Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: commercials in online loading screens?

Yeah I agree - I will be sending an email to that customer service address telling them that I will not be buying anything else from PSN, in protest of the 'sly' way they have slipped adverts into the game. This is underhanded to say the least.

As for the EULA, as somebody mentioned on another forum ....'You know what Sonys lawyers are like' They have almost certainly changed it.

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

Quote Originally Posted by billychanxtr33m View Post
    for those of you that dont see the ad and are curious, here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LLTkF1IFuo
    the quality is pretty bad but you get the idea
    Is that it?

God, overreaction much. It's not like you can do anything during the loading screen so you can just ignore it, I'm usually looking at my PC during the loading screen.

Tho I must admit it's a bit weird for a ad like that. It's not going to appeal to many WPHD players...

like who cares..

adverts are part of life ..do u complain to bus driver cos he has advert on side of the bus

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    zerojay

No, because there's the expectation that the ad will be there on the side of the bus. We've paid $20 a pop to play a game that had no ads, and then suddenly ads are an unannounced feature of the Fury update that we paid another $10 for. After all this time of playing it, we're getting ads. How much further is it going to go? What's going to stop them from making us watch longer ads? Or seeing the ads more often?

And then there's also my case where I can't play Wipeout HD at all because the State Farm ads crash my PS3 each and every single time. And because it didn't finish playing when the crash happens, the ad plays the next time I try to start a game... and it crashes. The game is completely unusable to me now and no longer works.

So yeah, I think I've got a right to complain here.

If I jumped on the bus, paid my money, then sat down and he then said 'To travel on this bus, you must view this A4 page of adverts' ....then yes, I would

Quote Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
    No, because there's the expectation that the ad will be there on the side of the bus. We've paid $20 a pop to play a game that had no ads, and then suddenly ads are an unannounced feature of the Fury update that we paid another $10 for. After all this time of playing it, we're getting ads. How much further is it going to go? What's going to stop them from making us watch longer ads? Or seeing the ads more often?

And then there's also my case where I can't play Wipeout HD at all because the State Farm ads crash my PS3 each and every single time. And because it didn't finish playing when the crash happens, the ad plays the next time I try to start a game... and it crashes. The game is completely unusable to me now and no longer works.

So yeah, I think I've got a right to complain here.

no you havnt...you have no rights...hahahaha..

only joking.if it crashes your game then their is a real issue and SL need to fix this b4 fans are lost forever.hope you get it resolved
    Last edited by Aeroracer; 1st August 2009 at 02:36 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

Puma And Coca-Cola Ships anyone?

no no no no

Loreal ship and louis vitton ships

Talking

no thanks!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    zerojay

You gotta love the timing of these ads showing up... pretty much exactly AFTER all the major gaming sites have already reviewed the add-on, so they never saw it and people won't know about it until it's already been bought.

can someone put a link of this really cheesy crap sounding issurance ad up for so non americans can laugh at how unfunny it must be for you people to be subjected to it.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

Maybe State farm is covering all the people I killed when I flew My AG SYSTEMS into the Stands at Modesto

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

Quote Originally Posted by Farside View Post
    I'm extremely curious why I can't hear the ads. Happy... but still curious.
    When I got home today I fired up Fury and confirmed that I have no sound with the ad either, as I thought. Strange. Even more strange is that I'm one of the few folks that have had in-game sound problems since Fury, where some of the effects become extremely loud for no reason, making the game pretty much unplayable when it occurs. You can read about it in detail within the bug report thread. Anyway, now I'm wondering if that sound issue and the lack of sound in the ads is related in any way.

Farside, have you had any in-game sound issues like I have?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    billychanxtr33m

Quote Originally Posted by jasmin-jade View Post
    can someone put a link of this really cheesy crap sounding issurance ad up for so non americans can laugh at how unfunny it must be for you people to be subjected to it.
    teh link is on page 8 of this thread

Timezone
    GMT -6

I am also seeing the State Farm ads, and while they do bother me a bit, there is something else that I noticed that really irks me.

It looks to me like the loading progress bar slows down to wait for the ad to finish playing. I spent plenty of time with Fury before the ads showed up and Zone levels would load super fast because of the lack of textures. Now, with the ads, the loading bar zips across the screen but then slows down just in time to allow the ad to finish.

If I am right about this, it would mean that the ads are artificially increasing the load times on certain levels (Zone especially). While it's a small amount, it is certainly a disturbing trend.

Pay close attention to the loading progress bar next time the ad pops up.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by LOUDandPROUD View Post
    Farside, have you had any in-game sound issues like I have?
    Nothing like what is in your post in that thread.
    Only sound 'problem' I get is what others have mentioned about sometimes it sounds like I'm in a tunnel even though I'm not... although now that I mention it, I'm not sure if I even get that anymore (unless I simply got used to it)

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

Well, that tunnel sound thing you mentioned is part of the sound problem I'm having too. Hmmm...

ha hah...just watched the advert..it's really crap..

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Feisar31

Quote Originally Posted by IH8YOU View Post
    I don't care what anyone else thinks of me - I just got done with a session online - and I'm topped off.
    Well I just finished a session OFFLINE, and I'm done too. The ads were still there, even after I disabled the network connection and unplugged the cable. In other words, they're not streaming, they're part of the game.

I would still like to hear the answers to my questions, but until the ads are gone or removable, I don't think I'll be playing any more. I feel like there is a total lack of respect for the players from whoever is responsible for this: for not letting us know beforehand, for allowing audio in the ad, and for showing the ad at such a ridiculous frequency.

(What's the point of showing the same ad to people every 10-15 minutes in the first place? On the 5th (or 50th) time, I'm not going to suddenly go, "Wait! Stop the race! I need to get State Farm Insurance!!" It's like it was designed to piss people off.)

Quote Originally Posted by IH8YOU View Post
    It was fun while it lasted.

My thoughts exactly.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

No Adds in Canada!

Yet.....