Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Player inconsistency

PSN ID
    bik3rluke

Default Player inconsistency

Sometimes I log on WipEout HD and I feel that I'm a very good pilot, but other times I just can't stay off the wall and finish last pretty much every time. Am I alone or does anyone else suffer with this problem?

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

come last in every race today
    or maybe that's normal...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    IDReaper

I get that too. I find that although there is a high degree of practice and skill involved in wipeout that sometimes my set up for a turn is just wrong and sometimes it's just bad luck. Or Rubix pushing me over the Modesto wall

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

This thread isn't what I thought it was going to be. With such a poor title, people who want to sympathise with you might not be able to find it. I can totally see the point for the thread below.

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...205#post140205

Anyway, it happens to all of us. We have good days and bad. It probably helps to warm up with some Time Trial or something to really get into it and focus. But then if your first few online races, you get destroyed, then focus is gone very quickly. If you're finding you suck, go do something else for a while, then come back and start over. Alternatively, if you're doing single races and thinking you suck, you might just not be winning any. Try a tournament and you might feel better because consistently coming third could win it for you, whereas in single races, you would feel crap because you never won a race.

PSN ID
    bik3rluke

I was writing another thread and forgot to change that title -- my apologies. I would edit but it won't let me.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

It happens. For me it normally comes down to my degree of being tired. I'm normally only at my peak of wipeout performance for about an hour or 2 tops on any given day. Phantom and zone require supreme concentration and split second reflexes. Any delay in your mind from being tired or just faitgued from too much Wipeout, and it gets hard to move forward.

Or if you have IDReaper dropping mines and bombs all over the course that you can barely travel at all. At which point you should get back at him by pushing him off a cliff on Modesto

I`m always tired when I play. That`s one reason why I`m never really concentrating when I play. Even so I`m not really intermittent and unless I`m in amongst the really stellar pilots I usually finish second in races. At least in an average room that is. Sometimes I can finish second in at least 4 out of every 5 races but I never win! Other people come and go as winners or finish last while I keep on racking up "first loser" badges So unless I`m in a French room I guess I`m very often pretty consistent actually. There still can be disaster sessions, but you just have to take a deep breath and push on when that happens. It happens to us all and we can all be the unluckiest pilot ever.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    okam--

I'm usually decent at the first 4-5 events, then some sort of mental fatigue sets in and I am much less focused and I start missing turns or just making silly mistakes. Regardless of wether I am still enjoying myself or not, the "fun" aspect of it doesn't seem to matter. Knowing this, I only do shorter online sessions, to avoid ruining my mood ^^

PSN ID
    YouAreFubar

Default We all have our off days I think.....

Sometimes ill be on the ball all the way through the course, landing every barrel roll and taking every corner with ease. Other days ill be pinballing from wall to wall or just seem to be going slower than everyone else.

Warming up will help sometimes, but not always. Some days I have a few races, decide its not happening today, and then put on Dead Space (which im playing through yet again, a fantastic game) or Metal Gear Online instead. Your not alone on this one.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

I tend to not have a Major Problem with Consistency, Im 1st or 2nd almost no mater what room im in, Sometimes I just blank out ang get 3rd or 4th though. we all have Downslides too.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I'm like that too, almost no matter what room I'm in I come first. I come first in the kitchen. I come first in the lounge. But I always come second in the bedroom. Go figure!

P.S.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    IDReaper

Oh that reminds me of something else. When playing if I put my elbow up on the arm rests I do horribly, cutting corner to soon and in general oversteering. But when I keep my arms at my sides I do great. Also when I play against players I've heard are good but never raced myself, I start to shake during the race and it messes me up.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    handmade_lion

Default ...

Funny you say that ID,

I was racing on Chenghou Forward phantom with the new Piranha and when I put my leg down, it was tingling cause it had fallen asleep and next thing I knew I was banging all over the walls.

Timezone
    GMT -5

I've had a couple of instances on extended lap races where I'm so pre-programmed for X laps - I put down my controller at the *end* only to see people go flying past me.

Though it makes for a fine challenge to catch back up.

As for the different playing position - ask Vinnymonster for input on this subject.

Timezone
    GMT + 10

I was quite embarrassed (and relieved) to know the reason why I was underperforming so horribly after the 2.0 patch.

For some reason I had the accelerator sensitivity set to 100%. Don't know whose brilliant idea that was (probably mine when I was underslept ).

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

^been there done that lol.

and for this topic i would guess that since we are all humans here, (except problemsolver of course) its only natural to have ups and downs. and i am definitely no exeption, although my phail periods seem to be longer than my win periods

PSN ID
    RobCoxy

Yes, I definitely have good days and bad days! I don't know whether it's just bad luck sometimes or it is something else but when i'm having a bad day it's very hard to get back into focus and win!

I would also recommend if you're doing sh*t online to just stop for a while and then do some zone or time trial or something.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    NightArh

It is a normal thing. You should play only that time when you are in the good spirits!

PSN ID
    AVENGER2197

I have them(bad days) more often than not. But there isn't any experience like racing like-minded people, who all want first place, and it becomes about skill not luck.

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

Agreed. I found out a few days ago that I will most likely be made redundant in the coming months and my game has gone waaay downhill. I've switched to eliminator for now