Thread: Weird. Lost almost everything.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

Default Weird. Lost almost everything.

Turned on Wipeout tonight. My son and I have a bet going. Finish all the campaign cells. Don't have to be gold just finish all Fury and HD cells. I had all the HD cells done and two of the Fury cells left. Anyway when I checked I didn't have any cells done. None. However I still had the trophies that were associated with the campaign. Weird. I also had all the ships that come from certain levels but I lost all the skins.

It's crazy. I don't see how I lost most of what was associated with the campaign but I still have the trophies and I still have the ships. Even the badge level shows the correct one but the individual badges are all reset.

Weird!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

You turned off your PS3 when it was autosaving > Corrupt save data.
    It's not weird at all.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

Well I certainly didn't do it. Nor can I understand why I have certain things dependent of the campaign still intact yet others are lost (ie all the ships yet none of the skins). Now I can't say that my kid didn't do it. But his account is pristine. Unless it's sabotage..........................

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

It might be because the Fury unlocks all the ships, though I am not certain as I haven't tried.
    Anyways, rank and trophies are synced with the server, that's why they are still there. Badges earned are not, so are the skins unlocked and the campaign progress. Wouldn't know about the ships though.
    But it's definitely some form of corruption, so be careful and back your save up (I have a 32MB Compact Flash memory card in the slot at all times used for backing up WipEout HD exclusively.)

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

Well it's no biggie I guess. I'm really not a trophy hunter or even a campaign guy. If it wasn't for my kid I would've never finished HD. Now it's just tedium going through them all. I've got about half of them done already and actually I'm doing much better the second time around (especially through the Zones). So maybe if he did screw up my account he'll be sorry. But your response makes sense. Just can't figure out how it got that way.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    tileon

what stinks with corrupt save files is it messes with the trophies. I can't have some of Echochrome's trophies because I got some trophies with an old save file then reset my save file to get the earlier ones. They just never pop up...

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I suggest you do Nothing until system upgrade 3.00 appears.
    This will be a Automatic upgrade [and a big one] slated for Sept 1-3 release.
    If you try to solve the problem now there will be no guarantee that it will not reappear in a few days time after the 3.00 update.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

Yeah I'm not worried too much about it since I really never worried about getting through all the stuff. It's kind of a bummer to have to get all the skins again (I want my diver Harimau). That and the fact that my 10 year old kid is way ahead of me now on our bet. But I finished about half of everything last night so it's not going to be much work getting the rest.

The only thing I can think that caused it was a few nights ago I was playing online Eliminator and I got completely upside down on the track and it didn't actually freeze but I couldn't get righted. It was pretty cool seeing my ship upside down on the track. It would even move but not down the track just bang the sides. I ended up force quitting the PS3 to get out of it. I'm going to assume that caused some issue although I got right back on and it seemed fine afterward.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    okam--

If you have to shut down an unresponsive PS3, do NOT just flick the switch in the back!

Press and hold the power button on the front for a few seconds and it will start the shut-down process. Basically it does what your computer does when you tell it to turn itself off; finished processes and cleans up some files, etc. You will see then see the yellow HD light flash for a bit, before it beeps and turns off.

There should be no risk to your savefiles or PS3 OS if you do it this way.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

Quote Originally Posted by okam View Post
    Basically it does what your computer does
    Mainly because it is a computer. Yeah that's the way I do it. I don't even want to reach back in my cabinet to find the switch.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    okam--

Of course it's a computer, I was just trying to explain why the software shutdown is better than the OFF switch, by explaining what it does. Surprisingly, I find a lot of people don't know that you can indeed use this method to safely force the PS3 to shut down.

Seems to be a lot of stories of corrupted save data 'round the forums though, so it might be a WOHD issue.
    Last edited by okam; 27th August 2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: typos

PSN ID
    infoxicated

I sold my cousin a PS2 a few years back and he used to just switch it off with the button at the back when he was in the middle of playing a game and had decided to leave it.

I'd used it for two years with no issues. It lasted two weeks in his care.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

okam I knew you knew that it was a computer. Just busting your chops.

And I knew that you knew that hE knew.

PSN ID
    finngers

Bump because I booted the game up today and I'd lost all the skins, loyalty points and my best times for everything... and medals for both the Fury and original campaign, which sucks dick tbh, I don't think I turned it off when saving too last night

oh well

PSN ID
    Sphereshift

Wow, I searched for some help. But it seems it doesn´t look good. Here too: corrupted data! All my medals, skins etc are gone.Everything. There is one file which seems to be corrupted though all other files are there. My times for spped laps etc. But only in the PS 3 menue.And here too: I didn´t turn it off while saving something. What now, everything lost? That would be...oh boy. I don´t want to think about it.

Edit: Well, there is no way to recover it. At least all my personal records are still there, my trophies and my online rank. Just have to get back all skins and start earning loyality points from scratch. And, worst of all: all statistics have been erased : (( That is the only thing that is lost forever. And still I don´t know how that could happen. I really don´t think I turned it off while the PS 3 was dealing with the HDD. Oh man, that´s why I love my NES. Good old reliable gamer´s hardware.
    Last edited by Autechom; 18th March 2010 at 11:15 PM.