Thread: Re-assigned brakes to the shoulder buttons; I can't believe that I didn't do it sooner.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    JayMinerFan

Default Re-assigned brakes to the shoulder buttons; I can't believe that I didn't do it sooner.

So, after months of ignoring Wipeout HD, I decided to get back into it again. Cue wailing and gnashing of teeth as I tried in vain to side-shift with the PS3's triggers. As I was about to give up on the game for good, I decided to re-map them to the shoulder buttons; I had done so in the past, but I had never been able to get comfortable with the new layout. This time, however, after several races, it felt natural again and gave me the ability to play Wipeout HD correctly for the first time since I'd gotten it way back in 2008. Now, I've been playing it almost non-stop, and I'll probably start playing online in the near future.

Now that I've been able to play it well, I can see that it easily shames the other games in the series for depth, challenge, and content (although those games have their own advantages over Wipeout HD), and I think that it even manages to edge out F-ZERO GX as the best hovercraft racing game ever. It's one of the best racing games in any style in its own right.

Just thought that I'd post this here. See you online!
    Last edited by Dan Locke; 29th November 2010 at 02:42 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    haiku_

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Locke View Post
    and I think that it even manages to edge out F-ZERO GX as the best hovercraft racing game ever
    Look I love F-Zero, but there is no contest here. F-Zero is like mini-golf compared to Wipeout's PGA Tour.

Anyway, I tried remapping the brakes to the shoulders before, and though side shifts were easier, I didn't like losing the ability to analog brake in certain places. Especially on tracks where you can use air brakes for most of your steering.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    JayMinerFan

Quote Originally Posted by haiku View Post
    Look I love F-Zero, but there is no contest here. F-Zero is like mini-golf compared to Wipeout's PGA Tour.
    F-ZERO, yes. But I was talking about F-ZERO GX. If you really did mean F-ZERO GX, you can't have played it for more than five minutes.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

I've not tried it yet.I think I most probably won't as I'm used to the triggers.
    Are the shoulder buttons pressure sensitive as well? Because it seems like cross,circle,triangle,square and the triggers are.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    JayMinerFan

The face buttons are definitely pressure-sensitive; I'm not so sure about the shoulder buttons, though. Play around with the sensitivity settings if you want to test it out. (I would do it myself, but I have school to do at the moment.)

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Everything except the D-Pad, Start, Select & PS buttons are analogue as far as I know.

Welcome to the wonderfull world of L1/R1 airbrakes Dan, you know it makes sense

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    IndoorSnowStorm

As soon as I bought HD, I reassigned the airbrakes to the shoulder buttons for two reasons:

1. Seeing as the only WipEout game I had before was Pulse, I was used to the PSP's shoulder buttons.

2. For me, the triggers take too long to push down to turn through a corner.

Timezone
    GMT -8

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Locke View Post
    F-ZERO, yes. But I was talking about F-ZERO GX. If you really did mean F-ZERO GX, you can't have played it for more than five minutes.
    I beat the hell out of GX, got all the AC tracks, etc, and still consider WOHD the superior game. By alot.
    IMO, Pure > HD >= WO3 > FZX > Pulse > FZ > FZGX
    Last edited by GameKyuubi; 29th November 2010 at 11:59 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Most of the old school WO pilots remapped the air brakes as soon as the game was released, mainly as we are so used to having them situated there from PS1 controller days.
    I tried the L2/R2 analog triggers and although more sensitive, or I should say finer control than the digital L1/R1, they do feel spongy [even with the addition of those after market clip on's for the triggers].

Plus it just didn't feel right to me, I found my hands were cramping up from having my fingers spread out spider like around the controller.

I've always recommended swapping the default air brake controls to L1/R1, plus equally as important, experimenting with the sensitivity, 70% or less, to people who have found themselves hitting a brick wall not being able to go any further in the game.
    It's made a hell of a lot of difference to a lot of pilots who might of given up on HD otherwise.

OT:Osama Bin Hayden remaps his airbrakes to L1/R1 and maps weapon fire/absorb to the L2/R2 which seems like a good tip and works for him.
    You might as well ditch Reverse view & Chat to Select and R3 as neither are of any use and freeze the game while online

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    haiku_

Ok well now I am convinced. I have to try this again. I didn't realize how many people had success with it.

Yeah Dan, I am talking about F-Zero GX. But let me clarify because I don't want this thread to become some banal pissing match or go way off tangent.

I LOVED F-Zero GX. It was a stellar game. It was very challenging, beautiful, and there was a ton of game there to play. Ultimately, it just didn't feel like very strong racing. But that is why I used the mini-golf analogy. There is nothing wrong with mini-golf. It's a lot of fun, and crazy things can happen in a game, and it's relaxing and aesthetically pleasing. It's just that as far as a serious AG racing game goes, I didn't think the depth was there.

Wipeout HD on the other hand feels like a legitmately serious racing game. There is nothing gimmicky about it at all, and it's the kind of thing you can keep playing over and over again to shave off those tenths of a second. It's not the kind of thing you would do in F-Zero GX because there is too much variance in the play and too much zany stuff going on.

So really I should have worded my initial post better because I think ultimately the two cannot be compared, but if I had to pick one as a serious AG Racing game, I would put WOHD far before F-Zero GX.

Time to go remap some PS3 buttons.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    FEISAR-CSY

Default Wierdly for me...

It seems like for me,remapping the airbrakes do not work. I must've been used to the triggers as Airbrakes. But does it help if you remap Absorb and Use to the shoulder buttons if you use the triggers as airbrakes?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Ah, Dan, there you are.

Re-assigned brakes. This.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by F.E.I.S.A.R View Post
    But does it help if you remap Absorb and Use to the shoulder buttons if you use the triggers as airbrakes?
    I think that's a preference thing. I use my middle fingers for controller stability (and I'm mega used to it by now) so I can't really use shoulder buttons with them. Absorb/fire are default for me. I know pacman uses R2/L2 but remapped fire to R1 which I think is o_O but it's always about personal preference tbh. There's no right answer

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    JayMinerFan

Quote Originally Posted by haiku View Post
    So really I should have worded my initial post better because I think ultimately the two cannot be compared, but if I had to pick one as a serious AG Racing game, I would put WOHD far before F-Zero GX.
    Ah. I can't argue with you there; Wipeout has always been more serious compared to F-ZERO's arcade-style approach. I just happen to think that F-ZERO GX is as perfect a cheesy, fast, over-the-top game as Wipeout HD is a (comparatively) calm, technique-oriented game. (Not that F-ZERO GX doesn't demand skill and technique in its own right, but it's of a far different sort from Wipeout HD's airbraking and side-shifting.) Like you, though, I do prefer Wipeout HD's seriousness and emphasis on piloting skill, which is why it "edges out" F-ZERO GX for me.

Quote Originally Posted by F.E.I.S.A.R View Post
    It seems like for me,remapping the airbrakes do not work. I must've been used to the triggers as Airbrakes. But does it help if you remap Absorb and Use to the shoulder buttons if you use the triggers as airbrakes?
    That's what I did before; I always found it to be more effective than trying to spread my thumb over three different face buttons. When I changed the brakes to the shoulder buttons, I mapped the weapon controls to the triggers.

And, trust me, you only need practice to get aquainted with the shoulder buttons. In my experience, the effort is more than worth the payoff.

PSN ID
    DaMiGiSan, DaMiGiX

Smile

I have the controls set up like the default settings on the NeGeCon were for WipEout Xl (2097 for those of you in England/Europe ).With the Square for Accelerate & the X button switched to Absorb, that way you can keep your thumb on the Square button & if you have a weapon/pickup that you don't need, you can just press the X button to Absorb the item.It seems to work for myself, here's the whole layout for those that are interested ;

L1 = Flip/EMP/Invalid Lap
    R1 = Fire Weapon/Use Pickup
    L2 = Left Airbrake
    R2 = Right Airbrake
    Square = Accelerate
    X = Absorb Weapon/Pickup
    Triangle = Camera
    O = Look Back
    L3 = Voice Chat (I hardly use a Mic when playing so thats why I put it there, made sense to myself)

Airbrake Sensitivity = 90%
    Acceleration Sensitivity = 70%