Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: commercials in online loading screens?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    futureproof2011

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    Hey, sorry for understanding what's actually written.
    Because of in-game advertising, most likely to support the cost of the DLC (How come it's so cheap right?) and maintaining the server, so that you, the fan, the player, can keep playing WipEout, you won't be playing it anymore. Well okay, fine.

How I see it, this is more money to make more WipEout. Twas fine back in the day with the loading only reading "Red Bull", what's different now... The sound? The sponsor? It's still a loading screen... You're gonna play WipEout HD after...

As far as "The video-game industry doesn't put ads in game"... Trackmania? Quake Live? Grand Theft Auto? Burnout? etc.
    Hmm, me saying I won't be buying anymore DLC from them is NOT the same thing as saying I will never play WO again. Me saying the ads "make me not want to play" is NOT me saying I will never play again. Perhaps you should try reading what I write instead of trying to prove an opinionated point. Nice try, but no dice.

And all of those games you mentioned, I don't play those...I specifically don't play GTA because of the ads. I would NOT have purchased WOHD if they would have told us there would be ads.

That is all.

Edit:

I don't understand why people are ignoring the ad issue because the game is so cheap right off the bat...75% of the game is a REMAKE of tracks/courses that were already available. They didn't make the game from scratch, hence the lower price IMHO. I personally don't approach the game as if it is a "new" WO, hence the price seemed about right to me.

Oh, and I would have gladly paid more (or at least been given the option to pay more) if I could have the game with NO ads.
    Last edited by newtype; 31st July 2009 at 06:44 PM.

@Stinkleroy : I was just answering PjotrStroganov's post on the possiblity of the advertising revenue funding free DLC. I am well aware of the current financial meltdown

I see the Red bull advertising in 2097 to be very different from downloadable ads that are going to pop up each time a track loads up. The last thing I want to see is different adverts for crap I dont want/need every time I want to play my favourite game. TV is bad enough, without it spilling onto video games.

I think these kind of adverts shatter the illusion of the futuristic world that Wipeout delivers so well. The 2097 Red bull adverts at the time didnt really affect the game, or the futuristic feeling that much. If we get bombarded with different adverts for Swinton Insurance for example, it will just kill the game for me, and im sure a lot of other people.

Its a shame really

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    futureproof2011

+1

I feel exactly the same way. I wish there was some way we could have known about this before hand; quite frankly, they would not have my $30.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I still don't see those ads. Something special you have to do?
    Because if this add shows only once every fifteen minutes, than excuse me but you people are clearly over-reacting.
    If it's to the point that it replaces every single loading screen, then yes that can be very annoying. But if not, I don't understand the "I'm not buying a Wipeout game" and "I don't really want to play it anymore" bits. If you love Wipeout like you said you do, you'd play it even with the Coca Cola logo plastered all over (WipEout PurE PAL FYI, probably has worse advertising than this stuff. Yet the Euro friends kept playing it because it's a really really good game that they enjoyed.)

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    zerojay

I would love to do that but the stupid ad is crashing my game and I can't play it at all now.

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

Hmm my point was that it's really not going to make any difference to me either way, I'm usually in chat when the loading screen is on...plus as I do watch television from time to time, I'm easily capable of blocking advertisements from entering my consciousness It's not like I ever played wipeout 2097 for a few hours then thought hmmm I must buy some Red Bull...never happened

Although I do understand this element of reality creeping into our fantasies is unsettling, it's just inevitable really

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    futureproof2011

I still don't see those ads. Something special you have to do?
    Because if this add shows only once every fifteen minutes, than excuse me but you people are clearly over-reacting.
    If it's to the point that it replaces every single loading screen, then yes that can be very annoying. But if not, I don't understand the "I'm not buying a Wipeout game" and "I don't really want to play it anymore" bits. If you love Wipeout like you said you do, you'd play it even with the Coca Cola logo plastered all over (WipEout PurE PAL FYI, probably has worse advertising than this stuff. Yet the Euro friends kept playing it because it's a really really good game that they enjoyed.)
    I see the same State Farm ad that starts with dollar bill pictures (with the most annoying song) almost every other race, so about half the time.

I understand what you mean about the Coke ads, but it's different to me if intrusive and in-your-face vs I'm going so fast I can hardly even see the scenery. Further, the same ad pops up no matter which game-mode/race/course/etc you play. There is no way around it.

If I didn't see the ads, then I can see how many of you guys may not feel it's a big deal...but for those who live in the States, it's plastered right in front of your face every other race.

Quote Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
    I would love to do that but the stupid ad is crashing my game and I can't play it at all now.
    That hasn't happened to me yet, but I would be pissed if it did.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

zerojay says he sees them, he's also in Canada. I don't get it :s
    Are you using a Canadian PSN account zerojay?

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Feisar31

I have a few questions for Paul or anyone else at Studio Liverpool. (I hope they're reading this thread. )

1) Why are there now advertisements in the loading screens for players in the U.S. (or North America)?
    2) Will ads be shown in other territories as well? If so, when?
    3) How often are the ads shown? (e.g. every x minutes, every x races, etc.)
    4) I presume there will be ads from other companies besides State Farm. Which companies might those be?
    5) Is there any way to avoid or disable the ads?

And perhaps others could answer this one:
    6) Did anyone from Sony or Studio Liverpool mention this new "feature" before it was implemented? I don't recall reading anything about it.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    billychanxtr33m

Quote Originally Posted by Feisar31 View Post
    And perhaps others could answer this one:
    6) Did anyone from Sony or Studio Liverpool mention this new "feature" before it was implemented? I don't recall reading anything about it.
    i never saw anything about added ads and leading up to fury i was reading any news i could find about added features, release date, ect...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    JesterStoeck

The only reason I mind the ad is because of the sound. I could ignore the ad much better if I did not have to hear the music that plays during it.

I'm all for SL making money, but having an ad that makes noise is very distracting. I also do not like that no real announcement was made about it (unless I missed it). It seems like the ad was just sneaked in the game.

Anyway, I hope they remove the sound and perhaps release either some free DLC in the future (maybe a new ship or track) or put this money towards making more feature-heavy paid DLC.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    okam--

Seems many people are under the impression that much of the Fury content is simple copypasta from pure/pulse, which I very much doubt it is. It took a large amount of people months and months to put together for a reason. (Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe someone from SL even stated that is was indeed a lot of work involved to convert tracks from older games.)

Not seen any ads myself so it's hard to judge how intrusive they are, but as long as there aren't movies or things similar to those annoying blinking flash webage banners playing in-game it's ok with me. Loading screens are spent doing other things usually anyway, so put whatever you want there (ads would be annoying yes, but I could live with that).

Still wondering if anyone with a non-US account has seen the ads.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Quote Originally Posted by Mu5 View Post
    @Stinkleroy :
    I see the Red bull advertising in 2097 to be very different from downloadable ads that are going to pop up each time a track loads up. The last thing I want to see is different adverts for crap I dont want/need every time I want to play my favourite game. TV is bad enough, without it spilling onto video games.

I think these kind of adverts shatter the illusion of the futuristic world that Wipeout delivers so well. The 2097 Red bull adverts at the time didnt really affect the game, or the futuristic feeling that much.
    Plus, Red Bull didn't really even exist in the US when their logo first appeared in Wipeout. It wasn't until I was in Europe a while later and saw the logo on a can that I realized I had seen an advertisement.

Even with that fact aside, these ads are way different. They ruin the experience, making it feel like you're playing some crappy flash game, or watching Hulu. Instead of being able to be immersed in the game, I'm jolted out of it, and Wipeout has always been about immersion.

I don't know if it'll do any good, but since Sony was the production house, it might be worth sending them a quick note: http://us.playstation.com/Corporate/ConsumerServices If you feel like it, great. If not, then don't worry about it. No harm in trying!

(I also would gladly have paid normal game prices ($60) than have ads)

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    zerojay

zerojay says he sees them, he's also in Canada. I don't get it :s
    Are you using a Canadian PSN account zerojay?
    Yes, I sure am.

Timezone
    GMT -5

The one thing that bothers me the most is that the ads were added after I purchased the game. It feels a bit like a bait and switch almost. The ad is not that intrusive but I would certainly be concerned if another update put them on the HUD or something similar. Given that there is no recourse once its paid for its a bit disconcerning. I always assumed I would be able to assess this type of advertising through a game review before spending the money. That aside I do think WipeOut HD and Fury are excellent games. Was there anything in the EULA that hinted to allowing for this?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    PoliPino

Edit: @migratorycoconut's post

^^
    Yeah I thought Red Bull was made up when I first got XL

But I wouldn't have gotten HD at regular PS3 price, so I'll gladly trade some load screen ads for a cheaper price. Is it disappointing, sure. But it's far from a game breaker.

PSN ID
    AVENGER2197

I wouldn't find the ads all that distracting, except for that piece of crap hip-hop beat playing behind it. And the fact it shows up almost every other race loading screen. It's really disappointing that Wipeout has succumbed to American television syndrome it would seem. Like others said, if it were wipeout themed I may not mind so much. i use this game to escape from reality, not to have it forced down my throat due to a bottom line somewhere.

In the end, is it game-breaking? No. Would I want it gone because it just doesn't really belong there in my eyes? Yes.

I hope you Euro people never see anything as far as an ad in wipeout.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger2197 View Post
    I wouldn't find the ads all that distracting, except for that piece of crap hip-hop beat playing behind it.
    Gotta say, without the audio the ads don't bother me, but.... that would drive me nuts.

Without the audio it's not much different than it was before the ads were added... for me anyway. I'm not usually paying attention to the loading screen. How many times can you read how to do a BR or how to sideshift?
    But I'd definitely find audio overly intrusive... especially hip-hop
    I'm extremely curious why I can't hear the ads. Happy... but still curious.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    billychanxtr33m

for those of you that dont see the ad and are curious, here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LLTkF1IFuo
    the quality is pretty bad but you get the idea

Timezone
    GMT -5

I don't care what anyone else thinks of me - I just got done with a session online - and I'm topped off. I saw more than enough ads for my taste - anywhere - let alone on Wipeout.

Whether it be Sony or Studio Liverpool, you've bitten one of the hands that feed.

It was fun while it lasted.