Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Wipeout HD in 3D in 2010!!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Golgofier

Quote Originally Posted by DrMannevond View Post
    You're probably right. It's 1:30 in the morning, I have both windows open and it's cloudy outside. I still had to turn the PS3 off because of the heat
    That happened to me too for the first time just the other day.
    The fan suddenly went into overdrive, I've never heard that sound before from my PS3. Everything was back to normal after a restart though.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I didn't see any big change, apart from the 5.1 testing sound. Nothing more.
    Anyway i don't have a 3DTV, only HD so of course the game will not show me the 3D options.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Well I have finally seen WipEout HD in 3D, a small glimpse of it at least, at a Sony store. It was in video though so of course they "bullshoted" it and made the video 1080p... But it was still really impressive!
    There was the game on the console too, but they would not let you play. So I cannot judge on what it actually looks like in-game engine.
    I'll see if I can play in another store maybe. I would really like that.
    All I can say is Sony's 3D works really well, but a big TV is preferred I think as it will be this much more immersive.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    ElkBit

I got to try WipEout HD in 3D at E3 today and it was really crazy.

I'm not a 3D fan, but playing some games in 3D was pretty enjoyable. I got to play with WipEout HD and Gran Turismo 5 in the format and they were decent games, but for different reasons.

I had been waiting to try out Gran Turismo 5 for a while and I managed to do that in 3D, but it wasn't as great to me. Maybe the reason I liked WOHD in 3D and not GT5 was because the combat aspect of WipEout made it seem more legit to use for 3D (seeing the smoke trail after shooting rockets, the futuristic HUD style, the crosshair). In GT5 it was just simple racing with tickers on top and not wanting to hit the other vehicles.

If you guys have any questions I may be able to answer them.

[I do have pictures, but my card reader suddenly broke and I don't have a computer nearby that does. When I return home, I will be sure to link you with them, if you want.]

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Do you think the graphics/framerate hit is too big for someone used to playing it on a 1080p TV @ 60fps?

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    ElkBit

Being someone who is very picky about frame rate and the sorts, I really didn't care at all about how smooth the game played when I tried it out. Anyone who has played split-screen multiplayer on WOHD would notice a frame rate drop; playing WipEout HD in 3D in terms of how smooth it plays can be compared to split-screen racing. As for the graphics, they looked the same 1080p quality (but there was a lot of lighting at the booths, so the screen looked dim).
    Last edited by SaturnReturn; 17th June 2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Deleted unnecessary quotation.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    il_mago_di_Doz

Quote Originally Posted by Elk View Post
    playing WipEout HD in 3D in terms of how smooth it plays can be compared to split-screen racing.
    That's absolutely not good
    I can't play split screen because it's really weird to see wohd so "unsmooth"!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Whenever you guys get to try it in 3D remember to turn off the HUD effect.
    That sudden blurring/zooming of the sides of the screen if it's turned on really does your head/eyes in. , it's far better turned off when in 3D mode.

And have a paper bag close by if you try doing the boost/BR shortcut on Ubermall in cockpit view, it can be a real stomach churner

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

Well at first I wasn't really excited or cared for this to happen, but now that it has... I have to say, I AM excited!!!

PSN ID
    PHO-KU

so...i took a trip down to the local sony centre earlier today just to experience the sheer beauty that is WOHD in 3D and my gosh it's simply divine!

i've not seen 3D in the flesh before, not even bothered with any of the modern films in 3D as yet, but it's very impressive technology.

the depth of field and sense of immersion and speed is unparalleled, wipeout was made for 3D (or 3D was made for wipeout). watched a few trailers for other games / films but wipeout (for me) was definately the stand-out moment / use of the tech.

i'll be investing in 3D TV it won't be until price points get a little more mainstream but seriously recommend a viewing in person.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Interesting 3d performance article, including wipeout HD.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/pl...article?page=2

It's interesting that Crysis 2 is only losing 1.5% of performance when going 3D!!
    They create the 2nd image out of the first one.
    Last edited by Connavar; 3rd July 2010 at 03:08 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Although I haven't seen this in action, it makes me wonder if Wipeout HD might suffer less of a frame rate drop, and subsequently play better, if outputted normally from the PS3 in 2D and had 3D emulation done by the TV's inbuilt 3D processing.
    It might be worse?
    I know the Toshiba TV's have a cell processor in their TV's to do this, I don't know about the Sony TV's, you would kind of want to think they did since it's the same chip as in the PS3.

Hopefully somebody will try this as a comparison at some stage and report their findings.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Supposedly that's more or less how Crysis 2 works, they only render 1 frame,
    so it's not true stereoscopic, and then they interpolate the 2nd frame,
    using depth values + sometimes projections are needed (more calculations),
    but they don't cost so much overhead, so it's still a lot faster than rendering
    twice!

It's obviously an approximation, but if the illusion works and is fast, then I take
    it over a 100% stereoscopic solution, after all, all the best looking games are
    based on illusion (2d trees etc).

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Who here has the intention to buy a 3D TV set, or knows someone that already has a 3D TV set?

On another note, have noticed the 3D glasses for sale at JB, $130 each. Bugger that....Prob wait til 2015 at best to get a 3D TV.

Timezone
    GMT + 5.5
    PSN ID
    wiintermute

I'm pondering getting one of these Toshibas with a Cell CPU. I need to check picture quality but I don't think there is anything to worry about - Toshiba is known for quality products.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

I'm planning to buy a 3D tv by the end of summer (probably Samsung or Sony) to replace my old CRT tv set (i wouldn't have if i already had a hdtv)

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    dobyblue

I will only get a plasma 3DTV. When you go from the Sony and Samsung LCD demos and check out the Panny 3D it's a different experience. Even in the brightly lit store environments the 3D is just more visceral thanks to the infinitely faster response time.

Samsung plasma or Panasonic plasma for 3D for me, but I'll wait another year or two for them to perfect the technology. By 2012 it would appear that the Panasonic sets will have implemented all the Pioneer Kuro patents that they acquired and hopefully we'll see the infinite contrast concept and 0 MLL concepts finally be realized.

Anyone who owns a Pioneer Kuro knows what the score is. Pioneer's vision was always to have in a totally dark room an image that appears to float and the Kuros are stunning in a dark room, totally unparalleled. Kuro-performance on a 3D set? Yes, I'll fork out for a 65". Until then I'll keep flying on my 42" plazzy.
    Last edited by dobyblue; 13th July 2010 at 06:59 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

@dobyblue - Yes, I'll be waiting for a nice plasma 3DTV, as well. I won't be in the market for a while though, as I just picked up my Panny Viera TC-P50G10 plazzy a little over a year ago. I absolutely love it. Plasma is the way to go!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

I've seen a few demos of 3d movies on a LCD screen, and so far ... it sucks,
    it looks less 3-dimensional than in 2D!!
    Because I can easily see that there are several depth layers, like this character
    is clearly in front of another one, however they both look completely flat,
    like paper flat, while in the 2d version I see only 1 plane, so my brain imagines
    it being 3d.
    Also the flickering was pretty bad ... I hope it looks better on games, cause so
    far I'm really not convinced at all, right now: 2d looks more 3-dimensional,
    doesn't flicker, doesn't require glasses, and is cheaper!!

just ordered a 40 inch samsung for 859 from amazon and pair of glasses for 80, my parent are gonna kill me lol, cheers bank 4 credit card lol, get it tommorow by 1pm ill let ya know wat wipeouthd like, i tested it in the shop and kinda agree with you, but cloudy meatballs didnt look layered so i think for wipeout vid they just used 2d to 3d converstion, but heard the game is alot more 3d,