Thread: Wipeout Pure/Pulse in relation to HD/Fury

PSN ID
    Jimsin

Default Wipeout Pure/Pulse in relation to HD/Fury

I know that there are seperate forums for Pure and Pulse - but I'm posting this here because I'm looking for opinions from a Wipeout HD player's perspective.

I've finally reached 100% on the trophies for HD/Fury - so apart from online ranking, the only remaining 'achievements' , are improving lap times and beating other player's records.

I don't own a PSP, so have no idea how well Wipeout Pure/Pulse play in relation to HD/Fury - so was wondering if people who have both would consider it worthwhile purchasing these, or would they just be an unecessary distraction, and the time would be better spent improving my HD/Fury skills?

PSN ID
    JamboGT

I think they are both great games, Pure is definitely worth it when you add in all the extra free content.

PSN ID
    Jimsin

thanks for reply - sounds promising.

Just thought of a better question - if you were at home and able to play Wipeout HD, would you ever choose to play Pulse or Pure instead?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sh1kamaru-

if you don't mind failing lots of barrel rolls when there are opponents, you might give a try to pulse too, it's a wonderful game I didn't imagine that the PSP could display so nice graphics. I've started to play the DLC campaign but I'm not that impressed so far.

You'll find that the IA is easily beatable on phantom speed (but awful on lower speeds because they get at least twice as much power ups than you)

The driving style is a bit different, I had a hard time breaking zone 60 on moa therma because the craft isn't as responsive as the WOHD craft on higher speeds (and sadly, there's nothing after zen)

all in all I enjoyed this game a lot, but as soon as I'm home I get back on WOHDF

I cannot say a lot about pure, as I didn't start to play this game

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

IMO Pure/Pulse really shine for time trialing...

* excellent racing mechanics (Pure plays more like older Wipeout titles, Pulse plays more like WOHD)

* tremendous track diversity (~60 tracks between the two games)

* pick-up-and-play friendly (supports sleep mode)

Both games can be bought on the cheap now (<$20 USD new) so they are a tremendous gaming bargain

If you are primarily focused on online multiplayer gameplay, nothing beat WOHD though. It's online system is more sophisticated than that offered by Pure/Pulse (Pure is only online via xlink kai or ad-hoc party BTW).

Also, because WOHD maintains a more constant framerate, barrel roll executation and collision detection in multiplayer games is much better than that on the PSP titles. (Note the PSP titles play perfectly for time trialing and are still very much play-able in multiplayer, just not as well as WOHD).

So yeah, I'd definitely recommend Pure and Pulse for fans of WOHD, if for no other reason that the really cool course selection. But don't expect multiplayer online to be as good as for WOHD

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    tileon

Well, I wouldn't pick up any of those two instead of HD, simply because I've squashed the juices out of both already...

Pure is the best wipeout yet, if you don't have a special edition of 3. That's 28 single, distinct tracks on the european version, plus the 4 zones. Its physics come the closest to what wipeout should be (a PSone wipeout). It's floaty, it's fun.... Best wipeout, really. Compared to HD now, the ships are smaller in Pure, you'll find that they are out of proportions which makes for longer distances on Pure. I think the shrinking of the Pure tracks in HD brings a more hectic gameplay. For modesto heights, at high speed on HD, the start line feels like it is in an hairpin, whereas in Pure you still have a straight line on which to risk a boost.

Pulse has a lot of tracks, good graphics, it's basically HD with different and more numerous tracks. HD has tweaked the controls a bit, but it's roughly the same game. Worth grabbing on both formats, PS2 and PSP (I like the PS2 version despite de slowdowns it doesn't bring much in terms of how far you go in zone modes - as one would have expected thanks to DualShock2)

Either way, if you call yourself a fan you really need to get both of them, they are great

Timezone
    GMT + 2

The great thing about Pure is that every different race you win unlocks an image/sketch whatever, so there's a whole game art gallery, which makes for a lot of game time. And then there's the downloadable stuff. Loads of stuff, and it isn't 737MB big lol It's probably the best handheld game out there.
    PS. If you have a PS2, apparently Pulse is out for it now.

PSN ID
    Jimsin

Many thanks for your comments - I'm now suitably intrigued. Don't think I'll be playing them instead of HD, but I have some long bus journeys coming up, so have splashed out on a PSP so I can try them out.

Only worry now is that I already play too much HD at home, and now that I'll be able to play on the move, there'll be no time left for anything else

PSN ID
    Xtriko, PS3, PSP & Vita

Even if you are more into HD, a little bit of Pure and Pulse won't be bad for you there are so many tracks man... and they are great! HD tracks are cool, but they missed some brutal tracks like, Outpost7 (my 2nd favorite track all time (1st is Spilskinanke from 2097)), Vertica, Platinum Rush, Fort Gale and Arc Prime. Mate... Go and try them you won't regret it.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    handmade_lion

Default ...

Couldn't get to sleep last night and all I had was my psp, so I played a little Pure. Feels like a completely different game now. I'm embarrassed that I piloted the way I did, but I felt even worse that I was still able to so easily beat the AI. HD/Fury's red tailed dogs have a lot more bite in them.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sh1kamaru-

what tileon said about Pure and modesto heights can be applied to Pulse too, Talon's junction seems quite wider on pulse, but this is compensated by the fact that the craft is worse for taking turns

PSN ID
    Jimsin

Ahh - going on holiday tomorrow morning and don't think the PSP will arrive to help me get more motion sickness on the bus than usual - look forward to seeing all these new tracks when I return, although they will have to quite amazing to keep me away from online racing now - I'm becoming badly obsessed!

Timezone
    GMT + 2

Outpost 7 is the biggest bastard i've ever seen, especially that bridge... put it in Zone mode, and cash money to anyone who can make it to Zen. Seriously... it makes Chenghou look like a rookie track

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

You don't go on the bridge, ever.

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

Nice thread! Pulse rules lol

Quote Originally Posted by CJS View Post
    Outpost 7 is the biggest bastard i've ever seen, especially that bridge... put it in Zone mode, and cash money to anyone who can make it to Zen.
    07 can't be raced in Zone Mode, it's not an option! bummer... NOT! lol

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DividedXZero

A favorite vid of outpost 7 i found a while back, and i see that Assayyeah commented on it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRwezTKL2-k