Thread: Zone music suggestions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Default Zone music suggestions

I'm aware there's already a thread for music suggestions, but Zone deserves its own space, I think we can agree. The right music on the right Zone track can be an otherworldly experience. It seems to demand longer music, like trance or classical, that starts off slow and gradually builds, but with very distinct transitions that may coincide with the sweeping Zone change effect.

The progression of colors also seems to suggest music that has a change in mood as well as tempo. For example, if you race Mallovol to Happy Valley by Vanessa Mae, the brighter more yellow theme at Phantom class will coincide with the more playful mood of the music later on. You almost get the sense that you're racing through a celestial wheat field. The beats also match the frequency of the speed pads very well. By the time you get to Zen and the theme switches to a very different shade of black, the drums will have eased off, leaving a solo chorus, and eventually the end of the song, which you can follow with something more appropriate to Zen.

The swirly background elements to the Pure Four, which I don't particularly like, nonetheless seem more appropriate with string instruments. The echoey concert hall style sound seems to travel through the large spacious design of the Pure Four. Even better might be some music with nature sounds, so that it sounded like it was recorded outside, maybe while gazing up into space. You get a combination like that with some trance music and that seems to fit some other Wipeout tracks. Anulpha Pass Reverse and its seemingly contradictory interior spaces with an open sky seem to match BT's Firewater, which sounds like it was recorded at the intersection of heaven and earth. Firewater has some annoying singing elements at the end, which are too moody and dramatic for Zen, so be sure to snip it.

I even have some straight up recordings of rain and thunderstorms without music and I find that that goes really, really well with some Zone Battles. You never know how long a Zone Battle will last, but you have this instinctual idea, like with an approaching storm. The cracks of thunder in the visualizer are awesome and seem to ominously foreshadow the rain of barriers, or your electrifying win over the competition, according to taste. Here's a great one I just found. I had started by taking the first 50 seconds of African Rain by DJ Quicksilver and deleting the whole rest of the song. There's so much good stuff out there, it's just hard to sift through sometimes.

What do you recommend?

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    MetaKraken (formerly MechaKraken)

Pro Tozo, Mallavol, Corridon 12 and Syncopia:

Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 2:

Destination Blackout:
    Ghost In The Resonance:
    Atheist On The Highway
    Total Terror
    Decoration Of The Dement
    Blue Blazes

Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 3:

Black Pressure
    Shrewd Critic

Sonic Adventure 2:

The Supernatural for Final Chase
    Supporting Me for Biolizard

DEFINATELY reccomended for Zone with these music tracks.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

If i could ever get a hand on Rez soundtrack, that would be the perfect progressive techno tracks for Zone mode

anything with a slow start building up to a faster pace is obviously a good choice, i quite like fatboy slim - right here, right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dRQrDYCbp0

or goldfrapp - train:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACf5fkIPcbw

quite like to try the sound effects idea's suggested above though!!!

*edit. rez is awesome, good idea!

rez soundtrack found here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F7vE...rom=PL&index=3

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

I can't believe I didn't think of Rez. I think the reason I didn't is because hearing the 5.1 music in Rez HD is unreal and the only soundtrack available is stereo. I don't want to be distracted by the realization that I'm not getting the full surround version, which is why I don't have the original Wipeout HD music in my custom playlist either.

Definitely Fatboy Slim, especially Love Island, but some songs go together better with specific tracks, don't you think? Or at certain zone levels?

Any particular zone track and music combinations that stick out as memorable?

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

Helt Og Dyret - TDR FWD

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Jesus Christ.

See, that's what I'm talking about.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Koleax View Post
    Definitely Fatboy Slim, especially Love Island
    Interesting note - Love Island is a song in Rollcage

a few of my favorite zone songs for zone:
    Remember - BT
    Albino 2: The Red Eye Mix - CoLD SToRAGE (Free download, too
    Messij XTND - CoLD SToRAGE
    Messij 2005: New Science Mix - CoLD SToRAGE
    White Vale - CoLD SToRAGE
    Cowgirl - Underworld
    Drippy - Banco de Gaia
    Breath - André Meyer (gooooood luck finding this)
    P.E.T.R.O.L. - Orbital
    No Man's Land - David Holmes
    SineWaves - Maher Al-Samkari (from G.A.M.E. 3.0 for WOHD)
    Woop Dee Doop - SupraDarky (from G.A.M.E. 3.0 for WOHD both are free downloads)
    Rush 2 Title Screen - Barry Leitch
    Garage - Barry Leitch
    Bassy - Barry Leitch
    Mind's Eye - Imagitech Design Inc. (aka IDI)
    Peel - Quanosway (free download, forgot where)
    Pandemonium - Yaz (download link here somewhere

some of these are rips from games with non-commercial soundtracks, some simple google-fu should turn up most of them
    Last edited by AG-wolf; 22nd October 2009 at 02:17 PM.