Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last second maneuvre (tapping L2 R2 twice)

Default Last second maneuvre (tapping L2 R2 twice)

Im a completely noob at this awsome game, trying to play with the pilot assist off. Wondering if you Wipeout Pro's uses the last second maneuvre much in like sharp steep corners? As i said.. completely noob

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MrOrbital

Yes, A LOT!

side shift rules.

you can use it before ..during or after the corner.Even if you can take corner without use side shift to reduce racing line distance.

Talk to problems solver on sterring and corners he can do 141 levels on the zone

141 L's on Zone?!? Wow.. definetly better than me there.. But anyway.. thanx for quick answering.. This IS a great forum..

thats ok..any problems just ask and another player is sure to help you

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Yep, sideshifting is pretty much a requirement for tackling sharp corners on Phantom class and also really helps refine your racing line. Have a look at some of my video tutorials in the FAQ thread, there's a few good examples in some of them

Thanx alot Hellfire.. i'll definetly have a look at your vids in faq.. thanx again.. you guys rocks

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Try using the L1/R1 buttons for airbrakes... the triggers tend to wear out over time, and with constant use in a game like Wipeout, their death comes that much quicker Plus I personally find it easier to pull off side-shifts; the buttons feel more responsive than the triggers and my fingers don't slip off.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Ditto the remarks about moving your airbrakes from L2 R2 to L1 R1. The top buttons are a lot snappier, and make side-shifting easier.

One thing that seems to be overlooked by many players - is how much speed you retain when side-shifting. If you take a corner and turn hard, you'll lose speed. The same thing happens when you hold your airbrake in too long. But if you can side-shift through the majority of the corner, and then gently turn through the rest - you retain your speed.

There is nothing more satisfying than being behind the same ship on a track, and via the technique mentioned above, zooming past them unassisted. I do this on Moa Therma all the time, and I still love it.

PSN ID
    pirhapac

i use l2r2 with hapiness . its just a question of habit .i love my l2r2 cuz for hard turn or not i can turn with good amount ( hmm maybe i use l2r2 just because i have long fingers so l1r1 are to near lol )

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfire View Post
    Have a look at some of my video tutorials in the FAQ thread, there's a few good examples in some of them
    Take this one time offer from the english racer hellfire!! for the low low price of just £84.67 you will recive NOT ONLY the tutorials but all sorts of singed Hellfire merchandise including his best selling 420 page book "turning left and all its uses".

BUT THATS NOT ALL!!!!

Hellfire will personally come to your door and beat you at WOHD over and over again untill his face turns red from the abuse he will be throwing at you as he plays!!!

(Food, Beer and clothes* need providing)

*optional

Edit: I still have my air brakes at L2R2 so i can have absorb and Kill as L1R1
    Last edited by Mr Phlanj; 21st August 2009 at 09:03 AM. Reason: need to add somthing to the thread

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Sven-RIT

My airbrakes are R2/L2 because I've been doing it that way for 13 years. And Fire/Absorb is circle/square.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    jan709

Quote Originally Posted by Yozim View Post
    Im a completely noob at this awsome game, trying to play with the pilot assist off. Wondering if you Wipeout Pro's uses the last second maneuvre much in like sharp steep corners? As i said.. completely noob
    The first turn i learned to use it effectively is the last of sol 2 forward, maybe you should practise it there too?

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

i use it pretty much as often as the game allows you to (given the small delay between shifts).

Might I add that ProblemSolver has actually cracked 150 zones

Edit: It can also be mighty useful for catching air with which to Barrel Roll
    Last edited by yeldar2097; 31st August 2009 at 11:13 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

I probably use it between aprrox 30 and 80 times in a single race.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

Same as connavar. I use it over 50 times a race. At least. EVERY corner.

Quote Originally Posted by yeldar2097 View Post
    Might I add that ProblemSolver has actually cracked 150 zones Roll
    Wow! i knew he was the Zone King but damn!

Also i try to always use it when going into a chicane (if theres no
    straight line gap) so i dont worry about going let then right, i line
    my ship up with the exit then side-shift as soon as i can, but it can
    all go BADLY worng even by one cannon hit or the tinyest scrape from
    someone.
    so only do it if theres a gap between you and the other guys
    like when im doing my average +4 sec infront of guys like yeldar

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

is that a challenge? cheeky monkey!

back on topic: I can only think of one corner where I don't use it... I'll try to think of summore but I don't think I'll be very successful

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Glad you wanna master the side-shift technique! That'll be one less guy using me to pass the hairpin on Chenghou and throwing me out of the track, busting my race

Take note that S-S can also be used to avoid drop weapon hazards at the last minute... Usually after a while, you can see them from afar, but during the proper momentum, it can save your butt in a split-second.

Wanna know a good training ground for side-shifting? Sebenco Climb. Have fun!

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

I use 6 sideshifts in the first 8 Seconds of Modesto Heights Alone.