Thread: Fury, is it 'worth' completing the campaign?

PSN ID
    bik3rluke

Default Fury, is it 'worth' completing the campaign?

I don't like Zone Battle or Detonator, in fact, I hate them... and it ruins the Fury campaign for me.

Is it worth struggling through these to unlock the new ship skins? I have unlocked a skin on AG Systems and I noticed it adds more speed (etc), does the higher skins add even more? Is it worth unlocking them for that alone?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

I really was amped when HD came out to do the Campaign but once I got all the ships I sort of lost interest. Then when Fury came out it sort of renewed my interest. I ended up going back to HD and finishing the Campaign along with doing Fury (still have to do the last two Detonator modules ironically though).

I wasn't too into Detonator or ZB either but after doing them through Campaign I found a certain respect for them. Along with Eliminator too (which is okay but I just wanted to race).

I'm not big into Trophies and such but doing the Campaign can help you dial in your racing and maybe open your eyes to other modes that you wouldn't normally try. I'm not sure whether I would worry too much about it just to get the skins.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

The campaigns were fun back in the day, but I have yet to compete any campaign mode since pure came out... I haven't even unlocked Phantom class in pure, Puls is at grid 6 or 7? And on HD, I don't think I even got through all of the main campaign, let alone Fury's...

It depends on what you like.. I play wipeout for vs and time attack.. once I unlock all ships and teams, the rest of the stuff isn't much worth playing around with... it's just Racebox after that... Online leaderboards give me goals to strive for in single lap and 5 lap TT, and online mode gives me competition with the regular weapons.

i enjyoed it, but there was definitely too much of the new stuff and not enough solid racing on the new tracks.

i didn't mind the odd detonator and as much as i like eliminator...there was a lot of it. As for Zone Battle, i don't like it...and tried to get them out of the way as quick as possible...so i could get back to a proper race.

so, i guess it's worth it if you really like the new modes, or you're a completist.

The new events of zone battle and detonator are easy to complete.
    It will take your a few hours to unlock all the new ships and another few hours to unlock the Silver skins, so it is worth completing imo.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    abukii

Cool

Do it for the trophy...albeit a Bronze, but none the less...WipEout has major replay value. Take your time when completing the game modes.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I haven't found it to be worthwhile. The new modes aren't really something that floats my boat or any other kind of floating craft. I started going through the campaign on elite, but that got boring quickly. Then I started doing novice just to get through it quicker and to get the extra skins. But I can't even use them online, because when I select a zone battle skin, the game just gives me the old HD ship. So for me, there's really no point at all.

But obviously, if people find the new modes fun, then there's every point and there should be plenty of value in it for them.

you must have bug in game..my ships work fine..

i skimmed through campaign quickly..couldnt see the point of wasting time getting elite golds on speed classes and modes i will never play online..i just finished it as quick as possible and then just forgot about it and went to racebox for some real games.

I've only completed 1 cell on Fury & I'm not even half way through all the cells on WOHD. :- For me, WOHD + Fury bury gamers in options from the start & you can see it'll take a v.long time to finish. I think it can only put arcade gamers off - it's more like a race-RPG!

I want to see the return of the campaigns equivalent to WipEout (Venom & Rapier) or WipEout 2097 (Challenge I & Challenge II). Acquiring a reward for getting half-way and a reward for completing those would really motivate me to keep playing! I don't get why people should be forced to play 'additional game modes' as part of a main campaign. That's just half the problem with WOHD for me, barrel rolls being the other half (if you're interested - there's another thread for that).

Maybe the appeal with WipEout was that you had to be good at the game to reach / beat Firestar on Rapier. The Firestar track has always been a talking point for fans simply because only good pilots ever saw it. The same thing applies to 2097 & acquiring the Piranha. By contrast, the most talked about point I've heard of in WOHD is "Beat Zico".

I'd like to hear from gamers who completed everything in WOHD / Fury. Why did you complete it & what made you keep playing? WOHD hands over HUD's & liveries quickly. There should be more rewards. It'd be great if after completing every cell in Vertigo gamers unlocked specific additional weapons for each craft in the game.
    Last edited by LordVonPS3; 21st August 2009 at 09:29 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Quote Originally Posted by jasmin-jade View Post
    you must have bug in game..my ships work fine..
    I already reported it as a bug ages ago. Other people have the same problem as me. So far a zone battle skin has only worked one time for me after multiple selections.

Campaign didn't used to have different difficulty settings for everything. Speed Lap and maybe Time Trial modes were made easier later on with the addition of extra novice and skilled settings to match those in the single races and tournaments. At least I think that's how it went, from memory.

I felt the HD campaign was excellent as an introduction for me. Not really having played WipEout before, I found the learning curve was just right. I got a few trophies and gradually got closer to the more challenging ones along the way. The next level of challenge was the platinum trophy. That was satisfying to get in a way, but Beat Zico was quite boring. Then trying to climb the leaderboards was the next challenge.

I think there's plenty there in the game. I think if I hadn't already done the HD campaign and become so familiar with the game, then I would have been all over the Fury campaign too, because it would all have been part of the same experience. As it is, now I'm at the stage where Time Trial and online races are more my focus, so campaign just doesn't offer much apart from pointless novelty.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

It's worth completing FURY Campaign if you want to get good at the new tracks and have been stuck as Rapier being the fastest speed level.

The ironic thing about playing HD & now FURY solidly for a year is that I went back to "Trying " to play 2097 & WO3 the other day.
    Result - hopeless,absolutely hopeless.
    I seems I have forgotten all the idiosyncrasies of craft handling of those games ,quite a shock really considering the [must be in the thousands of hours] that I have spent playing them.

PSN ID
    Lightlord

I agree with blackwiggle that it is worth completing the campaign to understand the tracks better, besides even on elite its not difficult most people I know completed the fury campaign within 3-4 days with all golds. I do agree that some detonator events in the later parts of the campaign can get tough and frustrating though.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by bik3rluke View Post
    I don't like Zone Battle or Detonator, in fact, I hate them... and it ruins the Fury campaign for me.
    I have a general dislike for those modes, it probably spawns from my hatred of Zone mode since the day it reared its ugly face. So I find zone battle an even more irritating version of something I despised already.

I'm not fond of detonator either, which is why I tend to avoid those events if I can throughout the grids along with the Zone Battles. Once I had all the tracks I stopped caring about the campaign. I have not unlocked a single Detonator ship for use in other modes, I'm assuming that's the last ship unlockable.

Eliminator is a different story

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sh1kamaru-

my hatred of Zone mode since the day it reared its ugly face <- I lol'd xD

I think it's worth completing the campaign, it didn't make me love zone battle, online did this, but it's like discovering things, even if you start to like them later.
    I also liked the fact that Fury makde events with reverse tracks, like in pulse, it added some interest to them, I know some people who didn't start a single reverse track on HD

Yes, unlockable things (not only silver skins) once you finish the whole fury campaign would have been great, trophies are just useless (the fury ones are really piece of cake) but I tend to think that fury made the game more balanced, while HD was really hard (damn you IAs on Chenghou Project )

Once you get tired of SL (and it will happen one day), you'll still be able to play another mode like detonator

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    The ironic thing about playing HD & now FURY solidly for a year is that I went back to "Trying " to play 2097 & WO3 the other day.

Result - hopeless,absolutely hopeless.

I seems I have forgotten all the idiosyncrasies of craft handling of those games ,quite a shock really considering the [must be in the thousands of hours] that I have spent playing them.
    Ok, that's just ****ing terrifying

Hopefully flight skills come back soon.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Well, there is a bronze medal for finishing the campaign. If one is after 100% it's a must.