Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: WipEout HD Patch 2.10 Incoming

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

If I'm not totally wrong, the game told me to download the patch if I want to start the game. Not 100% sure, though.
    I have nothing agains some fitting adverts, really, but, seriously, what they do now is just f***ing annoying. It destroys the flow of the game for me.

Show some logos, why not, in duo-color or something, but I don't want a whole animated video advertisement or some misplayed graphics while playing. It sucks.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Syntek

Quote Originally Posted by MetaKraken View Post
    Wipeout is supposed to be fictional. There's not a single futuristic Burger King around Vineta K, or even a Toys R' us store around Metropia.
    Would make more sense if you saw a floating Burger king Advert with flying cars going through them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    I mean, just look at the press release: 1 paragraph of this announcement is dedicated to the bugs they've fixed (which really consists of four minor things at best), and 4 paragraphs to the return of ingame advertising.
    Betrayed by your own press release.
    I think you hit on what probably annoys me most about that blog post. It`s the corporate mentality revealed in what they choose to talk about, and the assumption that we really want to know about advert functionality more than the game functionality. A PS blog post bringing you information about new in game advertising, presented as good news, is a seriously weird thing. It wouldn`t surprise me at all if the adverts feature loud sound and are totally in your face. I don`t think the minds behind these campaigns really grasp subtleties. You have to wonder if the person or persons who wrote that post understand anything about their customers or just live and work in some corporate ivory tower assuming the rest of the world couldn`t possibly have different priorities. Hey, giving us Motorstorm and GT adverts is really about giving us "choice", isn`t it?

But that`s not really the point, KGB hit the nail on the head really:

Quote Originally Posted by KGB1971 View Post
    if it means we might get more DLC then that's great, if it's just for Sony to make money then shame on them.

PSN ID
    Constrictor4U

I was urged to install the 2.10 'patch' - stunned when I saw that because I didn't knew it was coming - when I started the game some hours ago.

@Sausehuhn: yep, no start w/o upgrade if you are psn online

@SL: Big fail guys. In fact, WipEout does suffer a decreasing (online) community; starting some months ago. With this great fix *sic* you are certainly speeding things up - to the negative. Go and die from the few extra $$$ made of this ad upgrade. More sooner than later there is nobody left watching this ad-crap as nobody plays the game anymore. Hopefully this is a hit based revenue model. So enjoy those few extra bucks for the time it will last and have a beer *cheers* and good bye - at least until I'm more relaxed.

I'm so, SO, p*ssed off.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    It wouldn`t surprise me at all if the adverts feature loud sound and are totally in your face.
    They are loud sound and they are totally in your face.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Maybe I (and my dog) will take a in a and set it alight then stick it on their doorstep - it's a classic

:sadface comme ca -->

PSN ID
    kgb1971

Not gonna be able to see these delights until tomorrow as I had to move the ps3 into my kids bedroom, what are they advertising, has it affected the load times?

Timezone
    GMT + 1

What if every cent returned from the commercials go directly to hire new bug-fixing developers

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    rocketclowns

Wow, this sounds bad...
    Haven't fired up WipEout yet, but I'm afraid next time I'm loading a track, I'll have a loud Gran Turismo ad pumping on my headphones.

PSN ID
    Dark_Phantom_89

Oh god, please don't turn this fantastic game into an ad-fest, SL. It would totally cheapen and ruin it in my opinion.

I also haven't fired it up yet, maybe it's not as bad as I think it is?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Quote Originally Posted by KGB1971 View Post
    ... if it means we might get more DLC then that's great, if it's just for Sony to make money then shame on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zitrax View Post
    What if every cent returned from the commercials go directly to hire new bug-fixing developers

Guys,

do

not

believe

that

the

ads

do

help

WipEout!

If you have to base content creation on getting paid by ads, then you're
    already on the way down! So either the game can stand on itself or we are
    lost. The ads are there to make money. It's as simple as that.

And I'm 100% sure that some of the native creators of the game are also not
    pleased about implementing ads in the game (in the way it's done here). But
    that's the price to pay having sold WipEout to Sony -- to see how the game
    gets trashed over time and how it's used as a vehicle to spoil the public. Did
    anyone remember that guy from SL saying; "WipEout is a showcase title for
    the PSN."? Now you know.
    Well, it's known that SL has develop a lot of technology for the PSN. And I
    guess that the infrastructure for the ads were part of the plan right from the
    start (from Sony). So I'm pretty sure that we will see this technology in other
    PSN games quite soon.

It hurts so much to see that such a brilliant game like WipEout gets trashed
    by common bullsh!t. Unbelievable....

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Wipeout and in-game advertising and sponsorship have gone hand-in-hand since 1996, when a now famous energy drink appeared in the seminal Wipeout 2097 and over the years many brands and products have been associated with the series.
    Bullshit

Let me ask you four questions.

1. Were any of these in-game advertising campaigns added in after people had already purchased the game?
    2. Were any of these campaigns featuring loud, unpleasant sound and annoying videos?
    3. Were any of these campaigns clashing with the visual art style the game is so famous for?
    4. Were any of these campaigns detrimental to the continual improvement of the game and the franchise in general?

Here are my answers:
    1. No
    2. No
    3. No
    4. NO

You have proven by actually going through with this that you haven't a single care in the world for what the actual quality of the game is.
    1. You don't care about pissing off loyal customers and fans by integrating an annoying mechanic that the end user cannot get rid of into the game AFTER it has been purchased by this user.
    2. You don't care about this feature being absolutely annoying and playing absolutely horribly loud and disagreeable sounds.
    3. You don't care if these ads degrade the look and style of the game. It's been proven with the State Farm ads featuring annoying beatbox/electro music, and not fitting the graphical style of the loading screen it's integrated into.
    4. This is probably the worst: you don't care about fixing bugs and improving the game for everyone who bought it, and instead shove advertising into their faces. There are dozens of bugs still unfixed, but instead of working on those and providing quality content to the customer, you go ahead and do what you did.

Shame on you.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kaori714

Hey Darkdrium, where have you this photo of my mate leungbok ?

PSN ID
    stever

It could just be coincidence but since today's patch I've had:

- the person in the race who happened to get adverts is always the one that takes longest to load into the race

- a full game and machine crash that happened for 5 of 6 players in a zb race

- music (menu and in game) disappearing for 3 races of a tournament then suddenly coming back after a glitch at the start of a race

- increased stuttering and lag in game

None of which have ever been problems for me before. Anybody else found similar since the patch or is it just coincidence?

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Do they appear when you play offline?

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

I'm also annoyed that since I have not downloaded the patch I now cannot stay signed in on PSN if I boot up Wipe-ingameadvertising-out (please? )...

fail

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Just had my first advert. It definitely takes longer. It was only a three player game and took longer to load than a normal 8 player game. It was the same players as I was playing with just last night, when the games were loading almost instantly with 4 of us in. Now the load times last just long enough to display the full advert. Funny that. Not happy!

PSN ID
    kgb1971

Quote Originally Posted by ProblemSolver View Post
    If you have to base content creation on getting paid by ads, then you're
    already on the way down! So either the game can stand on itself or we are
    lost. The ads are there to make money. It's as simple as that.
    Not sure if I agree with this, were now in the first stages of gaming where this is even possible, maybe this will become the norm in years to come, if sponsorship is what it takes to keep this game going then so be it.

I was outraged when they started sponsoring Coronation Street but I learned to live with it . Just the way the world turns these days.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Well, I already felt punched in the gut, when they decided to "update" the game with fewer FPS. Now I wonder if they're going to kick me in the balls.

It's weird because I rather like ads in racing games. The teams need sponsors to survive. It looks more natural, alive and authentic, especially on metropolitan tracks. However, I expect advertisers would want their ads viewed at the best possible 60 FPS without frame drops. Too bad. I actually feel sorry for the advertisers.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    SonicChaosX

I haven't had an advert yet out of 6-7 races so I don't know what's going on with that, but if that's what it takes to keep a game going, I'm all for it.