in North America). In the meantime, a range of PlayStation-specific ads will be making an appearance in the coming days.

Wipeout and in-game advertising and sponsorship have gone hand-in-hand since 1996, when a now famous energy drink appeared in the seminal Wipeout 2097 and over the years many brands and products have been associated with the series.

It is our hope that by adopting this approach to dynamic advertising, it will be possible to create new associations in a unique way. We have therefore focussed on ensuring that the advertising is embedded as sympathetically to the overall experience as possible.

Finally, we’d like to remind everyone who hasn’t experienced the awesome adrenaline-rush that is Wipeout HD Fury, that the game is now also available on BluRay across Europe and that a Wipeout HD + Fury Expansion bundle is available to download from the PlayStation Store.
    from blog.eu.playstation.com

uh loading screen advertising is coming back.
    but sounds like they fixed the menu music bug.

PSN ID
    kgb1971

Cheers for this, I didn't realize there was a problem with the audio.

I can see this advertisement thing causing uproar here, haven't got a problem with it really, if it means we might get more DLC then that's great, if it's just for Sony to make money then shame on them.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Golgofier

I guess I could live with ads in WO as long as the products are WO-compatible and it's done in a tasteful manner. Done correctly, it could even be pretty... cool

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

As long as advertising fits the WO-Sponsor Logos and don't occur too often – no problem with it.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

Good news if it improves the functionality of the game, but...

I can't say I'm happy about the adverts, especially when the game cost £18 with the Fury addition. I'll only let Studio Liverpool off if it means more WipEout in the future and it doesn't inflict my time with irrelevant insurance adverts, PS3 adverts would be OK. Although I'm not too keen on Sony's aggressive marketing on customers who have already paid for things, the XMB has the 'What's new' and the ticker which are quite annoying. I wouldn't mind 2097 style advertising where the advert (Red Bull in 2097's case) feels part of the game world.

That's enough ramblings for now.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Just had an advert in one of my loading screens.
    It's sh1t.

The sound of breaking tires is just not fitting to a WipEout game.
    Sound itself is annoying.
    And I don't want any videos.
    And if videos: Put in some 2D vector animation.
    Put in 2D vectors anyway – the WOHD menu is so minimalistic (which equals fantastic) so why would I want to see some over-colored-shadow-glare-3D-logos all over the place?

Bäh.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

What's this ticker people talk about? Pretty sure I don't have it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Wäääh the ads annoy me. Every 5-10 loading times they show up.
    Gran Turismo and Arctic Edge Videos … with loud sound of course.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Now I know what to NOT download.

Cheers.

I`d really like to hear a decent justification for making people watch additional adverts in a product they already paid for. There may be one, but I can`t see it in the blog post. Why are we being informed about improved advert functionality? We should care why? As customers the game functionality is what we care about, not Sony profits by additional advertising.

"Wipeout and in-game advertising and sponsorship have gone hand-in-hand since 1996" is just an appeal to history in the hope of getting some sympathy for advertising now. The cases are different. There is no argument there as to why additional adverts are desirable or justified now.

"it will be possible to create new associations in a unique way." I`m sure it will, but what`s in it for the consumer who has already paid for a product that did not include loading screen adverts?

If there`s something in it for the customer, which was argued with Pure`s Puma packs, then fine, but if it`s just a test of a way to make more money for Sony, and it`s the thin end of the wedge for this sort of thing happening a lot more then it`s not fine and we should resist an attempt to make us pay for games twice - once with our cash and once by watching the adverts.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

You know what I see when I read that statement?

An excellent argument AGAINST digital download games.

Annoying advertising wouldn't be a part of any game that you buy on solid media, who's gonna pay for that? When you don't own the game though, when it's a digital distribution updated/patched by the platform it's run on, they can get away with this kind of thing: modify the game after you've already bought it.

First time I've seen such conclusive evidence/proof that digitial download really has a serious downside.

Well, at least it's currently a choice about whether or not you're installing the update, right?

I hope so.

Not having a PS3 I don't yet have to worry about this kind of problem, first time I've been happy about that. 8 )

It seems my german partners got the adverts

How does the update behave?
    Do you get asked if you want do download it?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

I have nothing against advertising, but as SaturnReturn said, it must fit the
    game, and not be disturbing, then I'm all for it, if it helps the studio, which in
    turn will consolidate a next Wipeout installment.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    billychanxtr33m

as long as adverts=more content ill deal

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

looks like they're onto a winner here, good idea

*Cue stunned silence*

NOT

Hooray for in-game adverts and almost certainly even more bullshit and bugs than before -_-

P.S. Yes I am being a little extreme but I'm still pissed
    Last edited by yeldar2097; 29th October 2009 at 07:40 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I have one problem with this patch: it means SL spent all this time correctly implementing the advertising function instead of fixing bugs.
    I mean, just look at the press release: 1 paragraph of this announcement is dedicated to the bugs they've fixed (which really consists of four minor things at best), and 4 paragraphs to the return of ingame advertising.
    Betrayed by your own press release.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    QjonPL

Well, at least it's currently a choice about whether or not you're installing the update, right?
    No.
    On PS3, if you have a console logged into PlayStation Network, updates are checked and installed automatically when you turn the game on. You can NOT install the update, but if so, you won't be able to play the game online, so it's useless...

Damn you Sony, you're turning into Capcom - money-leecher
    They can put them into a trial version if they want - because it's free, but I paid for a full game, Sony got my money, so why the heck they're STEALING even more?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

You paid for a full game, how much? Like 20 euros? It's easily worth 60 or more.
    Not that I'm defending them, just pointing out you paid 1/3 of the price of what
    it's really worth, IMO.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Quote Originally Posted by Connavar View Post
    I have nothing against advertising, but as SaturnReturn said, it must fit the
    game, and not be disturbing, then I'm all for it, if it helps the studio, which in
    turn will consolidate a next Wipeout installment.
    I agree with this opinion of mine that I never expressed. Don't worry Connavar, I confused 'Sausehuhn' with my own name..."WTF? I don't remember typing that".

My own opinion is that it kinda sucks. But if it means more WipEout in the future then OK. At the same time though, they shouldn't underprice the game and then throw the ads in later to try and make up some revenue. If it all goes to Sony then it will suck more. But I do get free access to PSN, so maybe I can deal with it. Although, if they're full video ads with audio etc, then I'm sure I'll find it very annoying. And I do agree with Darkdrium, more focus should be given on addressing bugs, particularly ones that were there to start with.

In short - yer, but no, but yer, but no, but....ugh ads!

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    MetaKraken (formerly MechaKraken)

if they're going to add up in-game ads that involves State Farm again, then I'm not sure what kind of sick ideas they have up in their sleeves. If they're going to add in-game ads that involoves FX racing teams, then I'm ok with it.

Wipeout is supposed to be fictional. There's not a single futuristic Burger King around Vineta K, or even a Toys R' us store around Metropia.