Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Annoying things about WOHD that are not bugs

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Quote Originally Posted by Koleax View Post
    ... Perhaps it will look incredible in 3D. ...
    It won't because it's an 2D post-processing effect, it's not 3D in any way.
    Likewise, the 2D HUD will also not look right in 3D.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Quote Originally Posted by yeldar2097 View Post
    respawning after hitting 5 mines then having to wait 10 years to get going again.
    Really? Dont we only respawn when destroyed of going off-track?

I agree with you though, restart after being hit by weapons if ****ing too slow... even worst if you eat all 3 rockets in the ass. This is just dumb. Im not saying removing any after-shock from weapon impact, but waiting for an eternity to restart is just too much. Being slowed down ONE single second is more than enough.

Timezone
    GMT -5

It's pretty common to get destroyed and/or go off-track after being hit with weapons fire. Your craft stops responding for a moment - usually just long enough so that you fall off the track. When you respawn - you now have to wait before you can start accelerating. (due to the previous weapons fire)

I know exactly what Yeldar is speaking of - and it's brutal.

I miss the 1.XX weapons power - 1.3+ weapons started using steroids. Although the 1.3 leach beam actually worked (and only then)! Why that got dropped is beyond me.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Is that 1.XX weapon a Pure/Pulse thing? It made me think of Fusion and its ships with varying weapon strengths.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

The Tri Rocket can be exploited very well if done right at a start of the race You just Pin your craft one way and fire, instant 3 hit KO. I agree though it should be toned down.

@yeldar and ih8you....i agree can be to punishing..hit by weapon on sol2 drift slllllooowlly off the track..start a slow skydive ..eventually respawn and accelerate..loses 5 seconds easy maybe upto 7 seconds..

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

I got a great video of this happening on metropia reverse: just after the mag i got shot by something or other then hit 5 mines then got respawned by some rammage (as you do)
    upon respawn: .....erm....hello...?...has my X button broken or what...hello?...?...ah...there we go...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

It's even worse when you respawn right on top of a bunch of mines and/or a bomb dropped by others as they flew past. That's happened to me a good few times.

metropia..when you hit a little rivet nut in the wall.fly backwards then float off into the air..knock out a barrel roll to try and make something happen..eventually respawn on the track..

that for me is the most annoying respawn in the game cos it shouldnt even be a crash as a ship going 800kmh hitting a rivet on a wall would just go past...

mkae L2 a respawn button for online races so we can bypass broken crash respawn sequences..

press the button and that it.

Timezone
    GMT -5

What I hate the most about WOHD is the Fury Track Weapon / Speed Pad activation radius - it's so different from HD.

Honestly - that's the sole reason I don't fly the new tracks - it's just so annoying to me - the level of inconsistency between the pads - even on different Fury tracks.

@ih8you

i didnt know about that..obviously i have not played on th fury tracks too much to pick that up.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Oh well of course, if you fall off the track after drifting away from weapon impact, respawning sucks... I thought that Yeldar meant respawning after weapon impact without taking in account you fell down off the track...

Another hugely annoying thing that should be corrected is the almost empty shield energy we got after being destroyed... That's incredibly stupid. Its already so punishing to be destroyed, and consequently having to wait so long to finally starting to accelerate again, that the freaking shield energy should be replenished COMPLETELY, period.

it might be annoying to get killed and be respawned with a tiny bit of energy..but in my oppinion its much more annoying to blow someone off the track only for them to have a full bar of energy and chasing you with your half bar of energy and really giving them an advantage over you.

its hard and cruel but healing your ship can generally be done with a bit of spacing between other ships so you can get all the pads to fix your ship...

PSN ID
    XBARNSTERX

Yeah get destroyed an get full energy back as a reward.
    That makes sense

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Again Jasmin, i beg to differ.

Being destroyed is more than enough to compromise a course. Adding low energy respawn to that is ridiculously useless. There's no sense to that. Rarely someone got back to me after i destroyed them, because they lost too much time and positions having to watch the carcass crashing on the track, respawning and regaining top speed, even with Goteki 45. Unless its 2 vs 2, racing and being destroyed in a full grid imposes so much hazards for the victim to get back to the perpetrator that its unlikely it will happen. Im not saying it never happens, its just what we can generally see in this situation.

Now lets say you've been destroyed and respawn in a mine line, a bomb, lost rockets shot by someone, or getting caught in a Quake wave... BOOM, destroyed again. Wow, that's so much fun. You see what i mean?

Respawning with full energy bar is far from being a reward. And a low energy bar is nothing of a challenge, its an awful pain in the ass. I've seen top dogs quit after being destroyed multiple times because of the issue i'm speaking of, the same people that would say quiting is for losers and that the real winners never quits, even when all hope is lost Yes, i think its important to finish your race even when its a complete mess, but there's a limit at some point.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

The low energy respawn just makes it all that more important not to be destroyed in the first place. That means fewer BRs, more absorption, and saving shields. Add better sideshifting and evasions, including turbo-ing away from missiles. Shoot mines to get through them or even risk following another player so they'll take the hits. Remember to pay attention to the pickups the others have in the HUD and try to see what they're planning. There's so much depth and complexity to this game.

Aside from annoyance, the first impression I had upon noticing the slow recovery is that Wipeout is really living up to its namesake this time.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

I know how to play WipEout dude, don't worry. Im sure you do as well.

You can't always absorb pick-ups after a recovery. Lets say you're stuck between 2 players, which often happens, and the one in front picks up everything. You're not getting anything to replenish and you have a high probability of encountering drop weapons to blow you up again. In the momentum, the guy behind you will pick the respawning item and augment much more the chance to be blasted away, again. Resulting in a huge chance of you quiting the race

You cant always turbo away from missiles, those have a damn long range. You can always evade the threat by quickly negociating a chicane, but this wont be the case everytime. Again, you still gotta pay attention to what's happening behind, while monitoring your energy bar and navigating your craft on the pace-maker. Combine all of these issues at Phantom Class and im sure you won't have the same vision of the problematic

Finally, weapons hints are not always on, so that last statement cant be considered.

Sure, WipEout have a hardcore learning curve and is unforgiving. But still, everything is a question of dosage, and here i find the punishment unnecessary excessive. Like i said, being destroyed is punishing enough and appropriate. I could have another way of seeing things with all the experience i accumulated in WipEout games over the years and accept this issue, but frankly i think its too much.

If this feature would be corrected by implementing a full bar after being destroyed, im convinced it wouldn't break the complex gameplay structure and would be beneficial for the sake of pure fun. Take in consideration that it wouldn't mean automatic Comeback King badge ya know, you'd still have to climb up the hill again

i respect what your saying but when i blow up a better player he will always catch up..even more so when he has a full health bar..As it stands i have a chance as his limited to no BR's until he heals..

PSN ID
    XBARNSTERX

There should be a no respawn mode i think.
    This is the way campaign is , maybe online should be too?
    IMO i think it would be better

I still would say 30% is a fair amount to regain from an elimination.
    Enough for two barrels with careful driving, an its more than likely you'll have absorbed by then.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Yeah, I was mainly writing for a general audience there, sorry.

Maybe the slow recovery from weapons is a bit much, but I actually feel that the low energy respawn is very lenient and even a little unfair in the other direction. When I hear "contender eliminated" I'm used to thinking it means just that. They are gone from the race and their return is unthinkable because their ship just blew into a million pieces. [Edit: Just saw Jade's and Barnster's posts, who seem to agree.]

Hearing that phrase used to be quite satisfying back in 2097, especially after a well-timed plasma bolt, but now I just think about how that person will continue to affect the race behind me. Call me old school, but I want to send first place to DNF now and then, especially when it's someone who arrogantly thinks he deserves first because he's good in speed lap.

Maybe that didn't test well in beta, because when people lose, they still want to play, so they compromised with the low energy respawn. Too bad, really. I think online races have lost a sense of dramatic tragedy because of that.

Maybe they could allow a no-respawn option and a full health respawn? It would be interesting to see what people would prefer. It would complicate the leaderboard situation, but I don't know why they even keep track of multiplayer race times. They don't really mean anything. They don't keep track of Zone Battle and Eliminator scores. Keep single player race times, though, since the AI is the same.

The chance of me quitting a multiplayer race will always be zero. It doesn't even cross my mind.
    Last edited by Koleax; 19th October 2009 at 02:28 AM.