Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: commercials in online loading screens?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

Got home today and played WO for about an hour and a half...it's true, the ads are gone. Color me impressed (for now lol)...

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Quote Originally Posted by reploidx View Post
    I didn't play this before they removed the ads, so I missed my chance to complain. One of the videos posted here linked to this one as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX4f9zts6JM

It should not make you wait while the ad finishes playing. I'm surprised at how many people were ok with this crap.

1. If they think they aren't charging enough for the game to cover costs, charge more for the game.
    TV is not a good comparison (you aren't paying for anything specific), but movie theaters are. There should be no commercials before a movie.

They could be honest about it and offer ad-supported versions, and a more expensive version with no ads if it's truly such an issue.

With XL/2027, Red Bull must have funded development in some way, and as others have said the ads fit in with the design of the game. Racing has sponsors, so it's not like it doesn't make any sense for there to be some kind of ads, but they need to be designed appropriately - not as an apparent afterthought to be added to a loading screen that forces you to watch a whole commercial.

2. Does State Farm really want to insure people who play racing games like WipEout?
    1. I can only speculate but chances are that the low price of WOHD (and the beautiful screenshots) has introduced a lot of people to the series that otherwise would not have bought the game.

2. Your name is not Jack Thompson right? Although I agree that the add has nothing in common the theme of wipeout, there is no reason why gamers who play wipeout or any other game should be any different than non-gamers. Games do not make healthy people do weird things. Notwithstanding cosplayers.

Quote Originally Posted by PjotrStroganov View Post
    1. I can only speculate but chances are that the low price of WOHD (and the beautiful screenshots) has introduced a lot of people to the series that otherwise would not have bought the game.

2. Your name is not Jack Thompson right? Although I agree that the add has nothing in common the theme of wipeout, there is no reason why gamers who play wipeout or any other game should be any different than non-gamers. Games do not make healthy people do weird things. Notwithstanding cosplayers.

I don't know what 1. has to do with not charging enough. If they thought they were losing money, then Fury should have cost more, or the original game should have. That doesn't have anything to do with new players. The prices of downloadable games have been going up, and eventually, may just be $60 like disc-based games.

I was kidding about State Farm. I have State Farm for my insurance. Maybe I can call them and say, "You know, I play WipEout." and then see if they raise my rates.

Actually, they could probably design some futuristic car insurance ads if they tried, and if they were integrated into the game originally (not as a patch) in a sensible way, maybe there wouldn't have been this big uproar about it.

------

Did the ads also appear in regular HD, or only in Fury? Adding ads after you buy a game is not how to welcome new players.
    Last edited by Lance; 6th August 2009 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Merged three succesive posts by same member.

I`m not so surprised about the ads in loading screens - it`s the fact that apparently they would slow down the loading; that in effect you would not be allowed to race until you had watched the advert. Is this so? Incredible yet utterly predictable, I suppose.

Having sound and video does affect game immersion and is very different from a few still images which would probably be accepted to some extent.

What about people with slower internet? Could you be waiting on the start grid for other people whose ads had not loaded? The whole thing is gobsmacking yet utterly predictable from corporations who do not know how far is acceptable when promoting themselves and how far is taking the piss. If they had just tried some low bandwidth images they might`ve gotten away with it, but these people who commission and create this stuff really seem to have no grasp of reality. There is no clear line between what is acceptable and what is not, it`s a sliding scale and a grey area, but a little common sense should show anyone what quite clearly will not be accepted.

Anyway I hope the idea really is dead and they stop experimenting with Wipeout again. If they didn`t charge enough for the game, well, that`s not our fault. But I doubt this is the reason, just the outcome of some wacky marketing meetings that have little to do with the real world I would guess.

PSN ID
    PHO-KU

i've not followed this thread / topic at all (as previously not aware of the issue) but did read this yesterday from the mcv mailer:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35261/Sony-pulls-WipEout-ad

apologies if it's already been linked.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    SonicChaosX

I noticed that today there was no State Farm ads. Good thing too because Loading times did get quite a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascia View Post
    Another case of 'fusion' ruining WipEout.

But seriously, this is such an insignificant deal, you should read the uproar in comments of the Joystiq article 'I was going to buy but now I wont because 10 seconds an hour completely ruins an otherwise excellent gaming experience'. Give me a break.
    Does anyone know if the ads were synch'd up with each other in an online race? If they weren't then it would be more like 10 seconds every load screen, since even if you didn't get the ad, you'd be stuck sitting on the grid 'waiting for XXX', who did get it.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    PoliPino

^^

Did people outside the US get the ads at all? I thought I read that they didn't (maybe they only got the Fury Ad, not the State Farm one?). If so then they would have to wait for us to load up. But in my experience at least, I've always had to wait a couple seconds for most people to join an online race, even before the ads popped up.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheDukeZip

Something I had noticed in the comparison video... my Wipeout NEVER EVER loads as fast as the screen showing a 'normal' load. Now all the PS3s are supposed to have the same hardware... Have the people with the really fast loads times replaced their hard drive with a faster seek time / data throughput rate? If that's the reason those people's game loads so fast a new hard drive needs to top my wish list, mine ALWAYS loads as slow whether or not I had an ad, I noticed no difference whatsoever.

If hard drives were causing faster load times, perhaps that's how this slipped through the cracks. Maybe all testing was done on stock PS3s not thinking that some people's PS3s would be faster?

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

^ I was going to mention that. It only usually loads that fast when you're restarting something I think.

Timezone
    GMT + 9

The example used for the comparison vid was a Zone event, and they do load that quickly. It was pretty much the worst case scenario for showing the bad load times but nevertheless it proved the point and got the job done.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    SonicChaosX

Yes, I didn't mind the ads, but if they start to bring my loading times down it will only start to annoy me the more I play.

Default Advertisement.

Please read the WipeoutZone guidelines so that you can avoid breaking the rules and making Lance very upset.

This message brought to you by the Coalition for Promoting Civility and the Committee for Eliminating Useless Wasteful Unproductive Quotation [CEUWUQ]

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I hope you had more replies displayed per page than the default number. Clicking through 20 or so pages...

PSN ID
    AnErare, AnE

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    You are scaring the little ones

Ehhhhkkkkksellllent.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    SonicChaosX

lol. Note to self, recruit Lance for further experiments......

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Denalin

I think the ads cut into the game's general ambiance. I always touted Wipeout HD for being a great deal at $20 USD, for having few bugs, for having a sexy layout, tons of features, and so much more! It was, as far as a not-super-hardcore driver like myself, the ultimate Wipeout experience with nothing held back! Wipeout HD could take me out of the real world for a while and just let me experience pure racing bliss. Sure, the developers deserve money, but maybe they should have just released the game on Blu-Ray and charged a bit more. (which I would have loved, by the way)

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

I missed the whole thing - Wipeout HD with ads came and went and I never got to see it.

Eh, no hurt feelings here.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    SonicChaosX

It didn't last more than 2-3 weeks (not counting the Fury ads before it's release), so you could easily miss it. If you did experience it, it got quite frustrating.