Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: commercials in online loading screens?

Thumbs up Nice reaction times Sony

Wow - that was fast - I hadn't even had a chance to experience this yet and it's fixed.

Way to go Sony!!!!

PSN ID
    technicolour

Another case of 'fusion' ruining WipEout.

But seriously, this is such an insignificant deal, you should read the uproar in comments of the Joystiq article 'I was going to buy but now I wont because 10 seconds an hour completely ruins an otherwise excellent gaming experience'. Give me a break.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

Ok, played for about 3/4 hours last night, not 1 single ad. I'm in the US, so it looks like they did pull it for real.

Majorly impressive, I'm glad you guys aren't as complacent as myself about this stuff.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    futureproof2011

Quote Originally Posted by DawnFireDragoon View Post
    wow, i didn't think sony would act on fan backlash. consider me impressed

and to douse the fanboy war, the ads on xbox's main dash are fully optional, you have to go to them then slide onto them to view them...not intrussive at all. the way it should be.

ad's can be done without ruining people's gaming experience...i think this wipeout one was a tad too much for some, but hopefully the gaming world has watched this massive cock up and learnt a lesson.
    Well said regarding the 360 interface...there are definitely ads within the main interface, but they are not in the games themselves! Further, they are actually trailers for upcoming movies and they instantly load (or go away) once you move away from them.

In any case, I haven't tested it yet myself as this is the first I've heard of them pulling the ads, but if true, I'm a happy customer.

PSN ID
    Jimsin

I was just about to ask if there's a facility on the website to set up a poll, asking whether people are a) more likely, b) less likely or c) indifferent to the notion of purchasing from State Farm as a result of their adverts.

If they see Wipeout players as their target audience, then it would be a nice piece of free market research for them if they happened to pass by. And if they didn't pass by, then it would be easy to send them a link to the results.

The defenders of the adverts seem to think that they are a necessary evil because of commercial pressures - but even from a commercial viewpoint, I think that State Farm are wasting their money.

Keep imagining buying a DVD of Bladerunner and finding that the adverts on that blimp thing at the start have been replaced by life insurance! Not a huge jump from what they are doing.

But yes .... if the adverts really have been pulled (and I really do hope they have) - then I guess this idea is already redundant.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Now if they're planning to make in-game advertising instead, they should really not go the way they went with WipEout Pure and the Delta Packs. They were plastered with hige ads all over the place. Even the ships.

Discreet advertising is the way to go, if you ask me. If you can find ads just one a single time per track (and not on every track!) it's like "oh look, there was an insertNameHere-ad!" At least that's the way it was in 2097 and Fusion. It had a "That's cool"-effect rather than being in-your-face.

PSN ID
    Lord_Khan

I actually agree with that. That wouldn't be so bad, and actually would ad a sense of "realism" to the Wipeout HD world. Discreet advertising, like in Wipeout 1 with PSX game ads, and Red Bull in WOXL would be cool.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    BF2142 had billboards, and the companies that advertised on them had to make the ads look like they fit into that near-futuristic setting.
    meh

I'm glad the ads are gone. They didn't bother me anywhere near as much as some of the people in the thread though.
    Especially those who swore off playing the game.
    Honestly, if ads in a game is the worst thing you have to put up with today, then you're having a great day.

If they do bring ads back , they need to drop the idea of video and especially sound.
    I couldn't hear the commercial so I think that's why it didn't bother me too much.
    Just a picture with a logo and I don't think there would be such an issue.

And as to why State Farm would want to advertise in a game like this... I think it's pretty obvious... they do auto insurance and I'd bet big that the percentage of gamers approaching driving age is rather large.

Timezone
    GMT -8

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker X View Post
    I actually agree with that. That wouldn't be so bad, and actually would ad a sense of "realism" to the Wipeout HD world. Discreet advertising, like in Wipeout 1 with PSX game ads, and Red Bull in WOXL would be cool.
    If you wanted Wipeout to be "realistic," there would be ads all over the place. Look at Nascar.

Anyways, I heard the ads were pulled. I'm surprised Sony responded to all the backlash, especially so quickly. I can't complain about that.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

The ads were still there for me as of 7:30pm last night...I'll be checking again when I get home today. If Sony has indeed pulled them, I will be thrilled.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

As of 9:00 pm EST when I logged on, I never saw a single ad. Played for about 4 hours between online and offline.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Wow eat my words I shall lol!!

I think they could do this right with more relevant and subtle in game ads if they totally insist. Some static billboards as has been suggested but also maybe those animated screens that flash team logos like the AG-S ones that seem to be plastered all over the place. I wonder what sort of budget that team has for track side ads all I ever see is AG-S logos flying around.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhay View Post
    Hmmm, lets think about this. There is a recession on. Spending money on shitty adverts that will have up to zero effect on the gaming population because most people who play games are most likely to be children, and children will not be intrested in insurance, some sort of energy drink
    Is that a reference to the 2097 Red Bull Ads? If so not correct those adverts made me want go and find Red Bull because the entire thing was done in such a damn cool fashion. Further back then Wipeouts core audience was made up of more than children, they had booths with Wipeout 1 on them in clubs and so fourth you gotta believe those people bought 2097 too.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

It isn't a reference to Red Bull, it's just that most of the kids I've seen are obsessed with energy drinks, and with what shoddy adverts I've seen with related stuff (Coke Zero, anyone?), It'd be nowhere like the Red Bull ads from 2097.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Quote Originally Posted by Rubix42 View Post
    As of 9:00 pm EST when I logged on, I never saw a single ad. Played for about 4 hours between online and offline.
    I just played for a while and also haven't seen any. Thanks everyone!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Surprising development-- glad to see the ads gone though I hope it doesn't hurt the economic sustainability of the Wipeout franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascia View Post
    another case of 'fusion' ruining WipEout.
    Badda-badda buushhh

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TehRedScar

Only took a 24 page thread for Sony to remove the ad for now at least.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Quote Originally Posted by Frances_Penfold View Post
    Badda-badda buushhh

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DividedXZero

Well i'd love to think the ad being pulled would be a permanent solution, but i doubt it...

I hate the thougt of my gaming sessions being continuously interrupted with an ad.

i didnt even touch Fury last night, i played games with no ads in them
    Anyway, i'm extremely suprised sony responded to this, next time i hope they think things through better and at least communicate with their customers prior to doing something like this. Perhaps better market research...

Timezone
    GMT -6

Default Ad delayed loading example

I didn't play this before they removed the ads, so I missed my chance to complain. One of the videos posted here linked to this one as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX4f9zts6JM

It should not make you wait while the ad finishes playing. I'm surprised at how many people were ok with this crap.

If they think they aren't charging enough for the game to cover costs, charge more for the game. TV is not a good comparison (you aren't paying for anything specific), but movie theaters are. There should be no commercials before a movie.

They could be honest about it and offer ad-supported versions, and a more expensive version with no ads if it's truly such an issue.

With XL/2027, Red Bull must have funded development in some way, and as others have said the ads fit in with the design of the game. Racing has sponsors, so it's not like it doesn't make any sense for there to be some kind of ads, but they need to be designed appropriately - not as an apparent afterthought to be added to a loading screen that forces you to watch a whole commercial.

Does State Farm really want to insure people who play racing games like WipEout?