Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Wipeout HD in 3D in 2010!!

PSN ID
    drMannevond

It's official : http://ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1081647p1.html

Here's a snippet from the article :

Here is the list of games getting 3D updates so far, according to the Qore video:

Gran Turismo 5
    Killzone 2
    LittleBigPlanet
    WipEout Fury
    Super Stardust HD
    Invincible Tiger: The Legend of Han

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

****ing yes! All good ones ^_^

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

not bad but ... when will GT5 be released ? >_<

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Quote Originally Posted by IGN
    WipEout HD Fury
    Fixed. Stupid IGN, leaving out the 'HD'. That's almost as bad as rating Prince of Persia 9.4/10. It's just one thing after another with that site.

Has everyone noted the update in that article? I'm not sure I follow entirely but it seems to indicate that this is no official list, but that people have inferred this as a list from demo footage included in a video somewhere. Does that sound right?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I think your correct about where they are getting their info from.
    It seems that it's come from the same Sony 3D TV promo video, showing which games [ever so brief snippets] that will supposedly get the 3D treatment .

The video is viewable in one of the 2 links in this post I made earlier in the other 3D thread.

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...1&postcount=23

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Monty Mole over from NeoGAF got a chance to play WipEout HD in 3-D.
    Don't expect too much.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGAF:Monty Mole

Played Wipeout HD in 3D today, but...

So, at The Gadget Show Live today I was lucky enough to play Wipeout HD in 3D. I absolutely love the game, so I was pretty excited as you can imagine.

The good news

As expected with any game in 3D, it's in perfect 3D. If you've used Nvidia's solution, you'll know what to expect. Sony's 3DTV worked perfectly.

The bad news

No, not just the cliched having to wear glasses. But 30fps. Yes, thirty ****ing frames per second. This isn't the Wipeout HD I love. 3D or not.

Conclusion

One step forward, two steps back. I understand why 3D theoretically takes twice the graphics processing power, but in cases like this, I really wonder what the point is. I'd take 60fps 2D Wipeout HD over 30fps 3D Wipeout HD (with 30% colour reduction)... any day.

3D gaming? Not quite the future just yet IMO. On existing consoles it is simply going to mean 3D at the expense of graphics or framerate degradation: I'm not signing up for that.

EDIT: Apologies if this sounds a little bloggy. I'll stop ranting now o_O
    [Ref]

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

It makes no sense releasing the game at 30fps, I'm still convinced it will be 60fps
    when released. Maybe he played WOHD with a quick and dirty 3d patch,
    and maybe in 1080p even!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Personally, I think that the 3-D stuff is pretty cool, but showing WipEout HD in
    30fps harms the game quite a lot. But we can hope for a patch (can we?) that
    will enable 60fps in 3-D at a given resolution with some decrease in the amount
    of detail. That should be possible. The current presentation is just a quick 'n
    dirty solution to actually show the effect.

The base should always be 60fps, at least! They should () downgrade
    the amount of detail and effects until the game can run in 1080p at 120fps
    (2x60fps in 3-D). An in-game switch between a low and high detail version
    for 3-D could be an option. I mean, there are people out there that can't
    tell difference between 30fps and 60fps. xD

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

They have modified the software for the new TV's quite a bit since CES 2010 to include user modification of the actual 3D effect , as not all people see it the same.
    Since Samsung & Sony source their screens from the same factory I would suspect a similar end product.

See link for review of the new Samsung.
    http://www.avguide.com/review/samsun...8?src=Playback

i think 3d would make cornering much more easy.
    how much are these 3d tv's anyway.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

About 10-15% more than your premium range LCD screens, depends how many pairs of glasses are supplied with the TV, if any, some have them, others you buy separately.
    It also depends if the TV has the software that converts standard 2D into 3D on the fly, those are the sets that are the most expensive atm.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Haywire_Guy

Default Fury excluded (apparently)

With the free PS3 bundle of the 3DHDTV's, but comes with a heap of other games.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/04/...-up-confirmed/
    Last edited by Haywire_Guy; 15th April 2010 at 10:59 AM.

It was nice when I played it in 3D but it was a long time ago, probably 12months+

It would have been cool to have the opportunity to do something special / new for a 3D wipeout but it wasnt to be, having not seen it since last summer I've no idea how its progressed technically but I have faith it will be enjoyed by fans and more than a novelty, I just wish we could have done a proper wipeout 3d, for me that was the only thing left to really explore with wipeout, handheld had been done (and I think done well) and then we'd brought it back to the big screen, where if I'm honest, it truly belongs.

who knows what will come in the future, be interesting to see the up date later in the summer though

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

What I did not expect regarding 3D was the way the experience broke down whenever it involved fast moving objects in the foreground. If a ball comes hurtling past you on an arc, its motion will appear smoother the deeper it is in the field of vision, as its position on the image will remain relatively the same between frames. However, as it moves the closer, the differences between frames will be that much more dramatic, where the ball is in one part of the image on one frame and then suddenly in a different part on the very next.

In 2D this isn't much of a problem, but the spatial mind tends to care a lot about fast moving objects that are close to the face, it being critical for survival. I can't imagine the Wipeout 3D experience being very immersive in Eliminator or Detonator and to some extent single race. TT, SL, and Zone will probably be the most immersive.

I just don't understand why we have to wait all the way until the summer.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I got an email from Sony Aus last week asking if I wanted to make a booking for next week a hands on pre-launch demonstration of the new 3D stuff.
    The only place in Australia where they are setting this up is at the big Sydney city Sony centre , which luckily is within walking distance from my place.

I wasn't going to bother, then I realized that if I don't take the opportunity now,then the chances of getting a decent demo in July when the general public will have access to them is going to be pretty slim.

I'll do it early next week and let you know what they are like,plus some definite prices.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    jan709

Too bad i'll never enjoy 3D. I have an eye condition that also prevents me from using these red and blue colorfilter glasses.

Sad thing is i realised this after i bought a ticket to Avatar.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

I tough anagraphic 3-D (with different colors on each glass) didn't exist anymore ? where in the world are you living to see Avatar that way ??
    Stereoscopic 3-D (mostly the "passive" way in theater unlike the "active" one on TV) is the standard now and should not prevent people who are suffering from daltonism to enjoy 3-D (unless you're suffering from something else).
    Last edited by Sch@dows; 17th April 2010 at 11:36 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I was just talking to somebody at the Aus PS forum who I just found out happens to work at the Sony store where I'm booked in for a demo of the 3D TV's tomorrow.

He said that Wipeout HD 3D is the only playable demo they have atm, and that it is also playable on a standard ,none 3D TV.
    It just shows one of the two 3D screens [ either the left or right ] when set up that way.
    I'm not sure if Wipeout HD will be a separate download or a patch to the existing HD, they just arrived at work and a pre loaded PS3 was there for the demos, So ??? on that.
    He said it's incredibly good fun and really takes it to another level.....guess I'll see tomorrow.

From what I've been lead to believe, there is going to be a free playable demo of 1 HD track in 3D, made available from PStore to download.

I guess if you downloaded it and took your PS3 to a store to hook up to a 3D TV you could check how things are first hand.
    I somehow doubt that you would get a demo any other way, unless at a Sony centre.
    I think most 3D store displays will be of the 3D demo loop type, at least at first.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    jan709

Quote Originally Posted by Sch@dows View Post
    I tough anagraphic 3-D (with different colors on each glass) didn't exist anymore ? where in the world are you living to see Avatar that way ??
    Stereoscopic 3-D (mostly the "passive" way in theater unlike the "active" one on TV) is the standard now and should not prevent people who are suffering from daltonism to enjoy 3-D (unless you're suffering from something else).
    I didnt see avatar with the blue-red glasses, it was an example to show my eyes can't work together like that which is also required to see the modern 3D.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    I was just talking to somebody at the Aus PS forum who I just found out happens to work at the Sony store where I'm booked in for a demo of the 3D TV's tomorrow.
    I think most 3D store displays will be of the 3D demo loop type, at least at first.
    I might have a way getting a display model PS3 with the WOHD 3D Demo in it.

Going to make a few phone calls tomorrow, if you know what i mean BW
    Last edited by SaturnReturn; 18th April 2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Cut down the quote. Please shorten long quotes in future.