Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avoid getting stuck in the battle....

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

or use no bombs to ensure you don't end up with surly mafia gangstaz on your doorstep ready to give you a thorough going over

Back on track: For me it depends where I start (since harimau has 0 thrust)
    At the front - Go for weapons pads so nobody can shoot you.
    In the middle - Ignore the weapons pads at pretend your doing a speed lap.
    At the back- A combination of the above (since by the time you get to it, the first pad might have re-primed itself).

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Thats a good point, the ship makes a huge difference (at least to me) on how i approach the beginning of the race.

If im icaras its speed pads all the way, in contrast to the fury mirage ship which seems to absolutely fly off the line, so its head straight for a weapon.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

jasmin-jade wrote: I really dont think ship makes any real difference unless you are a elite player on phantom and you need a particular edge.such as an edge on speed/shields boost ECT.

ECT? Ships can give electric shock therapy now?

billychanxtr33m wrote:
    the best defence is a good offense. be sure you are attacking first. if you are missing with rockets, mines, ect...

You see! It's already spreading like hellfire. I should have stepped in earlier to prevent this from becoming another incident like the great apostrophe outbreak of the last couple of year's.

Not to mention The Great Comma Famine.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnReturn View Post
    You see! It's already spreading like hellfire
    You rang?

The above advice is good, but the biggest factor that keeps a player in the middle of the pack race after after race is their current skill level.

PSN ID
    YouAreFubar

Talking Lol @ SR, Lance & Hellfire!

There's some pretty useful tips on here. I don't think there's much else worth saying apart from what has been said already (but ill say it anyway):

I think learning BR's is key to getting in quicker laps, and in turn beating your opponents. This can give you a bigger edge on the slower classes than on Phantom.

Speed isn't everything when choosing your ship, even on the slower classes. Find a ship you are comfortable with. You'll find the people with the quickest times aren't necessarily flying the fastest ships. If you get bashed around a lot, are a magnet for other peoples weapons, or have difficulty avoiding walls, consider a ship with more thrust so recovery is quicker.

Maximizing your weapons potential is key, don't just fire off or absorb if it isn't useful the moment you pick it up. Bombs and mines are best in blind spots or over groups of speed pads or even weapons pads if you need to.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    abukii

I agree completely with YAF except with the absorbing bit. Dont be afraid to absorb a panel, there are always more, but at the same token, if you are at a descent Shield level, get a pickup and there are no panels for some x ammount of distance, then by all means hang on to it.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    billychanxtr33m

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnReturn View Post
    I should have stepped in earlier to prevent this from becoming another incident like the great apostrophe outbreak of the last couple of year's.
    apostrophe's can be contagiou's

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

I think I know what im talking about when it comes to Weapons

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    karsten_beoulve

thanks for you suggestions, yesterday i had my first 3 wins in a ROW! i was about to have a party it's rare enough for me to win...

In any case i've started using Quirex+ lately; i've found out that it behaves well, and that its more than average shields help me BR a little more and with less risk of being eliminated... also the only ships that can take me over (without weapons) in speed easily are icaras(es)... against the other contenders if i get some advantage on the lead i keep it until the race end. Also that little extra boost helps me quite nicely at the race start, expecially if i can get the "perfect start".

In any case thanks, i feel i'm improving lately and it's certainly because of this place and online videos

BTW, is there a webpage with details of each track? like pictures with shown where are the pads and similia?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Mietepiet

Just read this thread and got lot's of usefull info out of it.
    I was only missing 2 links I found in another thread:

Yeldar's BR'ing like crazy aproach
    And
    Saturn's doing it all aproach
    note: watch how he uses his missiles on the 1st Anulpha pass lap

There's lot's of more usefull video's in that thread.
    @the guys posting those video's

PSN ID
    mr_handley

Quote Originally Posted by Mietepiet View Post
    note: watch how he uses his missiles on the 1st Anulpha pass lap
    thats interesting and (IMO) one of the big differences between the elite racers out there and the average - when and how to use your weapons effectively.

if that was me i would of fired that missile as soon as it got the first lock, but now that iv watched the video it makes sense to use it on the overhang to try and get the opposing ship to fall of the track - genius!

although its a risk, bc thats no pick ups in just under a lap with BR thrown in , thats gotta hurt a little.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

From recent experience I've discovered that if you are racing someone one-on-one (i know this is about avoiding the mess but whatever ), if you have less thrust than them, start shooting as soon as possible

I tried my normal techniques against djkyoto and throughout the entire session I didn't fire a single weapon - he won 90% of the races...

Ok so that could just be because he's better than me but I'd like to think we're pretty even. In this situation weapons = win

gg kyoto, taught me a lesson, good n proper