Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Primary Racing Downfall

Timezone
    GMT -5

Something tells me if Lance were online in WOHD - Kigo would begin foaming at the mouth.

Call it a hunch.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TehRedScar

LOL IH8YOU!
    Oh how I want to see it so now, lets start a "Buy Lance a PS3 fund" (he doesn't have 1 right? memory is failing me more often these days)

My racing skills are certainly not mind-blowingly awesome. My internet connection is through a wireless router in the house of my friend next door. I don't even know if I can connect the console properly to the net, but in reality, I just don't actually care, because racing online just seems to be full of frustrating glitches that I don't want to deal with and too large a percentage of childish people who are poor losers and even worse winners. I find that the older I get, the less crap I am willing to put up with. If I'm going to do something for fun, I want it to be fun.

RedScar, you remember correctly; I don't have a PS3 and I've very little incentive to get one.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DividedXZero

Oh... i see.
    Well i completely understand the "what you're willing to put up with" aspect.
    But overall, in WO racing, few and far between do i encounter childish ppl or negative losers/winners.

As far as the glitches go, yeah i completely understand soiling (did i spell that right?) your wipeout experience and sticking with what you know is fun.

-I just like the variety of circumstances you get in an online race that the AI couldnt reproduce offline.

I've had a lot of fun competing for best times in challenges here on the WZ. Good people and no irritations.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Quote Originally Posted by DividedXZero View Post
    Lol @ Kyonshi (you're talking about Modest last night right?)

I have sever anger issues, but they never arise in a game....i guess it's because i play my games for fun and to get away from stress. Now i do get frustrated at time. And when odd things happen like getting weapon r@ped I just chuckle or laugh sarcastically thinking "Aww, you think that was cute(or funny) dont you...?"

I can be very competitve, but i know my limits compared to some of the elite. So as long i do my best knowing what my best is, i'm generally content.

But beside the bump the track and float in the air effects, i hate it when i do a sharp turn and brake improperly and end up going OVER the edge of the track in mid turn...so frustrating.

Happened on the 2nd to last turn on Talons Junction fwd and on the U-turn turn (where you BR) on Sol 2 fwd.
    LOL @ me on Modesto, like you said i almost crapped my pants that time

But you forgot to mention that you take Sol 2 very personal and ask for replays when you're not satisfied with your performance

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonshi View Post
    Another thing which makes me go mad is, like everybody knows me, is when i get stupid collision effects and get thrown out of the track because of it...
    Tell me about it. I now learned to take it with a laugh, but the other day that Talons Junction one was just too much. I admit to raging a little then.

You guys are confirming my reasons for not racing online!

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DividedXZero

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonshi View Post
    But you forgot to mention that you take Sol 2 very personal and ask for replays when you're not satisfied with your performance
    Uhm....I didn't forget.... LOL

I just didn't mention it...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    billychanxtr33m

as much as i hate quiters in online matches, going off course twice will make me quit unconditionally. i dont even think about it, its just a knee jerk reaction.

PSN ID
    Jimsin

I always seem to get an itchy nose in zone mode when hitting subsonic

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    BlochNWhitey

Mine has to be a mix between lag, and people in my racing line, I REALLY hate when I'm trying to make a turn and there's someone right in the way.

I'm in the same boat as Lance though, I rarely ever race online, maybe one or two times a month.. and lag/horrible hosts will usually kill it for me.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by billychanxtr33m View Post
    as much as i hate quiters in online matches, going off course twice will make me quit unconditionally. i dont even think about it, its just a knee jerk reaction.
    That's too bad - then you shall never know the ecstasy of coming back and winning after some epic (#*$ ups.

For me, it completely nullifies my (@*$ups in the first place - and occasionally adds 2" to my e-di*k.

Why isn't mine Holms status you say? Because every time I race a Frenchie - I lose 3". Those guys are brutal.

PSN ID
    superpj1

Quote Originally Posted by Vartazian View Post
    I have a Enormous problem with letting my temper get out of hand. Its good because it gets that fire of competition inside me burning. However it is also my downfall because I start making stupid mistakes to start proving myself (Stopping for 3 seconds to shoot someone with rockets instead of just flying) also when Im angry I notice I either have one of 2 outcomes, I race flawlessly or I mess up a F@#$ton.

I cant take losing either. I fear people see me as weak if I lose a race, or a match (in ANY game not just wipeout)

Well, lets hear yours folks
    First of all thanks for this great topic Vartazian, now we don't feel alone

I'm a cool guy but I sometimes lose my temper too ! Especially when I race very good players like xbarnsterx, robcoxy, or a few others. It's psychological, I know that they are skilled and will make virtually no mistakes so I "overplay", I fly too close to the lines or try impossible things and finally I fail miserably but I always stay fairplay, it's important

And yes, like you I sometimes fear what people will think when I lose. When you're ranked 40+ and you lose vs people ranked 10 you feel ashamed, yet having a low rank doesn't always mean the guy is weak, and anyway it's just a game

Good therapy topic. My main issue is lack of time - more of that could cure some other issues. More practice just makes you fly better lines without trying.

My main downfall is that when I play online I cannot enter the "zone" of piloting that I can offline. I am divorced from the ship, not in the moment and not fully concentrating. I`m rarely focussed offline, but online I am several degrees more detached. I forget to concentrate, and won`t allow myself to, sometimes. What makes a really strong pilot is not just reaction times, motor skills etc, it is also the ability to enter the right mental state where skills can reach their true potential, I think.

I accept all that and do enjoy playing online, I just have to avoid it after a very bad day or it will be a worse day.

Timezone
    GMT + 2

People can get seriously pissed online. Quite scary.
    I've pretty much come this close to snapping my controller in half every time i phail the BR onto the Anulpha Pass bridge. And after the 3rd fail, it respawns you upside down, which makes me want to scream, "I hate Zico" etc. really loud. Another is when your controller runs out of charge and you just coast to the side of the track and everyone passes you. That happened in the last lap of my Motion Master run, and I was WINNING.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    Good therapy topic. My main issue is lack of time - more of that could cure some other issues.
    ^this.
    really wish I could play more right now, haven't touched the game for over a week.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

My mega-inconsistent racing lines. Done and done.

My strength in racing is being able to lose to a superior opponent and not to be unhappy but rather learn and incorperate thier style into mine and mkae me better at the game.

My weakness is getting annoyed with myself when i dont perform to my full ability, this makes me feel like not bothering to practice which wont make me better at the game.

PSN ID
    Chuckzombie

My general ham-fistedness and fat, clumsy fingers. I even struggle on the race menu! God knows how many people I've accidently "nudged" when I'm trying to adjust the menu filters!