• other control pad

0 0%

Thread: Which is your controlling weakness/ The thread for handicaps

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Danterich

Unhappy Which is your controlling weakness/ The thread for handicaps

I wonder if any of you have a problem at mastering the controller( in my case Dualshock3) properly? In my endless sessions in WipeoutHD i almost never(just once with endless turbos and lots of luck) made it in the top 10 of the leaderboards. The reason is i´m handicapped(in the meaning of sports,no , i have 10 fingers lol)
    I´m uncapable in pulling off those BRs which are requiring the use of nose up plus sideshift left. Those goddamn left sideshifts! Simply my fingers are too long i think. I use the standard configuration(airbrakes L2 R2,stick). I tried many varieties(even sega controller) ,and of course the L1/R1 buttons, without success!
    (please jabberjaw(or anyone?) make me a PS3-negcon PLEASE)
    I never had a prob with the negcon in the rest of the wipeouts(except pure and pulse of course)

Now i ask you again, have any of you similar probs at mastering the controls? Any handicaps? Please don´t be shy!
    Last edited by Danterich; 16th July 2010 at 10:45 AM. Reason: typo error

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Same as you, but my consistency doing BR's is far worse, it can depend on which controller I use, but it's also down to how many BR's I have done, my left thumb seems to have a BR exhaustion point, once it gets close to that point BR success drop off a lot, go over the limit I might get 1 in 2.

That's using the D-Pad, I can't steer without over-steering using the stick, and as for doing a BR with it, in my dreams, I think I've done it once or twice and ended up crashing from the shock of it working.

Tried using L2R2, even bought some of those little clip on triggers, no use, hopeless for me, my hands aren't used to the spread and cramp up.

I sort of wish I was a complete newbie to Wipeout, and could learn afresh to use the stick with it's finer steering control, and the L2R2 analog air brakes which also have finer control, not tied to the old ways of controlling the craft because it's just too hard to for me to adjust.
    Not sure if I'd change the thrill of cockpit view to near or far view, even though that also has some advantages.

OT: just realized my 2000 post.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

My biggest handicap is this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc9_wSk8OP0
    It's in French so basically it says : on Dual Shock, analog sticks are "curved up" (sorry, no idea how to explain this in English)... where as on my good old PS1 analog controller, they are "curved down" ... which is one if the most stupid "innovation" I've seen over the last 15 years (I sweat a lot from hands...).

Honestly, I can't do advanced BR with analog stick... that's why I switched to D-Pad after completing the Campaign...

I have also troubles to sideshift on the left (not skilled with my index, I couldn't sideshift on L2/R2 ... I even thought of using square and triangle for airbreaks...)

But hey, even without this, I'd still be far far away from top 50

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    karsten_beoulve

I'm very weak with BRs... sometimes it seems to me that i can't pull the out at all... i even missed the anulpha overpass one...

But sometimes i pull them quite normally (the easiest and basic ones, obviously)... So i guess it's mostly, stress, tiredness, anger for losing too much ( ), or god knows what...

Sometimes might be lag too?

mistery to me

I've never reached the top 100 (stuck in the top 150-200) for a reason i guess

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

My main handicap is BRing while turning at the same time or even worse, sideshifting. Like Danterich I'm just just equipped with the fine motorskills needed

My second largest handicap or maybe bad habit is using the airbrakes for straightning up the craft when I oversteer instead of focussing on NOT oversteering. I'm increasingly using the airbrakes for those tiny corrections. I really should stop it.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    IoannisVita

same as you Dante i HATE left corners and sideshifts!
    i don't know why...
    especially TJ rev is my worst track by far.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

im better suited to the PSP Pure and Pulse setup. Sideshifting and steering with the PSP nub. Is heaps easier than pulling it off with the Goliath PS3 L3 stick. Then again Pulse and also Pure have a different dynamics in the game. I have evolved to use the triggers on HD now from what i originally had before. Which was the R1, L1 setup. I use the DPAD over the L3 option. If BR wasnt integrated so deeply with the steering of the ship then i might of been able to opt with the L3 alternative.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

That's funny, i have long fingers and have no trouble executing the left sideshift. My BR consistency can be affected by online lag, if i execute it too fast on the analog stick.

But other than that, i develop a very unusual problem in my right thumb at some point. Thing is, i press X to thrust, not with the tip of my thumb, but with the first juntion between the tip phalanx and the second one (where there's a curve if you open up your thumb like that ). This way i can hold down X and fire weapons on Square at the same time. Quicker for me instead of lifting my thumb to press whatever button i need, and i always played WipEout games this way. At some point, after a long time of playing, like weeks and months, this sopt on my thumb get very painful, and i can't fold it normally. And of course if press on it to play WipEout, its also painful. I just can't play any other way than this to be effective

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by Danterich View Post
    WipeoutHD i almost never(just once with endless turbos and lots of luck) made it in the top 10 of the leaderboards
    It's possible to have fun with the game and be a respected member here and online without any top 10 rank !

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Ive got double jointed fingers and hands. Probably why im more suited to the PSP over the PS3 setup. But i find the BR's in HD are very slow. In Pulse they are quicker, and even quicker more in Pure, and with a high success rate of response as well. I think out of all the options available, that analogue triggers and the L3 button are my weak settings. Its just not precise i find, its fiddly as.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I don't like using the Dual Shock's D-Pad that much, which is why I use a USB Saturn pad. But even with that I'm still no good at doing split second barrel rolls. Really I should be at an advantage having a wired controller with 6 face buttons and huge shoulder buttons, but sadly my reaction speed is too slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonshi
    Thing is, i press X to thrust, not with the tip of my thumb, but with the first juntion between the tip phalanx and the second one
    That's how I've always done it on any pad, that's the best way to accelerate and use the other buttons. Luckily for me it doesn't hurt despite doing it for many years.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    karsten_beoulve

Quote Originally Posted by leungbok View Post
    It's possible to have fun with the game and be a respected member here and online without any top 10 rank !
    that is what most people are respected but not competitive to the masters

BTW, i use the same position for thrust/weapons, and i get the same problems after hours. i guess it's just normal mates.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Quote Originally Posted by leungbok View Post
    Agreed.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Danterich

Thanks for your comments guys, appreciated.
    And i hope i AM a respected member here
    I guess i just have to practice those damn left sideshifts more intense offline.
    Last edited by Danterich; 27th July 2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: stupid mistake, sorry

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Which is your controlling weakness
    Women

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    IoannisVita

LOL OBH!
    but i think he was talking about wipeout...

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    haiku_

I can't pitch and barrel roll. It only works for me well on 2 tracks.

Vineta K fwd I can do the pitch BR at the last straight away (if I have the turbo)

Sebenco Climb fwd I can do the pitch BR coming up the big hill in the tunnel to hit the BR over the winding straight.

I've been working on my pitching a lot and I just keep getting stuck to walls trying to pitch down/turn. I think my fingers are incapable of the delicate coordination. I use L analog stick and R2/L2 for airbrakes/shift.

This inability to pitch and turn well really kills me on Sol2.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    IDReaper

That's just about the exact opposite of me haiku, I have to pitch when I BR. For me the sheer distance(lol) between the left and right of the dpad is to great for me to make a sucessful BR. My thumb just isnt fast enough. When I pitch up for a BR I only have to wiggle the down button on the dpad left to right and the game picks it up. I also have this wierd oversteering issue that i have never been able to get rid of, not even with heavy ships so I constantly have to sideshift opposite of the inside wall after a turn.