Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: commercials in online loading screens?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

The responses are hilarious
    So because of ads you're going to stop playing Wipeout?
    I take it you don't watch TV, don't read the newspaper, don't ride the bus/public transports, don't go to sports games (baseball, hockey), etc.?
    You shouldn't even be posting in this forum, there are ads on the wipeoutzone black bar at the top!

Bye, I guess?
    xD

Really, get over it. If you're like me you're probably still chatting in the WOZone chatbox during the loadings so you don't even see the ads

Personally, I don't care if there's streaming ads... Might explain why HD and Fury are so cheap.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    tileon

Quote Originally Posted by RidgeTop View Post
    I saw this also and was like "WTF!!!!" seriously... If SL is going to do in game advertising save it for energy drinks. Its pretty stupid that they would throw State Farm Insurance ads on there.
    I sense that pony uprade not far ahead

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Feisar31

I don't like the new ad at all. It came up like 5 times in one hour for me. I understand some people don't have a problem with it--fine. Personally I find it pretty offensive, especially since it has sound.

:-

If advertising helps SL or sony make more good games like wipeout i dont give a hoot about advertising.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by Feisar31 View Post
    I don't like the new ad at all. It came up like 5 times in one hour for me. I understand some people don't have a problem with it--fine. Personally I find it pretty offensive, especially since it has sound.

:-
    sound? really? hrmff... I wonder why I didn't hear anything.

Quote Originally Posted by jasmin-jade View Post
    If advertising helps SL or sony make more good games like wipeout i dont give a hoot about advertising.
    X2

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

Havn't seen it yet.

Long as it's not in-game or in a menu, I wouldn't care.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    futureproof2011

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    The responses are hilarious
    So because of ads you're going to stop playing Wipeout?
    I take it you don't watch TV, don't read the newspaper, don't ride the bus/public transports, don't go to sports games (baseball, hockey), etc.?
    You shouldn't even be posting in this forum, there are ads on the wipeoutzone black bar at the top!

Bye, I guess?
    xD

Really, get over it. If you're like me you're probably still chatting in the WOZone chatbox during the loadings so you don't even see the ads

Personally, I don't care if there's streaming ads... Might explain why HD and Fury are so cheap.
    Lighten up. Just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean they need to get over anything. You obviously worship this game, so good for you if you want to look at ads where they used to be none. Some people don't want to. Relax. Have a

I love WOHD to death, but I honestly can't stand it when companies get greedy and do things like this. If the cost they are charging is not enough to cover the cost of development, they should have charged more. I didn't pay for this game (which is a polished version of Pure and Pulse, which I also bought) so I can look at State Farm ads. I will most certainly NEVER buy another SL, download only WO game again.

I no none of you care, but you it makes me not want to play this game online anymore. This whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth-

Quote Originally Posted by Farside View Post
    sound? really? hrmff... I wonder why I didn't hear anything.

X2
    I wonder why you didn't either, because there is most certainly sound.
    Last edited by newtype; 31st July 2009 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Didn't want to double post-

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

wtf is state farm?
    and why aren't i getting this advert! i want it i want it i want it!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    futureproof2011

An insurance company -_-

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by newtype View Post
    I wonder why you didn't either, because there is most certainly sound.
    well then... I'd probably be a bit more irritated too.

If it helps get us more dlc any sooner, though, I gotta go with it being worth it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

no ads in norway so far, i only got one about fury before i bought it. this seems more and more to affect U.S players only.

damn, i really want WO-HD Ponies lol xD

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    futureproof2011

Quote Originally Posted by Farside View Post
    well then... I'd probably be a bit more irritated too.

If it helps get us more dlc any sooner, though, I gotta go with it being worth it.
    Well, since there is no guarantee that that is the case (or if there is even more DLC slated!) I guess we'll have to agree to disagree

I just fired up the Fury Campaign...there are ads in the loading screens there as well.

So. Disgusting.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

You obviously worship this game
    I obviously worship WipEout HD?
    Let me tell you something: I could get so critical toward WipEout HD that it could get me banned from this place
    There's plenty of things I find wrong with WipEout HD, both from the gameplay aspect and from an overall "quality" aspect. Yes, the game looks great, plays great, and it's a technical achievement for hardware that is basically five years old, but it's far from perfect. Very far. And in fact, update 2.00 dumbed it down a little (Sure, they added Eliminator and Zone Battle, so the game had to run it properly, but they did some tweaks to the engine that most of you are probably oblivious to.)
    So if SL wants more money to fix their game, more power to them. I won't stop them, in fact I will encourage them. I love WipEout HD nonetheless, and if they can fix some broken stuff that's been around for waaay too long, good.

And yes, I believe I can say "get over it" when the concern here is an ad, probably less than 15 seconds long, that plays once in a while, and when you say "OH MAN **** SL IM NEVER PLAYING WIPEOUT HD AGAIN." It's a ****ing ad. Get over it... See what I mean? You probably watch TV and read some form of newspaper, there's ads in it too, and often times way more obtrusive... If you love WipEout HD like you say you do, you wouldn't stop playing it because of a loading screen (See that remote next to you? There's a button called "Mute" if it ever gets too irritating.)

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    futureproof2011

Alright, so it probably wasn't cool of me to say you worship the game...my fault. However, I don't understand why you can't just get over the fact that someone may feel differently about such things than you do.

I never said I wasn't playing WOHD again - - I said I didn't want to play online as it left a bad taste in my mouth. Now that it's in the campaign as well, it's just extremely annoying and frustrating that they aren't content with the $30 USD that we already paid for the game; they want to further support their efforts by ads.

Your TV/Newspaper argument doesn't hold water as one walks into that "agreement" with knowledge that that is how that particular industry works. When we bought WOHD, there were no ads. They put them in because they knew people, such as yourself, would play the game anyway and wouldn't care. For me *personally*, it's the principle of the matter.

It's like you buy a CD only to find out that there are advertisements in between tracks...

...you can not sit there and tell me you wouldn't care if artists suddenly started doing this.

Timezone
    GMT -5

For the record - I don't watch TV, nor listen to commercial radio, and at least for me (and reasons unknown) there have never been ads on Wipeoutzone on my PC.

It's not the ads that bother me so much as knowing what's coming next. The floodgates have opened. I would have rather paid 60 hell even 100 dollars for this game - and even pay for PSN - to not be barraged with ads in my escape-reality-to-unwind-sanctuary.

Also - I JUST found out - showing even less taste (in my opinion) - these ads also show when you're offline.

I didn't pay for a PS3 and Wipeout to watch advertisements - I paid to play games and enjoy myself and others.

If I wanted to watch advertisements - I'd turn on the TV, or listen to commercial radio.

We have different opinions - and this one I feel strongly about - you're welcome to disagree - but you're in no place to wag the finger at me for feeling otherwise.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by IH8YOU View Post
    Logging in now - if the ads are there - these may very well be my last two races.
    I will most certainly NEVER buy another SL, download only WO game again.

[...]it makes me not want to play this game online anymore.
    Hey, sorry for understanding what's actually written.
    Because of in-game advertising, most likely to support the cost of the DLC (How come it's so cheap right?) and maintaining the server, so that you, the fan, the player, can keep playing WipEout, you won't be playing it anymore. Well okay, fine.

How I see it, this is more money to make more WipEout. Twas fine back in the day with the loading only reading "Red Bull", what's different now... The sound? The sponsor? It's still a loading screen... You're gonna play WipEout HD after...

As far as "The video-game industry doesn't put ads in game"... Trackmania? Quake Live? Grand Theft Auto? Burnout? etc.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

I saw the advertisements for the first time tonight-- lots of them, for State Farm Insurance.

Personally, I find them pretty annoying and tacky, but I hate commercials pretty much across the board (TV, magazines, movie theatres), so I'm probably more sensitive than other WOZers. In any case, it's nothing that will keep me from playing WOHD.

I wouldn't blame Studio Liverpool. Realistically-- we are in the midst of a world-wide economic recessions and videogame companies are taking a substantial financial hit... PS3 is running third place in hardware sales and has a limited installed base... and WOHD is $20 USD, $30 with Fury, a bargain game running with a free online system... and WipEout in general is a niche product that doesn't pull revenue or push hardware like many other games. We are damn lucky that the franchise is being supported at all IMHO. For its part, Nintendo hasn't supported F-zero is YEARS.

Personally, I blame the folks that didn't buy Wipeout Pulse and/or complained endlessly about the cost of the DLC

Quote Originally Posted by Syntek View Post
    it's not like it's affecting game play or loading times now is it?
    I think the loading time *may* be somewhat longer with the commercial but I would have to check with a stopwatch to be certain. It doesn't profoundly change anything about the in-game experience.

Edit...
    Quote Originally Posted by IH8YOU View Post
    I would have rather paid 60 hell even 100 dollars for this game - and even pay for PSN - to not be barraged with ads in my escape-reality-to-unwind-sanctuary... I didn't pay for a PS3 and Wipeout to watch advertisements - I paid to play games and enjoy myself and others.
    I agree 100% with your sentiments-- the problem is that vast majority of gamers (even hardcore gamers) do not
    Last edited by Frances_Penfold; 31st July 2009 at 05:56 AM.

I would rather pay a monthly subscription like I do with Xbox Live than get Ads in my (favourite) game. I hope this is not the start of Ads appearing everywhere on PSN titles, the service is bad enough as it is.

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

Errr I haven't seen any ads so I'm assuming this is North America only, but so what? The history of WipEout has always been synonymous with in game advertising.... Red Bull anyone?

Don't understand why people are upset, if you don't like it just don't look at it.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

There is no ads here, it's USA only. I tried with my US account but didn't see them, so it must be IP based too.