Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Primary Racing Downfall

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

Default Your Primary Racing Downfall

So guys, We all have a problem on the track, Im not talking about not mastering a corner or something.

Im talking about something about us that hinders our performance on the track. so Im wondering what yours is.

Mine is a Double Edged sword, it both does me good and bad. And I know some people are aware of it on this forum.

My Rage issues.

I have a Enormous problem with letting my temper get out of hand. Its good because it gets that fire of competition inside me burning. However it is also my downfall because I start making stupid mistakes to start proving myself (Stopping for 3 seconds to shoot someone with rockets instead of just flying) also when Im angry I notice I either have one of 2 outcomes, I race flawlessly or I mess up a F@#$ton.

I cant take losing either. I fear people see me as weak if I lose a race, or a match (in ANY game not just wipeout)

Well, lets hear yours folks
    Last edited by Vartazian; 7th August 2009 at 09:16 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Drugs-Bunny

My weakness is my temper for when someone hits me with a missile when I'm in the lead, and it seems like every single ship that overtakes me has a weapon in store for my ship's rear end. My ex-PS3 controller was unfortunate to meet it's doom once because of it But apart from that it's not anything as bad as this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBVmfIUR1DA

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Very honest and humble post Vartazian

I must admit i got anger management problems... xD I can take losing, but not when i lose to a ridiculously bad pick-up frequency, for instance... Like yesterday, i was first for a long moment on the track, but the game never let me grab one single drop weapon, only ****ing Canons and Rockets, and sooner than expected, the second guy grab a missile and screws me up. Or like i get Quaked, i stop for an eternity, the guy who send it passes me, i restart but the other guy following after hit me with 3 rockets, he passes me, and i get stuck in a momentum where he picks every items up and i pass on inactive pads and the guy following me passes on them when they reactivate and shoots me down. Then after all that, i finally grab the freakin' Shield i needed all this time, if im not destroyed right away...

Another thing which makes me go mad is, like everybody knows me, is when i get stupid collision effects and get thrown out of the track because of it... Now wouldn't like to come across myself during these times... hehe

All of this made me test the durability of my coffee table many times, and discovered how powerful me shouting can be I even broke a controller, yes.

So i know the feeling dude! Just practice saying "Goosefraba"

PSN ID
    JJohnEames

My downfall has to be playing the game for hours on end at a time. I get sleepy but i still keep playing [because im addicted, but we all are ] and start to race dreadfully. So long story short, my biggest downfall is not knowing when to quit.

Another thing is lapping bombs. I can't count the amount of times i've lost races because the guy in last place decided to be spiteful.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

You don't know Sun tze ("Art or war") ? He says that to win a fight, you must be prepared and accept defeat.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

Im Very Affiliated with Sun Tzu's Art of War.

However a Great Warrior (racer in my case) Shouldnt lose, He Doesnt make mistakes. Therefore I get angry at myself for making flaws. I get more angry at my failure as a pilot more then at other racers for shooting me.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

I can think of three main issues with my online play...

- If I get spun 180 degrees (happens far too often, what gives?) then I find it hard to motivate myself to race properly... Yes, I'm a quitter

- I race to get good times, in my opinion beating people should (hopefully) be a by-product of this. This means that
    (more often than not) I will absorb any weapon I have unless it's a turbo, AP or shield. This means that (more often than not)
    I get shat on when there are more than 3 people in a room...

- I'm not a tactician. I don't think about whether I have enough energy to BR. If I have enough energy, it happens and that's that.
    This means that unless I'm way ahead of the pack and/or get lucky, I will be eliminated during the course of a race.
    Recently I've been playing with SFX turned off so I can't tell when I'm critical either

An insight into the way I race.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

My main reason for not doing as well as others is because I'm not as skilled and devoted as everyone else. I don't race to win, I race because I enjoy racing and I don't race to get records online. If I win then that's great . I do get annoyed if I'm racing competitively such as in an international game and I feel as though I'm letting others down, but that's under different circumstances.

I don't like lag, the biggest non-skill related influence on my racing. There isn't much I can do about being knocked around all over the track. If seven ships collide into me around the first bend then I'm quite demotivated for the rest of the race .

PSN ID
    finngers

I play this game stoned the majority of the time so while I probably stay cooler then some of you who seem to get irritated with losing or getting shot I space out a lot and routinely pull really stupid shite like airbraking the wrong way or sideshifting way too much and susbequently slamming into the inside of a corner

Then again the reason I could be less competitive or irritable is because I'm always about 5+ seconds off the pace with those who are really good but whatever lol
    Last edited by finngers; 7th August 2009 at 12:54 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DividedXZero

Lol @ Kyonshi (you're talking about Modest last night right?)

I have sever anger issues, but they never arise in a game....i guess it's because i play my games for fun and to get away from stress. Now i do get frustrated at time. And when odd things happen like getting weapon r@ped I just chuckle or laugh sarcastically thinking "Aww, you think that was cute(or funny) dont you...?"

I can be very competitve, but i know my limits compared to some of the elite. So as long i do my best knowing what my best is, i'm generally content.

But beside the bump the track and float in the air effects, i hate it when i do a sharp turn and brake improperly and end up going OVER the edge of the track in mid turn...so frustrating.

Happened on the 2nd to last turn on Talons Junction fwd and on the U-turn turn (where you BR) on Sol 2 fwd.

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

The French.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Lapping bombs and mines has fuct me out of many personal best times.

Lag / vista pads are also brutal.

Racing anyone from the first page of Connavars website when set to "overall ranking" is a problem too.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

1. I can never get into the same zone when racing online as I can in Time Trials. Even in TT it takes me ages to get up to speed.

2. Tension. I don't get angry or swear at the screen. I just get really tense. This results in hand pain, which is currently preventing me from playing. It manifests in other ways too. I usually play in a very bad position. I sit a bit like the thinking man, but with a 6-axis or DS3 in my hands. Leaning on my knees and being very tense leads to pain in my knees. I need to either relax, or let it out somehow. Ideally I would find a happy medium where I can race well whilst also relaxed. But good performance only seems to come for me when I have the controller in some kind of crazy death grip. In fact, I should probably just play less or care less.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

For me it quite simply a lack of time that is my downfall. I am positive I have the skills and reflexes required to play Wipeout at a high level, but I don't have nearly enough time. 4-5 hours a week is not going to get me to that point.

But knowing that, it helps me from feeling upset when I don't win while playing against the better pilots. I do get frustrated when I can get out into first place and then as soon as 1 person hits you, another person or 2 others will hit you as well. Losing the lead and 50% of your energy in one shot stinks.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Spece2goin

@Rubix42 : i know it, i was in the same situation before stealing the PS3 from my brother

my downfall you say? beeing ramed like mad! sometimes, wipeout looks more like destruction derby or something else, but nothing clean and smoth...
    racing against people who do not know airbraking and go into me at full speed instead of turning behind me.
    so they turn, and i'm ejected outside the curve...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TehRedScar

Collisions and rage, resulting in even crappier then normal racing

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sny83

For me it's inconsistency. I might win, say, an Ubermall race finishing eleven seconds before the 2nd place player, and when the host restarts the same track with the same game settings, I end up finishing 7th or 8th, and it's not always because I got hit in the first lap by a missile or two. I just can't become consistent in my online performance. Practicing speed laps helps a lot, of course, but even on tracks I know fairly well, I get sessions where I just start bouncing off the walls for no apparent reason other than a momentary lapse of attention.

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

I'm in agreement with you sny. Inconsistency is certainly my greatest downfall...oh and the last place mines and bombs too, grrrr

Losing concentration when I can't stop my mind from thinking too much about things that may or may not have anything to do with the game.

Getting tired out too fast on Phantom speed. Sometimes I can be done after only half a dozen races, and just don't feel like racing anymore.

BTW, both of these downfalls are solo offline; I don't race online.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DividedXZero

^ Just curious Lance....no online, how come?
    (Your awesomeness @ WO would blow our minds? )