Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FREE! WipEout Hd Fury Dynamic Theme today for European PSN

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    tileon

I love you guys at SL and I know it's free and an unexpected plus but....

I HATE IT

The tools might not be the same for XMB and the game, but it looks rubbish. I have one of those TVs which are not all flat and fancy.

The egdes are aliased to the point where the ship is practically ALL edges and fuzz! I hardly ever saw an early PStwo game with that much diagonal lines fail.

What are the mechanical arms throwing up at the ship? Beans?

It does no justice to the looks of the actual game.

What's with the *BLAARGH* spidey thing? creepy! It cannot be unseen!

The camera movement and the flickering make me want to puke. That's the first time anything wipeout made me really really feel sick.

What I like about it :

I've noticed the camera pans make it so the ship stays on the lower right corner so it doesn't ruin navigation. Free yay! Fan service, wonderful multilayer design that is absolutely amazing and transformations that look great (until it goes arachnoïdly wrong). A good show-off of the work done on the triakis.

sorry if that was harsh, but I really do think it's a dud.

EDIT: Checked youtube HD : though it's not like in the game itself, it still looks much better in youtube HD. I reckon a proper HDTV display would be even more convincing. On my V though it looks SO bad... I've checked settings and all.
    Last edited by tileon; 10th September 2009 at 09:14 PM.

PSN ID
    Whizzer-The-Hawk

The only thing that looks a bit off is when the bullet mark animations display. They do look like baked beans.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

the diagnol lines do look like **** on a CRT 4:3. But i like the attention to detail of the dynamic theme itself. Plus its Triakis too

awesome that they're working on these dynamic theme's, good job Studio Liverpool. But i'm not a fan of this particular one.

Test centre doesn't really do it for me, when wipeout is about going really fast, blowing s%&t up and winning! it did make me think that a high def version of the Wipeout Pure intro touched up a bit would make a great theme though!!!

of course it's nice that's it's free for the people that do like this.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

I wonder where abouts is the Triakis Test Center is in South Australia.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    abukii

I wonder why everyone hates this theme...??? Its AWESOME!! I can also tel the majority of the dislikes come from people that havent plaed WipEout since day 1...hell, even day 2... I think this Theme is absolutely amazing and Ive had several people on my FL tell me I should get it (which I already did) and a couple actually phone me... why all the hate??

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Well put in Optimus Prime instead of the Triakis and it's pretty much a theme about something else than WipEout HD... :s
    The animation loop is pretty short.
    The weapon effects have no alpha blending (transparency) so they have this huge black border, which looks a bit meh.
    IMO the icons don't fit in with the colour palette of the animated background.
    It's only Triakis.

What would be better (IMO)

Pulse/PurE intro style theme, with sponsors, animations, etc. popping up. w/e
    WipEout HD/Fury menu style theme, with the background animations of these menus (so Halo racetrack for HD variant, fiery exploded view of the ships for Fury)
    A theme with the Zone (PurE Four) style. If possible, it includes a music visualizer that shows off the colours of Zone, and even more by gradually changing colours over time.

I'd pay for any of my three suggestions, 3$. The free one is good for being free, but once more WipEout HD deserves better and doesn't get it. :/

PSN ID
    AVENGER2197

I just got it and my thoughts? Well, as awesome as it is(good job SL), I have a couple dislikes with it. One, why have the ship do things it can't in-game? Two, what's up with some of the Icons for the XMB itself(Saturn as the Network icon anyone?)

Not to down anyone at Sl, but it seems as though it was rushed just a little for a competent theme for Sony's console. And the EU region only thing was a bit weird, if a little unthinking of all the non-EU people who love HD. Don't get me wrong here, I like the theme, and will use it as much as I can, but Wipeout deserves a lot more imo.

If you DO implement any of DD777's ideas, I will be there to get them immediately. No matter the cost.
    Last edited by Avenger2197; 11th September 2009 at 06:10 AM. Reason: small correction

PSN ID
    stever

I think it's OK, very good for something that's free, and is at least usable (unlike Afrika and its white text on white clouds!) but isn't really up to what I was expecting. It just doesn't feel very wipeouty.

p.s. the LBP and Afrika themes took a week longer to make it to the euro store so maybe this one will hit the US store after a week

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Quote Originally Posted by tileon View Post
    ... The egdes are aliased to the point where the ship is practically ALL edges and fuzz! I hardly ever saw an early PStwo game with that much diagonal lines fail.
    True. And it's even the case on a 1080p display. Given the low amount of
    textures and stuff it should be (and it is) possible to do 1080p at 2xAA
    (Anti-Aliasing) or even 4xAA on Playstation 3 like some games already show,
    i.e. Virtua Tennis 3 and Calling all Cars, respectively. I think there is a
    proprietary 3D engine to be used for those dynamic themes develop by Sony.
    A possible reason for not supporting AA for dynamics themes might come from
    keeping video-memory consumption at its bare minimum for other proprietary
    graphical enhancements of the XMB developed by Sony.

Quote Originally Posted by tileon View Post
    ... It does no justice to the looks of the actual game. ...
    That's the point.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

Yeah the graphics in the theme are kind of sub par when compared to the game (I noticed in addition to poor alpha blending there are also no reflections or bump maps being used). Overall its a small complaint when considering the feature as a whole (having realtime 3d backgrounds).

I like the test center thing alot, but I think the environment could have been done with a little more imagination.

I REALLY like the way the ship transforms! I wish they behaved like this in a real wipeout game... The way the whole ship expands to airbrake is pretty amazing.

Perhaps future "testing-room" wipeout themes could include other teams doing what they do best?
    IE
    Show the GOTEKI team putting their thrusters through rigerous testing
    Show the FEISAR team developing airbreaking systems
    ICARUS testing aerodynamics
    etc....
    Also add some personality to it! There was no color, no workers or observers, cranes, vehicles, safety crews, etc on the sidelines.

Other ideas;
    a perpetual race would be sick
    abstract design wipeout themes

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    tileon

Quote Originally Posted by Wip3ou7 View Post
    I REALLY like the way the ship transforms! I wish they behaved like this in a real wipeout game...
    Amen to that, I like the way it clams up to shield itself from the beans! Would definitely want that ingame (no beans!). Although the colourful shells are actually more convenient if you want to know whether someone's under a shield.

The way the whole ship expands to airbrake is pretty amazing.
    REALLY?

PSN ID
    Whizzer-The-Hawk

Talking

ICARUS testing aerodynamics
    I'd rarther enjoy seeing how they put Icaras together because it's like a knotted ship with all the design, and the different connectors and layers on it if you know what I mean.

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

It's free, so you can't complain much. I kinda like it.
    It's cool how it sorta contracts and opens up.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    qirex

cool trnasformers effect but a bit disapointing.
    give us the fury menu background.

would like to see smth like that as vis for playing music too.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Cowboy is right.

Its is Free.

I love it tbh. Looks sweet when ive got some music cranked up in the background, XD.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Looks great considering the memory limitations

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Haywire_Guy

Well what can i say? Its about as good quality as the Wipeout HD themed Sackboys DLC for Little Big Planet. This type of stuff rly isnt SL's forte.

But all in all it isnt a bad theme, just couldve been so much better. (Likewise with the WOHD LBP themes).
    Last edited by Haywire_Guy; 12th September 2009 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Added link

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    BulletWraith

just when I thought wipEout craft couldn't look any more fragile
    the animation looks okay, I'd just rather have team logos flying everywhere doing their thing

love the Dr Zoidberg

zershen

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

There's more to the theme than the background. I like the icons. Maybe some of them are a bit random, but that fact that the network icon is of the planet Saturn actually suits me quite well, for some reason.

I switched to a different HD image as the background and I think it looks good. Although I still think the actual animation is pretty cool, I just don't really like so much movement in any background. Something slow and subtle is more for me, e.g. the classic standard background.