Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Back up you game save data pre system 3.00 update

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Default Back up you game save data pre system 3.00 update

I got a heads up from those in the know.

The system 3.0 update is going to be big,it will not be a optional upgrade,you will have to get it.

It makes a lot of changes.

Better safe than sorry.

Recommend you all Upload your Wipeout game save data to a USB drive of some sort,be it a stick drive or outboard HD prior to Sept 1

Release date for system 3.00 is slated between Sept 1 & 3

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DividedXZero

Thanks for the head up!

Btw: anywhere we can read on 3.00 update details?
    i've seen the demo of 3.00 but i wish to find a detailed list of what features and changes it would include.

Another update? sheesh. I hope Sony are through with this crap by the time I want to buy a PS3 Slim. Looking on the bright side, any optional updates, I could just ignore.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

I don't actually remember the last time there was a mandatory update, anyone?

these updates bore me.the amounts of times ps3 and 360 update is silly.i like just wanna play a game and it takes ages to start.
    wish updates could be done in the background.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    okam--

The slim should come with the 3.0 update allready installed, so I don't think you would have to deal with any large updates anytime soon. But don't forget that you can download updates to a USB thumbdrive and install from that - for me that's usually been faster than going via the PS3 update function.

What's the filesize on the usual update?

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Over 100megs if memory serves me correctly 130-160

Fairly chunky, but at least it's not gigabyte sized. It's whole different world from the PSX/Dreamcast era, when 1 meg was huuuuuge.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Updates can be pretty annoying. Game updates especially, because whenever I go back to a game I haven't played in a while, I have to update it. I needed a 600MB update for Pacific Rift the other day, which didn't seem to have done anything noticeable once installed. Then Little Big Planet needed 5 separate updates, and again, no difference was noticed. I agree with jasmin (for once ), background updates would be nice, even if they were to only let me play offline while they were happening.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up blackwiggle - will probably back up my whole system, as I haven't for a while.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

I've found details about update 3.0, if anyone's interested. Its confirmed being official anouncement from Sony.

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/news...searchid=22038

opps..almost forgot..thanks blackwiggle for this helpful tip..i couldnt handle playing for all those boring medals again to unlock the tracks and ships.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by okam View Post
    The slim should come with the 3.0 update already installed
    It comes with 2.76.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    okam--

When it comes to playing/updating old games, I know there will be a patch/update/installation required so I just mentally prepare for it, sucks a little bit less that way

What I absolutely hate though, is downloading game demos from PSN and then having to update them before I can play. FFS put the latest version up there! Even tiny game demos can have 50-100 MB patches sometimes, ugh!

BTW someone in the link posted earlier said something about no backwards compatability, and listed a whole bunch of PS1 games he wanted to play. They aren't taking out PS1 compatability are they? I'm hoping this guy just doesn't know (all?) PS3s can play PS1 games (seems like a lot of people aren't aware of that).
    Last edited by okam; 27th August 2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: added to post

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Question for y'all about PS3 data saving.

I understand there is the backup utility for backing up all of the contents of the hard drive. I recently bought an external, USB-connected hard drive and will be using this for regular PS3 backups in the future.

I also have used the option to save my WOHD game profile to a USB memory stick. This is easy enough-- select the file and hit options, then copy.

My question is whether there is an easy way to backup ALL of the save data related to WOHD (i.e., including the ghosts) to a USB memory stick WITHOUT having to go through the long list of files and copy them over individually.

Maybe I am just stupid but I could not figure out how to do this last week when I was doing a back up

Edit--
    Quote Originally Posted by okam View Post
    BTW someone in the link posted earlier said something about no backwards compatability, and listed a whole bunch of PS1 games he wanted to play. They aren't taking out PS1 compatability are they?
    Lordy, I sure hope not. Isn't PS1 compatibility on the PS3 entirely software based? It would seem... punitive... for Sony to kill PS1 support.
    Last edited by Frances_Penfold; 27th August 2009 at 08:46 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    PoliPino

From what I understood the PS3 (and PS2 for that matter) uses the PS1 microprocessor as its IO controller. So PS1 compatibility is just about automatic.

Also, here's the 'official' word from playstation.com:
    PlayStation 3 Firmware (v3.00) Update
    Last edited by PoliPino; 27th August 2009 at 09:22 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

PS1 compatibility isn't going away.

I don't believe there is a way to back up WipEout HD saves exclusively without going through the long list of files. You'd have to back up every save with the backup utility.

PSN ID
    YouAreFubar

Thanks for the heads up, although im concerned that I seem to remember hearing that you cant back up certain save files. I think Killzone 2 was the main culprit, and since ive completed it on elite after hours and hours of playing, I dont really want to lose my save file.

PSN ID
    ByteHawk

there is another way, disconnect the ps3 from the net
    monitor this board and see if anyone has a problem updating
    if after a week noone has any problems it's safe to upgrade

the only bad: you won't be able to play WO online until you upgrade

PSN ID
    drMannevond

About backing up everything WO in one go :
    I haven't tried this, but I know you can sort all your game data into game-specific folders (options, square something I think), so it might be possible to do that and then just copy the folder instead of each individual file.

Edit : Just tried it. Doesn't work. Guess I'll have to copy my 70(!!) wipeout files individually
    Last edited by DrMannevond; 28th August 2009 at 09:30 PM.