Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Last second maneuvre (tapping L2 R2 twice)

PSN ID
    pirhapac

awesome ! ur fast !

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TehRedScar

MHf/r is about the only track that requires CONSTANT sideshifting thx to those stupid narrow chicanes and that extended hairpin. I still can't get a clean phantom race on that track although I guess I should start sideshifting more.

PSN ID
    XBARNSTERX

Side shifting is definitely a must on obvious corners like chenghou and modesto. When i first joined this forum i never really understood the use of them but now they are essential and a joy to do IMO. They'll really step up your driving capabilities, help maintain speed through practically ever turn, corner and chicane. Really handy for dodging them damn bombs and mines

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    fleinn

Same here. I've been trying to get the "arcade perfection" trophy since... April... um, so after forgetting which track I had passed last, I started on Sol2 reverse last week. And I wanted to get further in on that first corner.. and it sort of struck me that it would be an idea to side- shift, to get a better line on the chicane... so, yeah.. been playing through the entire campaign against the "cheating" elite AI, without using side- steps on the turns.. :/

But it feels best when you manage the long turns by adjusting with the air- brakes, imo.

..does it really go slower that way, compared to breaking full force for a short time?

I think it´s faster with sideshift.

Do someone know how the restriction between two sideshifts works?
    Is it just a certain time or only one sideshift per turn?

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

i think it's 0.5 or 1.0 secs between sideshift, i do more than 1 per turn quite a lot

i never used side shift in my 3 weeks..but last two weeks i use it whenever i can..like every corner..soon i il be using it 50 times a race or more

PSN ID
    Jimsin

This is a kingsize embarassing thing to admit - but even after 150+ hours, I still can't get the grasp of sideshift - When you tap L2 or R2 once, then you airbreak - when I sideshift I assume that the ship is meant to sort of jump to one side, but keep facing straight forward. This happens occasionally, but more often than not I airbreak and then airbreak again.

I'm assuming that I'm maybe not managing to tap quickly enough - but what I don't understand is if airbreak is one tap, and sideshift is two taps - then how are you supposed to get the second tap in before the airbreak takes effect?

Edit: Please ignore the above - I get it now. Guess that if I've managed to get this far without sideshift, then the world will be at my feet once I've figured out how to implement it:S
    Last edited by jimsin; 3rd September 2009 at 03:52 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    handmade_lion

Default ...

I cannot race, without sideshift. And when I play Pure I hit walls because I think I can do it in that game. Some things, just don't compute for the lot of us. Be it acceleration sensitivity/airbrake sensitivity, or racing in 1st person or third person. I cannot imagine racing in first person, and then I heard xtriko in his video not only race effectively in first person, but say he couldn't understand how people could play in my preferred camera mode. I love hearing the different ways people play.