Thread: PlayStation Wheel Support

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Haywire_Guy

Default PlayStation Wheel Support

Hi all, i have a couple questions regarding the PlayStation Wheel;

1.) I recently purchased a steering wheel for the Playstation One, and while Wipeout and Wipeout 2097 work flawlessly on the console, Wip3out doesnt seem to have any response. Has anyone tried the wheel out with this particular game?

2.) I loved playing Wipeout 2097 with the steering wheel (esp through cockpit view), and i was wondering if Wipeout HD supported the PS3 wheel for controlling? It would certainly make the game feel a touch easier, and probably more enjoyable to play.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

*Note to the Moderators; Sorry one of my questions isn't related to the game subcategory, but i didnt want to create 2 threads basically asking the same thing for different consoles.
    Last edited by Haywire_Guy; 23rd August 2009 at 11:29 AM.

PSN ID
    Xtriko, PS3, PSP & Vita

I already played WipEout HD with a Logitech G25 lol. Mate, just forget it XD

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Ravenwest_15

A driving wheel doesn't give you the right feeling. You shall try a joystick/cloche instead.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    NightArh

Wipeout HD and Wipeout are different games a wee bit

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    jan709

funny, i used to play fusion with a wheel. And i have to say it fits the feel really well .

On the other hand, HD is way to fast to play with a wheel.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    PainAndTears

I went to best Buy and saw a wireless wheel and thought, "Wow, how awesome would Wipeout HD be if I used it?", so I bought it to test it out. I forgot the name of the maker and name of the wheel, but it did work. But soon I ran into many problems with the wheel. I had to spend a good 30-60mins trying to change the control settings on the wheel to make the playing feel right. It's a lot harder than it sounds. The two foot pedals, gas was set for X, and the brake pedal was Square. Also on the wheel were two plastic slab buttons you could pull. The right one was X, and the left one was square, and you could not change them to be a different button, which was a problem because I wanted the right one to be my right air break and the left to be left air break, but again not being changeable, they had to stay as X and square. So for my air breaks I had to make the left top button on the wheel which I think was triangle, and the top right button I think was circle, so I made that the right air break. Camera view was gear shift up, and gear shift down was for absorb item. It sounds strange, but it was about the best set up I could do. I tried to race on venom anulpha pass, because it's the slowest and one of my best tracks, but the turning via wheel was not responsive enough, so I looked up how to change the sensitivity and put it at the highest. It still wasn't as responsive as the d-pad. The wheel also has left, right, down and up arrows, which works as well as the d-pad, but it was lower and to the left of the wheel, and that was the only way to do a barrel roll, because trying to steer left-right-left or right-left-right took to long to do and I couldn't get a barrel roll off that way. So basically, the wheel was fun to use, but not worth keeping if I wanted a chance at winning races again. Stick with your sixaxis and use d-pad ftw.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    K-MIZER

^ lol That sounds like a pain in the cerebellum...

The wheels are useless in general on ps3. The ones I have used have WAY too big a dead zone, and you cannot set the sensitivity to a low enough setting to turn fast enough. The thrustmaster wheel allowed for button customization so you could barrel roll very easily with three button/dpad presses, but the sensitivity on that was crappy as well. I did use this wheel for the negcon however for the guts, and used the potentiometer from the xcelerator motorcycle wheel to make it turn faster, and it works great. I bet if you were to switch the pot with the motorcycle pot, that wheel would very very nicely. Maybe I'll try it before I destroy the next wheel completely making a negcon

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    jan709

@PainAndTears
    thats sound a lot like my fusion wheel set up, luckily fusion is from the pre barreroll era