Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wipeout HD in 3D in 2010!!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Golgofier

Default Wipeout HD in 3D in 2010!!

And "any" other game too for that matter as the 3D capability of the PS3 will be provided as a software update. Check the link and video

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/04/p...-to-all-exist/

PSN ID
    chboing

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

Lol hes in 8th place racing at venom.

Noob.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    SonicChaosX

Yea, I noticed that as well. It's amazing, but I'm not gonna buy a $1000 TV just to play it though.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    okam--

I get headaches just thinking about it. Do not want.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Stats, Fury, 3D Wipeout experience.... we keep getting this, yet all I want is 1.26 era online gameplay.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    billychanxtr33m

i have to agree with okam, plus who is going to get a whole new tv just for a gimmick like that?

A software update and hardware glasses?

Timezone
    GMT -5

Lance - LCDs are polarized as that's how they operate (except instead of your eyes - they rotate polarization around sub pixels giving you the primary colors) - well, manufacturers FINALLY caught onto this aspect. If you put polarized sunglasses on (or happen to have some polarizing film laying around your basement like I do) - hold it up to an LCD screen - as you rotate it, you can completely black out the screen, rotate it 90 degrees, and suddenly it's completely clear. Using the properties of polarization and extinction - they put polarized lenses into 3d glasses - 90 degrees off plane from one another. So if your left eye needs to see an image - the LCD rotates the polarization for that frame while the right is black, the the next frame, it rotates it 90 degrees off so the right eye sees it. The staggered images give you a 3d experience. Much akin to the red and blue glasses - except instead of filtering by color (those always made me queasy) - they filter by polarization - so all the color is retained. Couple that with 120hz - and each eye gets to see 60hz video, and your brain says "holy $h!t 3_@*#&ing_D" Or you have a seizure. Both entertaining.

So you need a tv set that has a set polarization (most older LCDs seem to be random so no dice) - and it must be able to do at least 120hz if you want to see 60hz 3d. And some polarized glasses - and that's by far the cheapest component here.

I know how it works; I was being ironic.

But I do appreciate the work you put into the explanation.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

I like.

Quote Originally Posted by IH8YOU View Post
    ... So you need a tv set that has a set polarization (most older LCDs seem to be random so no dice) - and it must be able to do at least 120hz if you want to see 60hz 3d. ...
    Given that the game should run in 1080p at 60fps in 3D, we would need
    60 frames for the right and 60 frames for the left eye. I'm really questioned
    whether WipEout HD is capable of rendering 120 frames per second. I guess
    the whole thing comes along with a reduction in resolution or framerate, if
    the 3D effect should be for real, i.e. the whole scene is computed twice
    for each 3D frame (= two 2D frames), each with a different camera angle.

PSN ID
    chboing

yeah, well polarization is just a way right ? you also have the lcd glasses synchronized with the screen am i wrong ?
    anyway, i agree you need 120 fps to get 60 fps 3D, but i'm sure once you computed a scene for right eyes, then compute the same scene for left eye will be faster, some sort of algo or soft or hard will do this no ?

When the time comes that it can be done without wearing glasses or other hardware, then I might like 3D. <damned perfectionist.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I would think it would run at 30FPS for 3D, and split screen would be unavailable simply because this is already running below 30FPS all the time. So it would be 30FPS 3D (Division of the normal 60FPS into 30FPS for left eye, 30FPS for right eye). It wouldn't be as smooth, but it would still be better than split screen

I don't think I have the screen for that though, my screen is a simple computer monitor from a few years ago. Only 60Hz.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

@chboing: Yes, I think some stuff can be reused while computing the frame
    for the other eye.

@Lance: The time has already come, but those glasses-free displays are not much
    in use in the gaming sector, yet. There are 3D-displays out there that uses
    about 5 masks to synthezise a steroscopic picture such that while looking at it
    produces a three-dimensional effect without using glasses. It works by
    intercepting the rendering pipline (usually based on OpenGL) to force it to
    render additional pictures with a different camera positions each. A special
    driver will then pre-process these images and send them to the 3D-display.
    I was on a trade show where you could test and even buy those 3D-displays.
    There are only two downsides to them. First, you can't perceive the 3D effect
    while looking from the 'sides', and second, the resolution displayed is always
    less as the one internally rendered, because those masks do cover space on the
    display as well, they are all weaved together in some way.

I had always some doubts about whether this technique works out or not. But it
    does! And it looks very good! I even played a racing game on the trade show. Up
    to my point of view it is the best solution for 3D gaming, but an expensive one!
    There exist some 3D-displays that can display a resolution of 1080p, but
    rendering multiple frames at 1080p puts a heavy load on current graphics
    accelerator. One can get a low-resolution 3D display (about 800x600) for about
    1k EUR as of today.

Those displays are currently used in some parts of the industry and in academia.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

So what are the complete specification televisions that will allow the use of this technology?

What Hz would i need,
    Whats size screen?
    etc....

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

The mentioned technology is already incorperated into those 3D-displays. It's not like
    that you can download a software and buy a usual display to get the same effect.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Golgofier

3D in movies - nah, don't really see the point so not very interested (although I realize I may well have to take that back sooner or later, it's not like that argument hasn't been used before to describe tech we now take for granted)

3D gaming - yes I'm definitely interested! Just seems like it would be a natural extension and more close to reality. It's a 3 dimensional world, friends

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

Until it feels like you're REALLY in the craft with side tvs and such, I don't think I'll care too much either...

Would rather want old Wipeouts online... but I won't mention it...

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    K-MIZER

lol, Especially in WipEout HD when so much information is coming at you at one time BECAUSE YOU'RE GOING SO MIND NUMBINGLY FAST LIKE I AM RIGHT NOW! IT'S ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE FOR THE MIND TO COMPREHEND ANYTHING AT THIS SPEED!