Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has SL managed to bend time.

Default Has SL managed to bend time.

is it my imagination or has SL managed to make wipeout distort time..

example i have noticed mysef are...

started on Ap forward in first got good start on first straight after bend i go a bit to far to left on top of the wall but still flying top speed then suddenly everyone was 4 seconds ahead even though i never crashed or lost speed..??

or on ubermall i did turbo of hill into br but clipped top of window...i drop to floor then br activated ..to me it seamed like 0.5 seconds lost but in game i lost at least 5 seconds..

their are many other example of time in game not matching real time...

have i been playing wipeout too long and have gone insane or have others noticed wierd crap on a quantum level

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

This is most likely because of the peer to peer system used for online play. I don't know of anything that you can do to work around these problems.

Basically: lag.

As long as you're having fun, keep playing, not all games can be like what you describe (Or are they, it's been a while for me since my last online game...)

all my games are fine and lag is not really an issue for me..just slight...but these weird instances only happen when i kinda almost crash but dont if you no what i mean.no respawn..no delay yet i lose much more time than i do in real life....in normal crashes when i go off track or get killed its ok..

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Hmm I don't really know what you mean then...

Like you only lightly scrape a wall but it makes you lose time much more than it actually would offline?
    That seems pretty ****ed up to be honest, I've never seen that. Tried at a friend's place (Another internet connection)?

it happen on places where you probally should of crashed and goto respawn animation but play dosnt stop and you continue but you get the same time penalty even though nothing has changed on screen ..is that abit clearer..

its hard to explain i guess..

not really a major thing cos it only happens rarely..just wondered if anyone else had this or am i imagining it..

Rezatron is offline Banned for aggressive behaviour toward members, moderators and admin. Rapier Pilot
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rezatron

Thumbs down

I had an interesting experience with a laggy player yesterday. What happened is at the start of the race their craft lifted up higher than the other players and BLASTED OFF like a rocket. Anyone else notice this (not the first time i've seen this)? So this guy blasts off and seemingly has a 4 second lead at the start of the race. I know they aren't that good... Long story short he crosses the finish line about one second ahead of me but I won the race by around 2 seconds or so. :-

PSN ID
    JJohnEames

Something like this happened to me once, months ago. I was in race and i got into first place, was leading for the whole race, it said i was 12 seconds ahead, finished the race in what i thought was first, but the results said i was second, 4 seconds behind first even though no one over took me. i assume its lag and that it takes a couple of seconds to catch up sometimes...

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

At first I thought this thread was going to be about how you somehow managed to get a full night's rest in two hours, because you told me you were going to bed.

A couple weeks ago I finished a race in first place and clearly heard the announcer say the words "first place." A second or two later I saw that my top spot had been supplanted and I was now in second. I hit X twice to view the results again, clearly hearing the announcer say "second place, teehee!" Alright, I'm lying about the "teehee" part. But I would assume it was lag even though I didn't notice any jerkiness or slowdown during the race.
    Last edited by Koleax; 20th October 2009 at 03:07 AM.

lol..i know i said i was going to bed but i couldnt sleep..and now im gonna be realy tired tommorow...now i am going to bed ..so bye bye everyone see you soon ..

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by Rezatron View Post
    I had an interesting experience with a laggy player yesterday. What happened is at the start of the race their craft lifted up higher than the other players and BLASTED OFF like a rocket. Anyone else notice this (not the first time i've seen this)? So this guy blasts off and seemingly has a 4 second lead at the start of the race. I know they aren't that good... Long story short he crosses the finish line about one second ahead of me but I won the race by around 2 seconds or so. :-
    Exactly that happens when I race Spanish players 70% of the time - it's bad server synchronization more than lag in all likelihood. (especially when they shoot ahead like a rocket - but the time gets "fixed" post-race) Still sucks because you get to dodge all their mines and bombs, and get to enjoy dead pads as they zoom ahead. (also gives them a break from the pack which works in their favor)

The REALLY bad lag is when they teleport - vanish - and reappear. You see -3.5 seconds - then +15.2, -5.0 - bouncing all over. Then you get the triple mine sets, and double bombs just appearing out of nowhere - and the icing on the cake - people AHEAD of you - hitting you with rockets. Oh, and your munitions missing them.

Makes for a great time. It's the only thing that gets me to rage-quit.

So in short - I feel your pain.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I've been running last after being eliminated and still been nudged on track by a invisible craft behind me while trying to catch back up to the others.

Lag,I expect,it hasn't happen very often,maybe 6 times in all the games I have played online ,still unnerving when it does.

PSN ID
    Constrictor4U

Maybe it's just british humor. Like the Doctor's TARDIS.

Well, most funny (or ridiculous) lag was when the loading screen for TechDR stayed for years and when the race finaly started Andybob got away w/ Warp speed. Ok nothing I hadn't seen before. But at the first split he was more than on lap ahead. I even did not finish the race in time.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    jan709

I've seen a lot of strange lag too, for example
    me being the only one to start moving after go, but mines and bombs appear out of thin air in front of me.

The lead changing from +4 sec to -4sec every checkpoint.

The dis- and reappearing craft.

luckily these things are rare.

PSN ID
    shapealot

ive started a race 5 secs behind everybody else managed to finish second (2 secs behind) but showed up 1st place. when u get a lag start youre timer must still start at zero so even though they are miles ahead if you get round in a quicker time than them it will show up you won

PSN ID
    Dark_Phantom_89

I've experienced some utter crap from a particular player (who I won't name, not a member of this site though.)

Basically, it's similar to what JJohnEames said - I was in 2nd and saw that this guy was in 5th just before the end of the race. Next thing I know, he WINS the race by around 0.5 seconds.

Next race, the same thing happens. I was in 3rd just before crossing the finish line, with nobody behind me or in front. This guy was in 7th. Next thing, he finishes 2nd. There's no explaining that in my eyes. Surely lag cannot be this bad?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

I've seen plenty of strange things happen. Nearly every online session I see people making jumps and boosting somehow on a flat surface when I play vineta k reverse, and similar things on other tracks less often. Lots of people are pretty random for me - sometimes they'll be 5 seconds in front, then suddenly I will be in front even though I haven't overtaken anyone on my screen.

And this may be viewed as a positive, but whenever someone appears just in front of me at the finish line on my screen, I typically end up beating them.

That's being in Australia for you...

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Trial & error

True times eventuate

reading all this weird quantum time bending crap sounds to me it's all down to lag in one form or another..thought my stuff was weird till i read some of thse really weird story of events here..

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    brummpahh

Hi all,

my weirdest lag experience:
    raced sol2, all othes were around the 1st corner
    before i even got GO! on my screen.
    Approx. 0.8 sec i guess.

Ate all the crappy stuff, bombs, mines whatever.
    Came in 7th. No chance. Final screen poped up...
    i was 3rd. the game compensated lag AFTER the race.
    very annoying, even if 3rd's better than 7th.

Definitly another SL timebending proof.

i know what you mean brmmm..ive actually been in a race with you and seen it happen with my own eyes...so weird