Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wipeout HD in 3D in 2010!!

And it makes typing difficult, too. Good job, MEKAGORI.

PSN ID
    silverfoxy

It all sounds very lovely and technical. No real idea what most of you are on about I'm afraid and I do think on occasions ignorance is bliss

I'm just wondering how mental zone 100+ would be in 3D !!

PSN ID
    stin_wz

I will do it anyway!<---while typing in 3D

stevie

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Spece2goin

WTF, The HUD itself is not in 3D, but it has to be the thing that must come first! (like the missile lock-on)

i'm pretty pessimistic about rendering 60fps for each eye... and we can't see it in the video cause it's under...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Wow, that's good news! Now I'm really glad that the TV I bought back in spring is a 200Hz Bravia! Oughtta work on this one!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    abukii

Question

The one question I have is that its stated that the 3-D aspect will be a firmware upgrade. Is it optional to download the FW? Im sure there are plenty of folk (myself included) thatd dont have a 200mz tv yet.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Two things. A 200millihertz TV would be.... 1 frame every 5 seconds. And a 200Megahertz TV would be pointless - even for robots, ProblemSolver and Yeldar alike.

A TV that can do 3D must have a coupe of things aside from the 120Hz to render 60Hz towards each eye - Wipeout HD currently runs at 60Hz (as do most games and video sources today) A 60Hz TV could run 3D at 30Hz - which isn't as fluid - but it seemed to work for everyone in the days of the original Playstation. More importantly - 120Hz or 240Hz doesn't mean the TV does 3D - you need a 3D ready set, so don't just assume the faster refresh rates also mean you get 3D - you may not, so keep an eye open for that. Polarization, filters, input coupling all are just as critical as the refresh rate - so unless the set blatantly states it's 3D or 3D ready - it's likely not.

Also - I still want to see how the PS3 - a single PS3, that is, could render Wipeout HD/Fury at twice the speed - when you can see this system struggle just to maintain 60Hz right now.

All that stuff that advertises itself as ______-ready is only ready for you to add the extra hardware that will make it actually deliver ______ .

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

Well, I already wear one pair of glasses. They are kinda necessary for me to play WOHD in 2D... Contacts are unfortunately not an option for me.

I'll wait in the corner, shaking my fist at technology, until I can join the party.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by IH8YOU View Post
    Also - I still want to see how the PS3 - a single PS3, that is, could render Wipeout HD/Fury at twice the speed - when you can see this system struggle just to maintain 60Hz right now.
    Yes, I thought about that too. That 3D thing must be at 30FPS. Would be more fluid than split-screen as it is running right now (Which I theorize is around 20FPS, and not 30FPS like they said it would be), but not by much. I'd take 60FPS over fancy 3D anytime for serious gameplay, though I would try it out if I could in some instances.

Because, what other game is also in 3D? GT5? It's also at 60FPS 1080p. Motorstorm Pacific Rift? Not sure, I think it's 720p 60FPS...

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    SonicChaosX

Quote Originally Posted by mic-dk View Post
    Well, I already wear one pair of glasses. They are kinda necessary for me to play WOHD in 2D... Contacts are unfortunately not an option for me.
    Same here. That and I'll take higher frame rates over 3-D any day.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    abukii

Well they were saying in the video that youll need at least 200 hz. 100hz per eye. Another thing that was said is that there is no set date for 3-D gaming. That video is false
    Source: http://kotaku.com/5353830/sony-backs...aming-timeline

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    TaroBarkhan

For anyone interested, this is how the screens with 3D effect (without the use of glasses) work.

http://www.3d-forums.com/autostereos...splays-t1.html

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

The biggest problem is what format 3D will take.
    There is still a LOT of technical issues to be sorted before either of the 3D systems are ready for consumer use,it takes a lot more than a 200hz TV set and the set would have to work in a different manner than the 200hz model you have now.

Toshiba called a meeting between the two different camps to sort it before there is another format war similar to HDDVD & BlueRay,it's scheduled for mid October,see if anything comes of it.

If they use the same system as in the movie "UP" it should look fine,if that's possible at consumer level in the next few years though I'll be very surprised.

PSN ID
    rushinmonkey

meh

i dont see how a tech that requires everyone to wear glasses is going to catch on at all. similiarly the glass free approach is pointless as you need to be sitting at a very specific angle to get the proper effect. Does not translate to peoples living room's.

It's all very interesting from a geek perspective but totally not ready for general use imo.

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    Heian_Xavier

I'm dreading the coming of 3-D because, AFAIK, it requires that you have full sight in both eyes. I'm partially blind and can't see out of my left eye; I can't see those stupid stereograms at all.

Is 3-D really so wonderful that it's worth shutting out a segment of the population?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Well, not to sound harsh, but that's like saying let's do everything in black and white because there are some people who are colorblind.

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    Heian_Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    Well, not to sound harsh, but that's like saying let's do everything in black and white because there are some people who are colorblind.
    See, there's my question. As someone who can see color, I think color images are much better than black and white for video games (though you can still play them in B/W). I'm happy color TV was invented and wouldn't want to go back to B/W.

On the other hand, the difference between standard-definition images and wide-screen high-definition is almost negligible to me, and I wouldn't have minded very much if HD had never come about.

What is the difference like with 3-D? Once you see a game in 3-D, is there "no going back", or is it just a nice additional thing to have?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Wait, what?! You obviously have never seen any good quality 1080p footage! It's like night and day!

Personally, I like 3D, it does add to movies (and presumably videogames) to give it that extra level of immersion, but it's in no way something I would need in a game. At least not as much as HD graphics - I don't ever wanna go back to SD
    Last edited by Lance; 15th September 2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Redundant quotation removed.

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    Heian_Xavier

1080p, probably not yet. So far all I've done it watched DVDs and played PS2 games on my new TV (upscaled). I definitely like it more than SD, but not *that* much more. Certainly not as important as color vs. B/W. My opinion might change when I play something in real 1080p, of course.

Personally, I like 3D, it does add to movies (and presumably videogames) to give it that extra level of immersion, but it's in no way something I would need in a game. At least not as much as HD graphics - I don't ever wanna go back to SD
    Good to hear -- if the 3-D transition is less than the SD transition, iI must not be missing out on that much. Hopefully playing in 2-D will still be an option.
    Last edited by Lance; 15th September 2009 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Redundant quotation eliminated.