Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ramming priority

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

In my experience it is spread out in the sense that everyone does it. I get thrown around all over the place by pretty much everyone if it's a bad game. Certain players seem to do it all the time but I think that's just the people with the worst connections. I think ships that have high handling stats are worse, possibly because they can change direction more quickly and the game loses track of them. It's possible that some might try and take advantage of the phenomenon by sideshifting more around or into other pilots. But the way it appears on the screen to us is almost definitely not how it appears to the other person. In some cases where the thing happens that haiku describes, both ships could well be 'stuck' together, both losing a lot of shields. That kind of thing makes it pretty hard to intentionally ram other pilots, because the chances are you'll come off just as badly, or worse.

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    If this whole phenomenon of "oblivious ramming" by those who say they are not intending to ram another pilot is put down to lag, how come certain pilots are consistently more "oblivious" than others, surely if the lag was solely to blame the ramming would be spread out over the whole field, not so isolated as to make one pilot stick out for doing it.
    Haha! Yep, exactly the same as in Pulse. Always the same players.

edit: Yes, probably something to do with connections. ^

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    If this whole phenomenon of "oblivious ramming" by those who say they are not intending to ram another pilot is put down to lag, how come certain pilots are consistently more "oblivious" than others, surely if the lag was solely to blame the ramming would be spread out over the whole field, not so isolated as to make one pilot stick out for doing it.
    It has to do with ping. Some people have great ping, others not so much (refer to internet thread if you wanna know.)
    The game uses interpolation code to predict the movement of the ships between each packet of data that is sent that confirms the position of a ship at a certain time. You get a high ping, and these packets are either delayed or lost.
    The game also smooths the racing line of a ship, as to not have it teleport all around and turn at right angles.
    Combine those two approaches and you get what you see: players with good ping don't ram often because the packets are tight; and players with bad ping the interpolation code has to make up for, and so they often appear to run into walls all over the place, add the smoothing element and you'll get a ship that rams you for a very long while before suddenly teleporting slightly forward as the next packet of data successfully came in.

The job by SL in that regard could've been done better to be honest. There are plenty of racing games out there with better code to deal with the packet loss, ping and lag. My guess is they used the PSP code essentially because you can observe the same phenomenon on the WipEout Pulse online infrastructure. Unfortunately the PSP code is not working well on PS3 coupled with the punishing collision physics. :/

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Well that makes sense, if the same happens in PULSE online, which I've never played, and SL has used basically the same code for HD it's bound to stay the same.
    My experience is similar to yours Saturn, it does tend to be the more maneuverable craft [ Feisar, Assagi] that tend to ram the most.
    Which is counterproductive for them as they have the weakest shields, but it was either Elhabib or Hellfire that used to complain about AG craft beating up his Quirex.

Strangely it doesn't seem to happen as much with the FURY craft as much as the HD ones, why that might be I have no idea.
    Maybe it's piloting skills developed from play HD which are showing themselves when people eventually got FURY.