Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Wipeout HD in 3D in 2010!!

PSN ID
    stever

I got to play Killzone 3 and GT5 in 3D (and got a go on Move) a couple of weeks back at Sony's first Beta Rooms event. Unfortunately WipEout HD wasn't there though.

I thought GT5 was a bit underwhelming to be honest and the depth didn't help me judge corners any better. I thought it made more of a difference on Killzone 3 where it definitely made it easier to judge the landing spots when you were leaping about with the jetpack. There's a lot more going on on screen too and the 3D did make it feel more immersive (I tried the same level in both 2D and 3D for comparison).

Neither convinced me that it's worth the expense of all the kit and having to wear a pair of goggles all the time though.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Quote Originally Posted by Connavar View Post
    Interesting 3d performance article, including wipeout HD.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/pl...article?page=2
    I just realized, that when you use the cross-eye method, you can really see the videos in 3D – sure, it's a bit tiring for the eyes, but you really get a pretty good impression of how it looks

I like it! Though, WOHD seems a bit more flat im comparison to the other videos.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    dobyblue

Is there a date for WO3D to be released? I imagine it won't be before the PS3 gets the 3D update of course.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

It should be available by now. If i remember correctly, it was at the same time the firmware with this function was released.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Wipeout HD & Super Stardust both got the 3D game update back in June, as long as you have a PS3 and a 3D capable TV you can play both without additional cost.

But you lose 30 frames doing it.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I played WipEout HD in 3D for the first time today playing on a Samsung 3D LE40C750R2, and my first impressions were a bit mixed. The 3D does work, but doesn't give as good an effect as other 3D things that I've seen such as Super Stardust. Whilst playing HD it was difficult to focus on anything, especially when on the higher speed classes. Image separation and tear was also an issue, which retracted from the experience.

When the 3D effect does work you can really get a sense of depth, such as the cube thing on the Amphiseum or when another ship is directly ahead, but most of the time it makes it difficult to concentrate. However these are only my first impressions, I'll mess around with the settings to see if I can change the amount of image separation etc., but sadly the thing that really stops the true experience is the lower framerate. Super Stardust HD is incredible in 3D at 60fps, it's a shame WipEout can't achieve this apart from using the 3D 'upscaler' which doesn't deliver the same quality of depth as dedicated 3D.

Ive been trying to play in 3d for 2 weeks now. Ive had mixed feelings myself and the tearing at the top of screen is annoying but im use to that now so doesnt put me off.
    My problem is that the handling feels diffrent and that it looks like they not quality assured it tbf. If you have to respawn it leaves you hanging for an eternity. Means game over online.
    Hitting some walls by accident which normally would slow your ship down to a still rather than 3d it often makes your craft just stick on the spot for respawn time.
    However ive noticed brs can be even easier for example vineta k venom double br out of tunnel is as easy as in rapier 2d.
    3d Phantom i dont think ill ever get use to but its usefull in slower classes. Detonator mode is awesome too and zone is scary ive only managed zone 4oish at best in 3d.
    Amorbis pain has some 3d games oh and google youtube 3d

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

If your have 3D depth perception issues with wipeout not looking it's best I suspect it might be because you might have too much ambient light in the room, unfortunately to get 3D to appear at it's best you need to have the room pretty dark, luckily not as much as you would if playing through a projector.

I'm not sure when work on HD 3D stopped before the SL redundancies earlier in the year, but as HD 3D was first shown at E3 2years ago it might be showing it's 1st generation 3D game heritage compared to some of the newer games that are starting to appear.
    Apparently there is a 3D game montage at the US Playstation store that you can download.
    One of my friends bought a new Sony HX9000 3D TV [outrageous price Sony Aus$4500 for a 42" ] and has also hooked up his PC to it.
    He said that Left 4 Dead, Portal & Alien swarm all look amazing if played this way.
    He posted this at another forum if you have to equipment and want to try it.
    QUOTE:
    All you need is a driver to add the 2nd perspective, I'm using the iz3D driver from www.iz3D.com.
    nvidea 3d drivers are supposed to work better but only work on GeForce graphics cards. (I have a radeon hd 5770)
    It works for heaps of games, no patch or native 3d needed, a list of tested gamesin the link below
    http://www.iz3d.com/compatible

hi blackwiggle yeah i forgot to mention ive tried iZD and ddd on my pc, the 3d effect in l4d ect is really good and u can control 3d effect better, have more variables to tweak to your eye focus. unfortunately i now realize i need a better pc as i just about get 30 on l4d,
    im waiting on this nvidia 3dtv play see if it runs better first.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I changed some of the TV's settings and some of the in-game settings on WipEout HD which made the effect work a bit better. I put the depth on 25% instead of the 100% which I had yesterday, which meant that there was no visible separation and there was a nice sense of depth on the buildings and the ships.

I also got the 3D E3 trailer which was OK, but I wasn't able to get much of an effect from the low frames. Motorstorm's 3D demo was a bit like WipEout to begin with and required toning the 3D effect down to around 25%, which gave a really good mud and dirt effect when it went into the screen.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

Ok, So i got my new 3D Plasma TV yesterday and obviously, the first thing I tried was WipEout.

For the record, the TV is a SAMSUNG PS50C7700 (50" plasma) and my glasses are SSG2200AR.

Ok, I start the game and a question appear "would you like to activate 3D effect" (my translation from french version). Already! OK ...

The Fury / SL cinematic starts but I don't know if the glasses aren't ready yet or if the ships coming toward us too fast, but it wasn't very smooth.
    Forget it, what about the game itself ... not yet !

Then comes the menus. The animation in background is in 3D (the menu itself is flat but seems closer that the background). 1st impression is good.

I'm going for the racebox without tuning the options, track selection is impressive with the track also rotating in 3D.
    I didn't pay much attention to the ship selection (too impatient to play) but ships are also in 3D.

Then the race is about to start, the camera is giving a shot of the grid and ... WOUAW !!!
    It's been 3 months (or so) I haven't started WipEout, but this is definitely different!

Then the race starts and you really feel the difference! Nothing comes off the screen, this more a depth perception. It feels both natural and strange. It took me 2 race to get the hang of it but, from then I'm sure It will be difficult to play that game without 3D.

I wonder if that's because I haven't played for 3 months, but the framerate didn't bother me so much.
    Also, I didn't experience the "flat layer effect" someone write about, except for the smoke of explosion.

Finally, I returned to the options, where you can tweak the 3D effect (initially set to 0%). I put it to 100% but despite the fact I didn't see anything really different (still not coming out of the screen nor did it seem to have any more depth) I wasn't at easy while playing.
    I put the settings back to 40% (cannot do this during a race though) and it was better.

I'm sleep depraved today, but it worth it.

I also tried the 2D->3D conversion offered by my TV, not on wipeout though (no reason), but on a anime movie (Evangelion 1.11 blue-ray). I'm impressed how well it works for a 2D source (you clearly see the depth difference beetween background and foreground) but you have clearly the feeling you're watching multiple layers of 2D images.
    Next try for that functionality will be Formula One Championship (2007) or maybe the Korean Formula1 Grand Prix this week end.

I've had to stop playing wipeout for 2 months and found the framerate difference coming back absolutely fine.
    I was constantly complaining about the controls feeling sketchy but I don't notice now. Just managed to get zone 34 on chengou which is all I ever managed in 2d.

Crossfade issues go after half hr warmup and I play in 70 to 100 3d strength depending on how tired I am.