Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the fun in Zone Battle???

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Quote Originally Posted by Vartazian View Post
    I LOVE, zone battle, I smash computers left right and centre, not to mention crush people online. its a great rush going Super Zen online dodging barriers left and right with reckless abandon.

Lapping people who are still on Rapier speed while im Subsonic is the BEST.
    oh please...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Please El, don't tease Inf... oups, Vartazian

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I am not teasing. I am begging. Begging for dignity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonshi View Post
    Can somebody explain that to me? I tried and i tried to see the fun in it, but no, i can't.

Don't get me wrong, i know how it works, i understand the process of this mode. But it's just... boring. BORING.

And how the **** a ship in front of me already got to zone 10 on a target of 20 when we didn't even made a FULL LAP yet?!??! Maybe yes, there's something i don't get... Ok im playing on Elite, but for cryin' out loud, this is ridiculous. Im doing perfect laps and perfect zones, but dammit its never enough. Well, i can finally win after like, 20 tries...

Like its not enough to slalom through tons of mines and bombs online, we have to go around "barriers" that totally wreck your progress if a ship drops it right in your face. Oh but you can go through them without damage, just simply use all the energy you picked up and shield yourself. And back to square one. Ooooo i'm getting horny how full of action this is.

The thrill of doing another Elite Campaign Legend challenge is less attractive than it was because i have to go through this painful mode for each campaign stage.
    Its where you get to play all your favourite music and actually get to hear the end of the song, unlike the races that tend to finish halfway through.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    billychanxtr33m

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    I’m starting to believe zone battle is the best mode in Wipeout.
    It takes zone and gives you a goal to reach, rewards you for not hitting walls while collecting speed pads, and severely punishes you for making mistakes. On top of all that its a race!
    Regular zone is great for testing your skill or just simply spacing yourself out and putting your mind in a trance. Zone battle is on the other end of the spectrum, it is chaotic. You need fast reaction time for the unpredictable, not just having the track memorized. Also there is a lot of strategy involved; when to use shield/heal, where to place barriers, when to barrel roll etc.
    If so many barriers when playing 8 people is ruining the experience for you, try online 1 vs 1. Its a great test of skill and very intense.
    could not have said it better myself! in single races somebody can always get lucky with weapons but zone battle is as close as you can get to a pure test of skill and strategy

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    tileon

it's like one of those card games where you must pick up cards from a stock each turn but also get rid of them, thus transfering them to others... like UNO or the shithead.

Wouldn't it be stupid to complain that you loose at UNO despite 'playing really well'?

Like in any card game, some start in pole, some lag behind. But everyone's in the game at the same time. If you have the ability to think abstractly, you must know where you are in the game and what potential that other guy may have of converting the try.

Now, there are simple rules...

I) The more you wait to boost, the more you build up momentum (zone bar).
    BUT

1) You risk loosing zone bar by crashing
    2) As you go slower you get to fly over less pads than rushing opponents.

II)The lesser you wait to boost, the more barriers you drop.
    BUT

1) You don't speed all that much
    2)As you go slower you get ... to fly over less pads than speedy crafts. I know it's a vicious circle.

This means that you may overlap a guy and he still finishes 14 zones ahead of you (on lower targets this is common)

Now, these simple rules do not take into account the fact that

1) different targets need different strategies. (you needn't build only complete boosts for a target that's not a multiple of 8...)

2)Players good or bad cannot rush through barriers planted in a bottleneck section. The topography of the track is the key. Modesto reverse is lush hell on Zone Battle.

3)If you've built up a Zone Bar, it's perfectly fine to shield through the barrier-crowded section safely. Usually it's also littered with speed pads, replenishing your Zone Bar safely AND THEN speeding ahead.

4) That you speed/barrier-drop every two speed pad does not necessary mean you are a noob (well if you only do that, yes, you are.) It can also slow down others.

PS: If you're **** at wipeout, being smart won't help. Vice Versa
    Last edited by tileon; 31st July 2009 at 11:47 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Quote Originally Posted by ProblemSolver View Post
    @Kyonshi:
    The fun begins once you know how to play it. And you obviously don't know it.
    It's for people like you I wrote a description of how Zone Battle works. Just watch
    the 'ZONE / Zone Battle thread ...' tomorrow. I will give some usefull tips & tricks
    and I will show how one can gradually improve to become a very good Zone Battle
    player. I will even show some methods to successfully dodge the barriers most of
    the time, that is to say; how to treat a barrier upon encountering...?

You wanna know it?

Zone Battle pwn, honestly.
    Like i said, i understand how it works. But the thing is, even if i understand it, its wont be more appealing to me. Even if i can win easily, if im the best player ever, i dont find it funny because of the reasons i mentioned. Its too shallow, nothing really happens except going faster, along with the hassle of avoiding barriers... I mean, WipEout is a game solely based on combat racing, which involves weapons mainly. Maybe im too much used to play it this way? That's how i see the game, i know it may not be the same for all of us. Remove the weapons and i lose most of my interest. Its fun once in a while, but i can't really enjoy WipEout without them. ZB is just not for me.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

k k, but I wouldn't say "... nothing really happens except going faster,
    along with the hassle of avoiding barriers..."
    . Zone Battle is a fight on
    a distance. The barriers essentially keep every player connected to each
    other the hard way. xD Anyways, it's rather thrilling to dodge all the
    barriers instead of using the shield. And the thrill near the end of a battle,
    when you take the risk running on low shield to collect the pads for victory,
    is just ... .

Up to my point, Zone Battle works at its best when played online against
    similar skilled players.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonshi View Post
    I mean, WipEout is a game solely based on combat racing, which involves weapons mainly. ... Remove the weapons and i lose most of my interest. Its fun once in a while, but i can't really enjoy WipEout without them. ZB is just not for me.
    So what if we could have weapons in Zone Battle as well? xD