Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Excuses for losing & 1st place "bonuses"

PSN ID
    kgb1971

I really wish people would stop saying the MP times mean nothing, if it was that easy to get a good time they would be faster than TT, they're not.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by Connavar View Post
    Anyway this is irrelevant, who really cares about multiplayer times anyway?
    Those who can't reach top ranks on TT/sl/zone, i suppose.
    Not the case for Obh, however.

I totally understand that it's fun to have a multiplayer record, but it's false to believe that it's because the owner is the world best pilot.

Off course a great pilot will have more opportunities to reach top ranks on mp leaderboard.

I agree with Connavar and IMO the best pilots are the high ranked ones on TT/sl/zone.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

I'm surprised that there's any surprise about the best race times being beaten. The game is inherently all about practice. The longer it's been out, the more practice all the pilots have, the more likely it is that the best times will be beaten. Track knowledge is a key factor as well, knowing where the pads are and using them. The last thing I'd assume is that there's some malicious code in the game that changes pickup probabilities based on the phase of the moon and the colour of your socks. Expect the best times to be beaten, always. Once the games been out for 5 or 10 years, sure, then I might expect the top times to become static.

i agree with conavar about TT being more accurate to skill than MP..i have got really good times in sme MP i no way deserved..for better than my skill only cos i got way too many turbos and auto pilots...with TT and SL its even playing field for all..no luck only skill..

Mp times are still good but not too accurate when comparing skills of players.

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

Quote Originally Posted by KGB1971 View Post
    I really wish people would stop saying the MP times mean nothing, if it was that easy to get a good time they would be faster than TT, they're not.
    Agreed. And what about people like myself, who aren't into shortcuts or insane amounts of BR's? I love to stay on the track and work my lines...thats the fun of wipeout for me, so I understand I'll never be truly competitive but my MP times were (probably not now as I haven't really played in months) in the top 50/100. I was proud of that!!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

And you can. Multiplayer races needs skills too : reflexes to avoid weapon's shots, good lines, requires precision to hit opponents, a good tactical sense... and also an amount of luck

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

@OBH: Just a question; do you have brummpahh's permission to quote his
    entire PN?

... We know there is a probability to get a certain item, however the probability
    function is not flat, I'm sure you have more chances to get specific items under
    specific conditions, for example I'm 100% sure you have a lot more chance to
    get a shield after you hear "Quake", than any other item. ...
    a few weeks ago ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ProblemSolver View Post
    ... I'm currently looking into whether there is also a shield-pickup / quake
    relation. It seems that when a quake is incoming the first or second item pad
    is, more likely, a shield. ...
    This.

... About turbos, it looks like everyone just gets more turbos than usual, however
    I can't prove it yet,....
    Well, without having read any discussion about it, I also recognized a
    somewhat higher boost distribution. Last week I said to myself; hmm ...
    seems like the game gives someone the possibility to go for a new world
    record if certain conditions are met. Within the last few weeks I had races
    where boosts were coming like crazy esp. when being in the lead. And I had
    a similar situation on VK, lately. I got two boosts within the first lap and I
    knew somehow that I got 'selected', i.e. I knew that I would now get a lot of
    boosts, which was actually the case. They were coming one after another.
    Despite I messed up the given run it was enough for rank 5! And it could
    had been about 1.5 seconds faster, which would had been rank 1 by a long
    way. Have I become that good (within just a few weeks playing online) to
    get rank 5 on a track which is raced on for over a year?
    Additionally, my best-lap (19.1x) for the record in question is the worst one
    from all other top10 best-lap times (~18.5x). So either I got two or three
    boosts more than any other one got ever before or I'm just the man xD since
    going by a best-lap time of about 18.5x seconds, I could race at least 2.5
    seconds faster given the same amount of boosts as I got in this race, which
    would yield a time of about 1.5 seconds faster as the current world record.
    Well, I'm just questioned why nobody got this opportunity for about a year
    now, but I got it within just a few week ... since Fury is out.

Are the pick-ups completely random? Nope. Have you ever seen two, three, or
    four quakes on the track at the same time? No. And it doesn't even happen in
    Eliminator. Hence, the pick-ups aren't completely random, some information is
    distributed online. Complete randomness on the pick-ups is useless to say at
    least. The game can be much more fun and challenging if the pick-ups aren't
    completely random -- if they are distributed in some special way (for example
    in an act / counteract fashion) which may also depend on the current situation
    at hand.
    Last edited by ProblemSolver; 26th October 2009 at 01:53 PM.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

just a quick point about rb7's 1.42 on sol 2...that can be done without any boosts and only 6 BRs.
    maybe there's something he's not telling us???? like wormwoodmoridins permaboost

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    arch595esc

"He's beating me cause he's cfw!! Cheating ****!!!!?!?!?!!"

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

@ Connavar
    100% agree with no vista pads = potential for more turbos (and apologies if it appears i was implying you are a sore loser perhaps i should have created a thread for each seperate point as they are both very different)

@ Task
    Expertly said

@ ProblemSolver
    Do i need written permission to quote a pm? not having a bash at brummpahh personally, said at the beginning he's a sound, friendly and polite geezer who i would not say a bad word about. Just believe he has some wacky views on things.

Quote Originally Posted by leungbok View Post
    Multiplayer races needs skills too : reflexes to avoid weapon's shots, good lines, requires precision to hit opponents, a good tactical sense... and also an amount of luck
    Its strange, while i agree with almost every word you say here on WZ, I also get confused. You happily believe multiplayer requires skill + luck; but in the same breath believe only people who cannot reach top TT/SL/Zone times care about multiplayer times? I just dont understand that...... If somoene said to me im not even a half-decent WO player because i have decent MP times but dont do zone id laugh (though they could no doubt think of genuine reasons why i suck ). I just cant stand zone as it takes too bloody long to finish a session.

I believe TT teaches you A LOT about the track, ive gone from hating it to loving it. Its amazing how much time you can lose by drifting out wide even the slightest amount, but i also believe putting that TT practice into an online competative situation, and producing your TT form is one of (if not THE) toughest thing you can do on wipeout. Espeically if your room is full of 'zoners.

Quote Originally Posted by leungbok View Post
    I totally understand that it's fun to have a multiplayer record, but it's false to believe that it's because the owner is the world best pilot.
    Very true. But neither is a TT / SL expert if all he can do online is absorb weapons and get shot in the face

Cant seem to help myself from drifting off topic......

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

...or the arse

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Quote Originally Posted by osama bin haydn View Post
    ... @ ProblemSolver
    Do i need written permission to quote a pm? not having a bash at brummpahh personally, said at the beginning he's a sound, friendly and polite geezer who i would not say a bad word about. Just believe he has some wacky views on things. ...
    Whether bash or not, one needs permission to fully quote a PM (Private Message) from
    the person in question. A PM is similar to a closed letter and even an administator isn't
    allowed to read PMs not adressed specificially to him/her. This holds true for all western
    countries and esp. here in the European Union. However, you are allowed to quote small
    parts of a PM, email, or a letter without requiring permissions. The lines are blurred in this
    case. It depends. As a general guidline it's always save to ask beforehand.

In the given case, if you don't have any permissions, I would remove his name and only
    quote some small parts of his PM, if necessary. Or you can just write; I had a discussion
    with brummpahh about 'xyz', i.e. describe what was written with your own words.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Are you playing with me? christ i hope he's not angry. If so im banning myself from making threads. Swear it always causes controversy and is inevitably locked...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Hey OBH, just keep it as a reminder.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Okay so yes there are some hidden rules.
    One I know is that two people cannot carry a quake at the same time. If someone has a quake and holds it, nobody else will ever get a quake. Ever.
    There are probably other rules like that, like no more than three turbos, no more than five rockets, etc. These go along with the rarity levels for the weapons.
    I don't believe that because you are in the lead you will get more turbos however. That is entirely up to luck.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Never thought of the number of items being held in total.

Though is that 100% true? I ask because ive been hit by 2, and on a rare occasion 3, consecutive quakes. Reckon thats just sheer luck??

Thinking about it, if this is true, keeping your turbos for a specific jump is more useful than i realised simply for reducing the numbo of turbos the other players can pick up.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I remember trying to do a backquake meeting a forward quake in the game.
    Can't remember who I was trying with, but they picked up the first quake.
    I spent five minutes shifting between two pads on Moa Therma. Never got a quake.
    He fired the quake, I picked one up in the next thirty seconds. He couldn't get a quake again.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Its strange, while i agree with almost every word you say here on WZ, I also get confused. You happily believe multiplayer requires skill + luck; but in the same breath believe only people who cannot reach top TT/SL/Zone times care about multiplayer times?
    I think some can believe that yes (i still wonder what means the fact of doing mp races with only 2 players ), as i think that some br haters can't perform many of them, BUT not everybody of course.
    Wotan or Yeldar are two of the best tt/sl pilots and they love mp races and have some records on those tables. I like mp too, but i don't care of the time i can reach on it, and that from the release of HD when i had some records.

Very true. But neither is a TT / SL expert if all he can do online is absorb weapons and get shot in the face
    True, lol. But IMO when you can be fast with good lines, lot of difficult BRs/shortcuts and smart sideshifting, to learn the logical use of weapons and to keep calm (maybe not that easy ) is not a big deal

To be back on topic, i feel too that the boosts are more numerous since Fury (when you're in front with all the weapon's pad available). It seems too that the same weapon pad gives often the same weapon lap after lap, i experimented that several times, but it's not an indisputed rule

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    Okay so yes there are some hidden rules.
    One I know is that two people cannot carry a quake at the same time. If someone has a quake and holds it, nobody else will ever get a quake. Ever.
    That's believable, since avoiding multiple quakes could avoid bugs, and SL has been known to do unusual things to avoid bugs (e.g. "contender eliminated" not meaning what it says in MP matches). However, I do remember seeing two or three quakes in opposite directions in very quick succession, do I don't actually think this is the case. It's just more believable, given SLs behavior.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kaori714

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    I remember trying to do a backquake meeting a forward quake in the game.
    Can't remember who I was trying with, but they picked up the first quake.
    I spent five minutes shifting between two pads on Moa Therma. Never got a quake.
    He fired the quake, I picked one up in the next thirty seconds. He couldn't get a quake again.
    We had tried that on Moa therma, in WipEout Pulse, with tioscarab and maybe you and others, and it was impossible 2 players had both one quake.