Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Excuses for losing & 1st place "bonuses"

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Unhappy Excuses for losing & 1st place "bonuses"

Lately ive had a few people say that they believe -

A) since fury's come out the player in first is given "better weapons" as such, and
    B) That Higher ranked players recieve a "boost".....

Here are the quotes, im interested in what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by shhhhh! Im not allowed to tell anyone!! xD

just a short impression why i think online competition is odd:

just assume for a short moment that i'm
    right: a good pilot get's:
    - more speed
    - the right weapon just in time
    - HEAVIER impact of these weapons
    - more turbos
    - ramming priority

this leaves only 2 conclusions:
    - competition against a good player is odd, u don't have a chance - you have to become a good player to compete

you said it's an excuse 4 loosing and i say: i can handle loosing, otherwise i would quit WO playing.

I can turn it other way round:
    when i play a weaker player:
    - i allways get a missile when he manages to overtake me
    - i overlap him without using br's,
    he br's like hell and has perfect laps
    - i can slow him down to halt, even
    with a light MG salve
    - i can fall off 2 times, drive like drunk
    and still win
    - i get more turbos when i'm behind
    - i even get 5 quakes or what it takes
    to stop him
    This is fact. I'm experiencing it every day.

Since this is not programmed fair (don't blame me - blame SL), online competition is odd when the system regards one player "up" and the other "down".

I know how to get "up" in WO.

I don't mean online rank. It's rubbish. I mean "up" regarding the details i mentioned above.

Of course like u and others, i can keep a good secret. It works. I'm not a better pilot than i was 12 weeks ago, but my "up" improved massively. Still not enough 2 compete top 20 :-))))) Still i don't know if i'd invest the time for that. There's a thing called life...

Offline competition is fair, everyone has the same chances. this is why i can manage top 100 times at every track.

The best at last: you are "up", so you don't have to worry how to get there. Go Osama !

Kind regards,
    brummpahh
    Quote Originally Posted by Connavar (from his wipeout rankings site)
    "But I heard that with Fury it's much easier to do amazing times because you can receive tons of turbos like 7-8, especially if you're in front"

"It's true, look at some of hellfire videos, when he's in front, he receives sometimes 5-6-7 turbos!! Which I had almost never seen before, and that's not in just 1 race. It's not with Fury ships, it's just since Fury is out."
    Id like to take the time to say theres nothing personal against either of these two blokes Both sound, friendly, polite and fast players who i have a lot of time for, and they are not the only 2 who have expressed such opinions, just the only ones available for me to quote as supposed to psn pm's.

In a nutshell i think that -
    1) "Higher ranked" players recieving bonus' as such is just utterly ridiculous, and...
    2) Before FURY came out many turbos in a single race was hardly unheard of. Not regular by any means, but it DEFFINITELY isnt anything new.

I needed to make this thread as its just tipped my annoyance overboard really, there are so many people who believe that weapon races are either a joke / winners based purely on luck / not enjoyable / unfair / no skill etc, etc, etc. Its just starting to really do my nut in.

If you dont like it, go play Gran Turismo

Im really interested in what you guys believe to be true. Besides FURY tracks havining a much smaller area in which you need to hit to pick up weapons and hit speed pads, i dont think theres any huge difference to anything else.

If im well wide of the mark, please feel free to enlighten me
    I look forward to you replies!
    Last edited by OBH; 2nd November 2009 at 12:09 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kaori714

Once more time, a newbie who can be world champion of WipEout if... and if... and if...
    Don't waste your time with them.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

That's my team-mate !!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

It's either a famine or a feast with the turbos.

I must admit that I have found that occasionally,when you do get a run of turbos they are 1 or 2 more than pre FURY.
    I think my previous best EVER run on turbos pre Fury was 4 ,since FURY I've had more than a few races where I've had at least 6.

But then again I've gone through a 8 race tournament and not had one.

Don't think the weapons favor anybody,unless you consider picking up just mines & bombs while out in front favoritism.

Something wacky is going on.

The old swapped craft handling made a reappearance online earlier tonight,had my usual AG but it was oversteering like a zone craft,I messaged one person who I was racing against and they said the same happened to them,the game must of loaded zone battle handling to a normal race.

Anyway,all these things happen occasionally ,but NOT ALL the time as some might think .

My 2 cents

Checking your online time immediately after you finish a race to see if you beat a PB has become a bit of a joke,tried checking one tonight and all I got was 446,587th [didn't beat your 446,580th place though Osama ]

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Kurlija

What I've experienced is that I often seem to get the same pick-ups at the same places in a race.

It's not annoying, just a bit weird to get a shield on every lap at the same place.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

From my mini experience i can say the multiple turbo appearance when you are in front really started with Pure, same with Pulse , also in HD and now in fury. but like BW said it's not all the time happening but still enough happening to make it noticeable. What shall we think about that : is it unfair or fair ? It's a detail among others that needs to be taken in consideration but not in a drama way, it's part of the game and for me it's ok, not a big deal.
    about favored weapons for highly ranked pilot that's just plain bull s h i t

Quote Originally Posted by Kaori
    if ...and if ...and if ...
    that reminds a recent post from me about some hypothetical family evolution

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I don't intend to start any arguing but I personally don't think your position means anything in a race in terms of pick-ups. This isn't Mario Kart with the elastic band item system, WipEout is random. I have races with no boosts and races with 5 boosts, plus everything in between.

The reason I'm losing is because I'm not doing well, pick-ups do influence whether you win or not naturally. Your pick-up effectiveness is only as good as you are really, unless you get 10 boosts in a race.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Halecon

I always seem to get things I don't want when I'm first like missiles, rockets and cannons. Although it has happened once or twice were I get turbos at the same spot 4 laps in a row right before the track splits in Ubermall.

It must be a matter of someone being luckier than someonce else. At least were the pickups are concerned.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    abukii

Hmmm...To be honest, I have experienced what the Pm'ers have stated, but I dont think its a big deal. I believe it just "seems" like the lead place is getting a bit more boost. The only other thing I can think of, is that later or recent patches conflict or "glitch" the weapon randomiser.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Luck.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

I just dont understand the fuss.
    Im joining more & more rooms where i get a pm saying "boosts only please". no weapons, boosts only, and your all icaras? wheres the fun in that?

i promptly leave.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

If Hellfire does get lots of boosts, it's just because of the way he races. Based on his videos from out match the other day, he absorbs virtually everything instantly if he doesn't see a good chance to use it. He didn't seem to hang onto weapons much. So if you absorb absorb absorb, then you're more likely to get boosts. This is easier to do if you're in front because you're unlikely to have to save rockets to shoot out mines or bombs etc, or at least not as much. It's just a way of racing. If you get out in front well, you can afford to absorb until you get boosts. That's all IMO. Also, Hellfire posts videos of his races, so if he does get the occasional race with lots of boosts, we can all see it, whereas we can't with others.

I do think it's a lot based on luck and a lot on lag - more so than it should be. I don't think there is any difference between players or ranks and the weapons the game gives.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    boo4ever

I would love to experience the jackpot of boosts. Whenever I get out in front, a giant bullseye usually appears on the back of the harimau. And more often than not, I can't buy a shield.

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

Talking

"Somebody's beating me, so there must be something unfair going on!!?!?!"

Same old story...

ps, I think Saturn nailed it^^ - I agree totally. Same applies to Pulse and Pure.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

The extrapolations made by brummpahh are somehow pushed too much to the extreme. I don't think there is some kind of favoritism towards hi-ranked players and top pilots. All is a matter of racing lines and pick-up management regarding their usefulness and strategic usage.

BUT, as JaLK stated earlier, i do also confess and confirm that yes, when you're first, you bizarrely pick up more shot weapons than anything else. I've accumulated thousands of hours of play, and what was a simple coincidence to me now appears to be founded impressions, having experienced this many times myslef. Sure, pick-ups appearance and based on randomized respawns. In theory. Now it seems to me that there's something "calculated" depending on your position, like to give a chance to your pursuers so they can still have a good run... So, either im having bad luck all the time, which can't always be, or i'm passing on weapon pads at a precise frequency so i grab shot weapons all the time, which is ridiculous, taking in account that the game's pick-ups are random.

That's just an observation i made playing WOHD online since that long. That's no excuse to justify a defeat. If i lose, it's because i played like a ****. In the end, maybe im completely wrong. But witnessing this issue many times now, its legitimate to question how the game's functioning, without falling in paranoia of course

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

I got the boost jackpot in AP Flash a couple days ago. I started to get a little freaked in a now don't screw up kind of way. When you have that many boosts, you end up using them in places you never expected, and that can really throw you off. The warping visual effect throws me off more than anything. I really don't like it.

I ended up somewhere in the top 50, which I thought was pretty decent, given so many people know AP's BRs ex Zico, but then Rezatron beat me the next day. I told him well done and it took a lot not to follow that with, "you lucky bastard."

Rezatron is offline Banned for aggressive behaviour toward members, moderators and admin. Rapier Pilot
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rezatron

You can turn off the hud effects in the game options.

Getting a great time on MP AP is just a matter of getting turbos before the first turn (BR chains) and before the bridge (BR onto or off of the bridge). I have the #1 or #2 MP Rapier time on AP which was done with 6 or 7 turbos (with FEISAR hehe, love seeing my FEISAR times in a sea of Icaras).

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

My comment was not an excuse for losing, it was just to say that "great" times
    now are much easier to achieve now than in the past, I had been playing WOHD
    for almost a year (before Fury) and maybe I had 2-3 races with 5 turbos when
    I was in front, usually I would receive mines/bombs/whatever, however right
    now I see more turbos.

This was a response to OBH raving about his vineta record

We know there is a probability to get a certain item, however the probability
    function is not flat, I'm sure you have more chances to get specific items under
    specific conditions, for example I'm 100% sure you have a lot more chance to
    get a shield after you hear "Quake", than any other item.

Recently I also saw reach-big7 (a fantastic player) doing world-record like times
    race after race, and trust me, those times are not possible without many turbos
    So yeah 1 race sure, but 2-3-4 etc races like this ... this wasn't possible in
    the past. (comment about Hellfire is about the luck factor, nothing to do with
    his gameplay)

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Quote Originally Posted by Rezatron View Post
    You can turn off the hud effects in the game options.
    That's only for the HUD, though. The boosts and turbos will still warp the outer edges of the screen and make the center appear further away. That's what I don't care for. I'd like my sense of proportion to be uninterrupted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connavar View Post
    I'm 100% sure you have a lot more chance to
    get a shield after you hear "Quake", than any other item.
    Garbage. I feel like I have a very little chance, something approaching 1 out of 8.

I would attribute players getting faster and faster MP times to their getting better at MP. In any case I'm even more puzzled why my Venom Moa MP time is so unbelievable, since it was post-Fury.

@Brmmphahh.

Prove your theory. Create a new Psn I.D, race with it and video the difference in performance between your regular ID and new ID.

Saying what you are saying without proof is that all good pilots are not really any good apart from the benifits they get from the online handicap system you are talking about. Not really a friend making topic around here without some hard proof.