Thread: SL leaderboard post boost-select-boost

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by pirahpac View Post
    ~~~~.if i can u can ..no?
    No.

PSN ID
    pirhapac

discouraged me ? im just discouraged by peoples who spend 10 h by day in all class all the summer ..

PSN ID
    XBARNSTERX

I'm not saying it did discourage you or anyone, just if anyone is theres no need to be.

PSN ID
    pirhapac

dont worry lol.;all here know i suck in english ( and my traductor dont use any boost .;he suck too )

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

OBH: You shouldn't have used it because it's clear from a design standpoint that the boost reset was never meant to be a way to achieve faster times. The very fact that they tried (and failed, admittedly) to remove it from the game is proof enough that you should have never even thought about using it in this way.
    However what is done is done, and now for a very big part of the game it is impossible for almost anyone but the aliens/robots (bar useless qualifications) to achieve times faster than their previous records. Thus, my suggestions to wipe the boards for Speed Lap as well as Zone (Anulpha Pass) and Single Race (Every single one because each has glitched times due to Spectator Mode.)
    The fact that I am barrel rolling off jumps has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. If you are even trying to discredit my point by saying I barrel roll or use shortcuts, you will fail. Simply because shortcuts are an acknowledged technique by SL (See "Amphi-scenic Route") and barrel rolls are an inherent part of the gameplay of WipEout HD. The boost reset stands apart, because as I've explained multiple times before, it was not designed to be used in such a way (And see that SL agrees because they have modified it).
    People will always try to be faster, yes. They should also try to use common sense once in a while. The simple fact that SL has modified the feature in order to render it harder to use should be a clear and obvious message saying: "you should stop using the boost reset to gain faster times." But people have not stop, so now where are we at: a select few are able to remain competitive due to their fast alien hands with 56 fingers each, while the rest are not doing anything.

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

+1 with Osama here. I never knew about the BSB untill just before it got removed. Now i'll know i'll never get close to some of the Speed lap times posted no matter how hard I try. Kinda unfair that it got exploited somewhat as cool at it is.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

This seems like uncharted waters.

There are lots of cases where there are exploitable factors in racing games. Off the top of my head...

1. Prolonged rocket boost (PRB) in Mario Kart DS... if you get a perfect start at the race line and hit nonstop mini-turbos, you can ride across all terrain (grass, sand, etc.) with no slow down.

2. Zig-zag mini-turbos in Mario Kart Super Circuit... if you push back and forth fast enough on the d-pad, you can charge mini-turbos by sliding in both directions rather than a single direction, as originally intended.

3. Snaking and space-flight in F-zero GX.

In most of these cases, competitive time trial fan sites made "split tables" for folks that did or did not want to use the exploit. This allowed folks to participate in the way they choose-- many folks play both ways.

The difference is that now, with digital distribution, developers can repeatedly patch their games to fix potential exploits or even alter ship stats or course features. So as is the case with the B-S-B, time trials records that were set in the past may not be comparable to those set now

Personally, I think it SUCKS to have key features of a racing game changed after its initial release. I totally understand why it makes sense from a developer/publisher/marketer perspective. But it really eliminates the "level playing field" that home consoles previously provided to gamers.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

If it was considered a glitch isnt that even more of a reason to remove the times??
    It is really harsh on those who really pushed to master the technique, and I cant stress enough how impressed I am by the skills required to do them, but you just cant have record times topping a leaderboard that use a feature that no longer exists. Its like removing boosts as an item altogether yet keeping multiplayer times the same. It just doesnt work.

@lunar
    The Moa Therma Shortcut for you mate

@ Darkdrium777
    Theres no need to take an agressive "moral highground" on the issue mate. Dont take it so personally, Im just saying theres not much difference between boosting over half a track mid-race, and using select to earn a free barrel roll. Theres no need to to be so quick to damn those who strive to be quicker.

As for the "Amphi-scenic Route", yes it does prove SL had shortcuts in mind, but thats the only built-in-shortcut im aware of (though correct me if im wrong), and im sure your well aware of the many more that exist. That is just one example.

@pirahpac
    We might not have always seen eye-to-eye, but I cant help but admire the dedication mate

edit:
    Didnt realise syncopia or pro tozo dont update at all. Thats shocking.

PSN ID
    pirhapac

i havent probleme with a clean leaderboards sl without bsb..cuz im sure the ranking sl will be exactly same order

Thanks for the link, OBH. It`s a very Wipeout 2097 flying through the scenery shortcut, that one. I would imagine that SL dislike that one because you actually go through what is supposedly solid matter, and that is unrealistic and doesn`t pass QA these days.

I agree that discussion of resets is fairly academic if the leaderboards don`t really update in the first place. Ever since Pure with its elimination bug in multiplayer race times there seem to have been nasty bugs in the game records and the way they are recorded locally and online.