Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: not really impressed by Fury... ?

While i wouldn't say that i was not really impressed, i would say i was a little underwhelmed.

i read a lot about the menu been sharp and amazing. it does have nice music, but its shakey and fuzzy when you select something. i guess it's the future and that sort of thing happens??? even the studio liverpool logo suffers from Killzone-menu-itis.

Tracks, (now this is personal taste here) i played talons and was just like, yep bright, transparency, neon, the usual HD stuff, then played tech de ra and amphiseum...which almost had me...there are some really nicely lit, old school wipeout esque portions to these tracks which i loved...ruined by the HD design approach portions...in my opinion. it shows it is possible to do a HD version of older Wipeouts...which is a very very exciting prospect.

New ship designs, ugly. not for me.

Having said that, it has a great new soundtrack, some new game types and is totally worth the asking price as a fan of wipeout.

to me it is a mixed bag, of
    'oh, that's kinda cool'
    'don't like that' and
    'damn, that's almost awesome'

i do wonder how a pack purely based on Wipeout as a core racer would have turned out. no new modes, just pure racing. new tracks, ships...e.t.c.

PSN ID
    PLazarou

Well I'd guess it would have turned out the same. It would have cost £4.99 instead of £7.99, and it would have had the four (+ four reverse) new tracks, and some new ship designs/skins. And nothing else. No new menu, no new music, no new modes, no new campaign.

Timezone
    GMT -6

and I guarantee there'd have been a thread within a week entitled "Underwhelmed with the new track pack??" which would have contained endless posts (possibly from some of the same people in this thread) complaining about the "lack of anything more than just some tracks and a few new ships."

Last edited by Lance; 9th August 2009 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Useless quote removed. Please read the WZ guidelines.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

xD True dat is.

PSN ID
    PLazarou

Exactly!

yeah, i would agree.

but i think it's a good thing, you get a wide range of opinions. rather than extreme love / extreme hate.

Also, for the most part Studio Liverpool probably aren't too fussed on some views of their product and people complaining about 'their vision' of wipeout, but also some of it has to help them with what people like / dislike, whats popular / whats not.

there is some good here, and would have been, if like you guys suggest, there was a different selection of content and different threads as a result.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

I don't think that there's a lot to complain about. I can see where the OP is coming from though. Unimpressed probably isn't the correct term but it is different.

After spending more time on it I'm coming around to some of the newer aspects. But from a purist standpoint it maybe different enough to cause people to question the direction of the series.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Quote Originally Posted by DawnFireDragoon View Post
    […] and was just like, yep bright, transparency, neon, the usual HD stuff, then played tech de ra and amphiseum...which almost had me...there are some really nicely lit, old school wipeout esque portions to these tracks which i loved...ruined by the HD design approach portions...in my opinion.[…]
    Yep, signed. Transparency and neon are nice, especially on high definition, but they should be used sparingly to keep the impact of these effects.

PSN ID
    Constrictor4U

I am impressed!

Let's have a look at the real costs for me: I'm down to ~0.10(298122...) EUR / 1 hour gameplay (incl. Fury Update) w/o PS3 cost and power included.

That's a bargain I think I'd never invested that 'less' for so much fun. And to keep the bashing alife: I even deducted Detonator and Zonebattle time from the calculation - 'cause that wasn't fun

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Wipeout HD is for me the best PSN game ever. Fury is the best PSN dlc. Even if they are a little overpriced in euro compared to dollars, they still are great value for money.

Fury itself is great. Just for Eliminator is worth the buying. The 4 new tracks are cool, I like the new ships design with their improved specs. Still, it is the damn hardest game to make trophies for. I'm at 52%, having few Fury bronzes as well. But all together it's a technical masterpiece. Never has connection issues, for once. And we all know about the graphics.

PSN ID
    Lightlord

Its pretty good except the piranha looks fat and ugly limited tracks for normal race and the game still crashes onlime, grr sort that out studio liverpool lol
    Oh well you can't get everything you wish for maybe in the next patch eh guys?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    SonicChaosX

I still encounter crashing every once in awhile as well. That's also why patches were invented so hopefully it'll get fixed.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

i do wonder how a pack purely based on Wipeout as a core racer would have turned out. no new modes, just pure racing. new tracks, ships...e.t.c.
    modes are important yes, but sincerelly i have prefered one mode less, and two more tracks instead...

Tracks, (now this is personal taste here) i played talons and was just like, yep bright, transparency, neon, the usual HD stuff, then played tech de ra and amphiseum...which almost had me...there are some really nicely lit, old school wipeout esque portions to these tracks which i loved...ruined by the HD design approach portions...in my opinion. it shows it is possible to do a HD version of older Wipeouts...which is a very very exciting prospect.
    good point here, i remenber someone from SL who was talking about the new tracks were choosen for variety aspect umm...
    anyway i haven't nothing to rant since 3 out of 4 tracks introduced in fury are my favourites, and the new HD version of talon's isn't bad afterall
    and...
    tech de ra
    the amphiseum

sure, a blue ridge and a vertica would have helped such variety but...( a " stay true to the original version " of blue ridge, i have a bad feeling to expect me a future version of blue ridge with all the forest trees rid out and replaced with neons, robots,glass shapes, monorails and crazy traffic )

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

I was racing online last night and raced only one new track. Seems like most of the rooms were HD tracks. Played Eliminator a few times but every time it was on an HD track. There just wasn't anyone hosting any of the Fury tracks. Hmmmm

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Even the ELITE pilots are staying away from the new tracks.

Online has changed,eliminator has taken momentary charge ,but only at low speed.

It is SO dangerous for Phantom pilots to get used to the new craft on the new tracks.

Reason: Wipeout World Cup.

The rules are old craft old HD craft.

Nobody in their right mind want's to suddenly change back,it's practice,practice,practice.

Get it right and keep it solid

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

Looks like not only the Elite players are staying away.... it's everyone. Plenty of Fury ship though. It's kind of a shame. I can't say I enjoy the Fury tracks as well as the HD ones but there's some good racing to be had. I've never played any of the older Wipeout franchise so they're all new to me. I do think they've gone a bit overboard with the chicanes. At least for me I can't get into a rhythm. They just don't flow like the HD tracks.

fury tracks are cool.nothing wrong with them..just as good as hd tracks

only reason they are not played as much as hd tracks is because when you are hosting like i do with 8 players more often than not there is a player who hasnt got fury and it will kick them out of the game if you select a fury track.so i pick a hd track cos im a nice person. thats it.plus the fact many players are not good enough on the fury tracks to compete like me. but i will soon be playing them in my games..

i have never seen more eliminator than racing when i go online but there are so many regions and times of day. i cant really say for sure..SL will know for sure.
    The good thing with eliminator is anyone can win, if they get a good run of luck, with racing though its a lot harder to do that and generally the best player wins mostly.

It is SO dangerous for Phantom pilots to get used to the new craft on the new tracks.
    they are playing the new tracks. check the leaderboards they have all the records. I was playing online with a bunch of them on saturday and they were reallllyyyyy fast..
    Last edited by Aeroracer; 17th August 2009 at 05:11 PM.

PSN ID
    silverfoxy

When I go online all I'm confronted with is Eliminator. When I've been on between 50-75% of all games are these. Its very rare as well that I come across a Zone battle. These just don't seem to have caught on that much.

I'm slowly getting my head around the new tracks on rapier but fear most will be a bit too technical at phantom. I'm just as happy on the HD tracks though to be honest.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

WipEout does not consist of Anoobpha Pass only.
    Tough luck, if I'm ever hosting (hahaha good luck with the online code in the state it's currently in) you'll find plenty of Sebenco, Sol 2, Chengou, Metropia, Tech de Ra, Talons Junction or Amphiseum. But no Anoobpha Pass or Moa Therma. Ever.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    PoliPino

I agree with crawdad on the Fury tracks, mostly. Tech De Ra and Amphesium are actually pretty fun tracks though, and Modesto Heights makes for a pretty good race. Talon's Junction is the only track I can say a truly dislike. Really skinny, tight turns, and the semi-transparent track = frustration
    But they don't have the same 'flow' as the HD tracks. Maybe I'll eventually get used to them though. I kind of thought the same way about Chenghou and Sebenco when I first got the game, but I like those tracks now.

As for the new modes, eliminator is really the only one I really like playing. I don't like Detonator at all (I cringe at needing to play the mode in Fury campaign), and Zone battle isn't nearly as fun as single race, IMO.

The new ship designs took a bit to get used to, but now I like the look of them. The HD ships look almost plain in comparison now. The increased stats level the field pretty well too. Icaras isn't the runaway it used to be.

BTW, does anyone know for sure if Eliminations in online Eliminator events count toward the AG Assassin trophy? That was a pretty tough trophy to get when it all had to be done in regular racing. Now you could get that many kills in a couple days...