Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Modesto vs New Modesto, what do you think? what do you prefer?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

Default Old Modesto vs New Modesto, what do you think? what do you prefer?

if there was a thing that made modesto heighst cool was its gritty , dirty, sub-urban slums looking , with its tunnels scribbled with street graffiti, fumes and neon lights...everything gaves it really a character

fury modesto seems completely another place, i've check out various times all the tracks , just for fun, section by section , structure by structure and there isn't any other track ( a part the already over-talked in other threads talon's junction by the undersigned ) who has been subject to such extreme and drastic make-over
    if you pay attention all other tracks more or less mantained the same feeling of the psp counterparts and obviously due to the uber-power capability of the ps3 hardware the result is amazing, SL artists had been abble to redone things with more freedom redesigning the tracks patterns and backgrounds of all tracks,city landscapes and all, but more or less the shapes of the " main places " of the tracks remains recognizable, match with the psp version... modesto is a lonely case

now it is all fresh, clean, crispy air looking, there are green gardens instead of urban graffiti, cold glasses instead of neons, the subway on the tunnel don't exist anymore, and...what is supposed to be the purpose of that robot transformer placed near the tunnel hairpin?

new fury modesto is completely the opposite of the old pure modesto

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

All I know is that is the most frustrating track.

Something I'm finding with all of the new tracks is that is basically impossible to do a perfect lap,let alone consecutive ones at phantom speed.

You always hit a wall somewhere,at least in HD you could do perfect laps at phantom on nearly all the tracks.

It seems that all of the new [ redone] tracks,have at least one corner like the first left handed one on Chenghou or even tighter,that and the fact that the new tracks are narrower.

Timezone
    GMT + 2

I have to agree. HD Modesto looks like what HD Citta Nuova should look like.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    It seems that all of the new [ redone] tracks,have at least one corner like the first left handed one on Chenghou or even tighter,that and the fact that the new tracks are narrower.
    That's why I stick to Tech De Ra - no ridiculous turns to navigate

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Tech De Ra is like Anulpa Pass or Moa Therma compared to Modesto forward.

Try piloting Modesto forward in cockpit view at Phantom speed.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kaori714

I regret the old one, because when you link up all speed pad between the tunnel and big jump over the edge, it was an awesome sensation of speed, like you sustained the ship, not found on Fury. Similarly, the chicanes in the tunnel were much more pronounced, and it was a real challenge to fly across them without touching walls or wasting time.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

bw if i tried that i think i'd probably pass-out

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sny83

Tech De Ra is like Anulpa Pass or Moa Therma compared to Modesto forward.
    I actually managed a perfect lap at phantom speed on Modesto forward... however, Modesto reverse... is a nightmare on Phantom. Thank god the AI sucks at navigating the tight turns as well, by getting a head start in one of the runs I was able to escape the constant barrage of weapons that - coupled with the wall hits - kept eliminating me try after try in the campaign event.

At least on the new version, one would have a nice clean spot to eject from the ship onto.
    Could have an impromptu picnic, and watch the racing.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Try piloting Modesto forward in cockpit view at Phantom speed.
    It's amazing! You should try xD

But yes like kaori, the PurE version was better for that exact reason: chaining the boost pads at the chicane exit, and the chicane itself.

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

Sorry Blackwiggle. I love MH at phantom, it's such a good challenge.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

so...i was talking decidedly about the aesthethic/ environment structural aspect of modesto...anyway interesting

Just watched the PSP version and I see what you mean...it has a darker edge to it. I quite like the PSP version and wish Fury was the same

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I like both old, gritty Modesto and the new clean, utopian Modesto. By the looks of things Modesto was changed to fit into the Fury aesthetic better, it might have looked out of place had it been graffiti'd up and still a bit grimy. Fury and HD in general has that more minimalist look to it, if that's the right term.

New Modesto Heights is probably my favourite out of the two, but not by much. I like the new look and it has the unfair advantage of being able to have the extra little details like the crazy robot in the tunnel and the skies filled with traffic, both near and far.

As a circuit it's fun to race too, it isn't the easiest track to navigate but it's fun trying .

PSN ID
    Axellink

I gotta agree with you BW, the old version is better. The dark neon look was a throwback to the old WO days. It's kinda sad to see, the developers take the route that they did with MH. I hope they don't (bastardise) other tracks like this just to fit it in with the whole feel of the game.

Basically, i want me graffiti back!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    tileon

I can do perfect laps on modesto forward and backward on zone mode.... as far as Phantom. (but not ONLY perfect laps obviously)

Modesto is just completely unforgiving as far as the raceline is concerned. Particularly on reverse, where the speed pads all but lineup.

The tunnel hairpin on reverse at phantom speed must me approached on the far left side, but then there's a bump in the wall on the left, so it's a very dangerous turn. Just slam the airbrake continually, then don't forget to use the right airbrake swiftly after comming out of there.

But, yeah, even though you know how it should be done, it's still hard. I think modest Fury is the top track of this game...

Also, I just don't get why they changed the inner city / Ghetto feel of it for this cold futuristic bluish makeover. It's just not justified... Like Talon's Junction is up in the air now and used to be in the Brecon Beacons... what's with the future OVER coolness, SL?

Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    I gotta agree with you BW, the old version is better. The dark neon look was a throwback to the old WO days. It's kinda sad to see, the developers take the route that they did with MH. I hope they don't (bastardise) other tracks like this just to fit it in with the whole feel of the game.

We have a winner! I agree, and actually really hope they leave past tracks well alone with HD from now on and do some originals...i hate to think what they would do to Altima VII if they HD-ified it!!!

Or Korodera uncorroded?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

Quote Originally Posted by burt_ie View Post
    Just watched the PSP version and I see what you mean...it has a darker edge to it. I quite like the PSP version and wish Fury was the same
    indeed, w3o days? sampa run? stanza inter? hii fumi? tell you something to you these names?

Quote Originally Posted by Amorbis View Post
    the extra little details like the crazy robot in the tunnel and the skies filled with traffic, both near and far.
    yes, but who is that robot!!! who is it!! what its purpose!!? blargh ahahahah

Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post

perfectly hit the point

Quote Originally Posted by tileon View Post
    Also, I just don't get why they changed the inner city / Ghetto feel of it for this cold futuristic bluish makeover. It's just not justified... Like Talon's Junction is up in the air now and used to be in the Brecon Beacons... what's with the future OVER coolness, SL?
    indeed

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Reverse, I don't know, but I preferred the Forward track layout on PURE, in fact
    it's one of my favorite tracks ever, for the reasons kaori mentioned.

However the new graphics are incredible and there is no going back for me ...