Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wipeout HD in 3D in 2010!!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Well, obviously if you just upscale SD input to HD it's not gonna look great. You ain't seen nothing yet, believe me!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Dude, 1080p is ridiculously better. I don't want to go back to an SDTV, it just sucks in comparison. Jittery text, 29.97 refresh rate hurts the eyes, etc. Playing in HD is so much better believe me.
    Watching movies and TV are too by extension.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Apart from 3D I guess this technique could be used to let two players race in 2D full screen against each other on the same TV without splitting the view.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

You will probably have to change a few components in your playback systems before 3D of any type becomes common place.

Main reason being they have just changed the HDMI specification to V 1.4 and it's quite a large change.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/index.aspx

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

BW what TVs are actually compatible with this new tech?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Very few, if any I imagine.
    Even the ones proclaiming to be 3D capable .
    I don't see how they could be 3D capable, as no decision has been made on which standard [the actual technology used] that will be chosen for 3D home playback,there were two ,now three competing 3D systems.
    The people involved are having a meeting in a month to TRY to come to an agreement.
    This was brought about by Toshiba [who got their heads kicked in with HDDVD and don't want to back the wrong horse again]

I think it is going to end up being a similar sort of farcical situation with 3D that we have with what actually defines HD ,[576p & 1080i for TV broadcasts can and are called HD].
    720p is the supposed minimum a HD set is supposed to reproduce now days [this is from the early days of Plasma screen,when HD was using component cables as the highest transfer rate,pre HDMI era]

True HD as reproduced in the home atm is either 1080i or 1080p.
    I expect that resolution to be doubled in the next 7-8 years.

Blueray is usually one of these two ,you need to check the rear of the case to see which one it is,if it'a 1080i that usually means it is a straight digital transfer,if it's 1080p it will most likely be a downconverted transfer of a new movie that was shot using "RED" or "4k" as it's known,which is 4 X Blueray resolution at 4096 X 2160 as used in the newest Digital Cinemas.

I think it will be a wishful thinking to expect any home 3D playback to be running at 1080p at the beginning,that's a hell of a lot of computational processing of video needed .

The only concrete decision that has been made so far regarding 3D is the type of cables used to transfer the video signal from source to screen,that is the HDMI V1.4 .

I'm not sure if that is actually a wise decision to be honest,for reasons that I won't go into.

You can see where SONY is heading with it's products from this report from CEDIA a few days ago announcing 4 new products.
    Wireless connectivity
    http://www.avguide.com/article/news-...a?src=Playback
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 19th September 2009 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Added content

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

If there are only a very select few tvs that allow the ability of 3D processing, how much of the market actually has these new television sets now? and by this time next year in Q3 of 2010?

That would only be like 5% of the market at best,

If there is a game that is being marketed for a very select few people who actually has these tv sets, your not going to get much success from it, from the limited amount of users that own this type of technology in there homes,

The only thing i can think of, that this 3D tech, will be available for people who have 1080p tv sets.

If not, then there is going to be a product for sale on the market for people who cannot use it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Here is a list of '3d Ready' monitors;
    http://www.3dmovielist.com/3dhdtvs.html

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Thanks PS,

Sweet FA of those tvs in Aus, bit of a bitch though, if they where available here, i could widen my purchase options on buying a tv

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Damn those nVidia glasses are expensive. ViewSonic Monitor is too. I guess we will need to wait a while as this is also another "format war" kind of deal...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

I was wondering ...

Ok, you need twice the images since you need to displayfor the left and right eyes séparately, but event if you go down to 30FPS per eye, don't we see 60 FPS in total ?

Do the brain really make differences between 60 FPS on both eyes and 2 x 30 FPS ? Because, i know that when you have a deficient eye, the brain often compensate for it with the second eye, so maybe ...

Does someone would have enough knowledge about that ?

Also I don't understand why poeple are somewhat complaining about that 3D possibility. It's not like it will be mandatory. You just have to keep playing the old way and can still enjoy it like always, isn't it ?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    SonicChaosX

It's like the optional 3-D in Rad acer on the NES. You didn't need 3-D glasses, but the option was there if you so desire.

i have zero interest in wearing 3d glasses when i sit down to chill out, relax and play games, but i know loads of people will eat this up, here's a link to a blog of some dude playing it and giving his opinions on the 3d-ness:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=...UserId=5991317

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by Sch@dows View Post
    Do the brain really make differences between 60 FPS on both eyes and 2 x 30 FPS ?
    I can immediately tell when something is at 60FPS or 30FPS.
    And if you het 30FPS for each eye, you will see 30FPS in total, just in 3D effect.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

I wonder if 3D video game tech will first be used at a large commercial scale on a handheld platform-- it would completely remove the display issue because the hardware would come with its own screen that could be optimized for 3D...

PSN ID
    MiguelX69

Nice... But i'm buying a Sony LCD 720p this cristmas... And I don't care much about 3D gaming...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    I can immediately tell when something is at 60FPS or 30FPS.
    And if you het 30FPS for each eye, you will see 30FPS in total, just in 3D effect.
    Of course, so do I (playing 2 player mode is painfull when you are used to single player mode and it's 60 FPS).

What I mean is, do the left and right images are displayed at the same time ? (cannot be sure just from photos since the exposition time could have taken at least 2 frames). I suppose not, because how the glasses would separate each frames if they're blend/mixed together ?
    If left and right images are displayed alternatively, than it would be 30 FPS per eyes, but 60 FPS in total, generated by the console and received by the brain (though it's still 30 FPS if you close one eye).

So, in that regard, do the brain could really tell the difference ?

I don't really know how the brain works for that (and for other things too ^_^'), having never tested it myself.

The brain doesn't always work. During those periods, it's a lot easier to analyse.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Here are two pictures showing that the 3D effect already runs with Fury.

(click)

And here is the second one.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    MetaKraken (formerly MechaKraken)

I wonder if it includes seizures (like the one episode from Pokémon).