Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: not really impressed by Fury... ?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I played FURY solidly for the first few days,but now I fire it up have a few laps and,I hate to say it,turn it off again.

I think it might be some subconscious reaction to the new black FURY GUI,maybe if I return it to the HD one I might feel differently about it,the new one tends to make me feel in a som'bre mood and not wanting to participate.
    What with Detonator [another dark background] Zone battle[ Dark again for a lot of it]New Zone tracks [You guessed it,Dark again],75% of the DLC doesn't really feel like a wipeout game as we would of normally/historically have described it.

Still,it's great bang for your bucks

One thing I defiantly don't like is the light blue speed pads on the reflective race track [Talons],very hard to make out,they needed more contrast.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 30th July 2009 at 01:09 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -6

I just don't see how it's possible for someone not to be impressed by Fury. Even if a person doesn't find themselves that interested in the new modes....so what? The modes are still there and maybe the interest will grow over time. It's like not being impressed by a Ferrari becuase you don't happen to like leather upholstery. I also take issue with the notion that "it's not about the price." I think price matters and in the context of price, Fury represents a huge bargain for a fan of the original game. Afaic it would have been well worth the $9.99 even if it was only a package of four add-on tracks.

I guess what bugs me about a thread like this is the fact that some people seem incapable of stepping outside the box of their own personal desires and recognizing a quality product even though it may not be exactly what they would have wanted in their dreams.

But yeah, everyone is entitled to express their perspective on a forum like this and I don't really have any issue with that. By the same token though, we're entitled to express a contrary opinion.

PSN ID
    Jimsin

I agree that everybody is free to express their opinion and be honest - negative or otherwise.

I also feel that one should be free to disagree with that negative opinion. I'm not saying that I'm right and he's wrong - I'm just trying to explain why I disagree so strongly, and am asking what other PS3 DLCs have been more impressive?

Being unimpressed has no relevance unless someone has something else that they actually were impressed by.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

My reaction to FURY is one of ambivalence atm.

While indeed FURY's overall content is impressive as a whole [I never suggested otherwise],especially considering the price,It's just the way FURY makes me "Feel" in comparison to HD or previous installments of wipeout.

I've been a long term fan of wipeout [and remain so] and having been playing it for close to 15 years,so have many other forum members here.
    I've played every version of the game except the N64 & PC versions.

There are plenty of threads in the HD section containing posts from people who are absolutely in love with FURY,I don't see why so much umbrage is being show to those who don't feel the same way.

This thread seems very similar to how some of the wipeout community felt about FUSION to some extent ,but that was a full game not added content,so opinions were slightly more polarized and voiced as such.

FURY doesn't need defending,it just needs an understanding from those who love it that not all others feel the same way,and it's not as if anybody has said they hate it.

Timezone
    GMT -5

To be honest - Fury isn't my ball of wax. New tracks have great shadowing - but they feel too synthetic, or dead. Hard to explain - but race on the 4 new tracks - then go to Vineta K - it just seems more "alive".

I welcome change and new material - but I'm really iffy on the new ships / stats, and bummed about the broken-again side shifting - especially after it was just working again before 2.0 dropped.

So YES, SL keep cranking - I do appreciate your hard work, and I WILL spend my $ on anything new - but I'm already back to the old ships and original tracks after Fury.

Who knows - maybe I'll come around? Its still only been a week or so...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    BlochNWhitey

I honestly think Fury is fantastic, I love the new ship stats, it gives me a good chance to beat my old times and such. The new tracks have a fantastic flow to them, BRs work fantastic. If there's anything I don't like it's that the AI seems to LOVE getting in the way tons more now (But I have a good round of eliminator to take out the anger with). As well as zone battle.. I just don't like people getting in the way to be honest, my idea of zone is: Throw on the classical music and bring on the speed!

Edit: I just wanted to add that I really don't enjoy piloting on Amphiseum at all, both ways. There's just nothing exciting about going 'round that track..
    Last edited by BlochNWhitey; 30th July 2009 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Amphiseum

PSN ID
    krioto

No complaints - loving it!

Really expands the wipeout universe. Keep it up

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Impressed I am for sure! It is because of all the new content, it is so much. There is only 1 thing that really bugs me:

It is the way campaign mode works. Eventhough the DLC is called FURY and the most important thing is weapons based. I really don't like the way how everything gets unlocked. You have to play Detonator mode and some Eliminator and Zone battle to get everything unlocked.

These are new modes and they are on top what Wipeout is for me! I think all new game modes are a welcome edition to the series, however I think that campaign mode should always be true to the basics; SR, TT, SL and Tournaments to get through campaign mode and unlock everything without having to play the other modes which are included in campaign anyway.

So if you just really like the other game modes you are also able to get everything unlocked by just playing; Zone, Zone battle, Eliminator and Detonator mode. Or a mix of all modes if you like.

Because of this I quit campaign mode and started with Speed Lap on the new tracks to train for online battles.

Timezone
    GMT -8

Quote Originally Posted by Z_Zoquis View Post
    I don't know what it takes to impress some of you guys. Its a great dlc pack...what more do you want?

Anyway, I love it...
    The Fury pack could give free blowjobs while you're playing it and some people would complain about the technique of the blowjob. Gamers are some of the most nitpicky and whiny people ever. You shouldn't be surprised that some people will complain about Fury.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

Best Analogy EVER

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Sorry Eric , i have nothing to complain about Fury : speed sensation is definitely there ( more than HD), new tracks are awesome ( eventhough i was not super excited when i heard about their names but their flow is absolutely fantastic, same for graphics and what about the new modes , fully playable on the other previous tracks and so much entertainment ( detonator WOW ! )

BIG thumbs UP for SL

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

@ Arnaud; "but their flow is absolutely fantastic";

Spot on there, Pulse tracks rulz. I know you like Modesto Heights, but im too much of a fan of that one, i would of rather had Blue Ridge instead of Modesto Heights in the Fury DLC. But The Amphusieum and Tech De Ra, a just perfect.

PSN ID
    alteregorr

Hi All.

I like Fury dlc.

I see two style of wipe life now....the old one, race, velocity and tip, trick for more velocity and good timing, and the new one with a lot more war and weapons.

between these game styles I prefer the old one, but the new is funny for sure.

in the weaponed side I don't love detonator because it remembers me a lot the old 'space invaders' in 3D acid....ah ah ah
    I don't love the games with heavy weapon inside

...but Fury it's the perfect completation for HD.

read you soon
    cdrom

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I think Mad Ice hit the nail on the head.

To we long term Zoners wipeout has always been,first and foremost about racing.

FURY just seems a diluted version of a wipeout game to those who cherish fast times and perfect laps.

I'm not sure if SL are trying to garner new wipeout players with the different modes [fractured thinking perhaps,as it is an ADD ON,not a new game]

If you don't own the original what would tempt you to by it & the add on?
    Zone Battle & Detonator....I don't think so.

If it was promoted as a NEW STAND ALONE VERSION of wipeout,then maybe you would get more bites,but it isn't, so you can't.

Look at the publicity FURY has got,even at Official PS sites have very little if anything about it.

Are any other forums a buzz about this title apart from this one?,please link me to one I would love to see it.

Wipeout has a CORE following,SL knows it,a lot of SL staff are forum members.

Fair enough they have listened to what people have wanted in a wipeout game,and with FURY they have delivered the vast majority of that.
    NO CONTEST.I agree

Problem is that the "SOUL", the thing that makes you want to race again and again,challenge yourself before others.
    It isn't quite there.
    It like having a girlfriend/boyfriend that you suddenly just don't really want to spend that much time with any more,your drifting apart.

HD had it,FURY doesn't.

The online boards are now a distraction to those who want to RACE.

Having somebody host a few races and then suddenly turn it into an Eliminator or Zone Battle is not on.

I'll JOIN a race like that at MY choosing,not at the whim of somebody else that suddenly,and without warning want's to change it.

False advertising it could be equaled to.

I don't dislike FURY.
    It's just can't love it,it's like my girlfriend went and got her face tattooed

PSN ID
    JamboGT

Ok I see where you are coming from, but at the end of the day you don't need to play the other modes. The raceing is still there.

I think its great they have given us further options and the darker style reminds me of 2097 a bit.

I still need to learn the tracks properly but what is there I really enjoy.

However it is all opinion and everyone is free to theirs.

I love Fury more than the original HD. To me it feels more exciting to play, like Asa described, in normal race modes. Normal racing has been expanded in interest with new tracks and interesting ship options. New game modes pull in new players and offer fun we can take or leave. It`s all great fun to play, for me, and great value and I don`t want to analyze it any more than that really as we are just in the area of personal opinion and preference here

I do agree with Blackwiggle that there really really needs to be a "get out" option after options are changed online. This is really important. If you join a flash eliminator and end up doing Target 50 Zone Battle because your host sucks it`s kind of rubbish. Not SL`s fault that there are inconsiderate hosts out there, but I think it needs dealing with especially now there is so much choice of game modes. The other thing that needs addressing now is the broken leaderboards. It`s a blot on what has become a terrific game package.

PSN ID
    Jimsin

I'd just want to second what Jambo says - I'm also MUCH more keen on the racing aspect than the combat aspect ... but the racing is still there, with extra tracks - and if detonator/eliminator doesn't appeal to me, then I don't have to play them.

Perhaps some of the negativity is because a lot of the more dedicated players here feel the need to get a gold medal for every event - so feel pushed into doing things they don't enjoy so much?

I found Zone Battle and Eliminator a bit frustrating at first - but that's because I couldn't properly get my head round them. After getting advice on the boards I'm finding them relatively easy now though - and can enjoy playing through them in the campaign as a bit of a diversion to the usual modes. I still can't figure out Detonator, but am looking at it as a future challenge for when I get tired of the other modes.

Blackwiggle - I couldn't really relate to what you were saying about not enjoying Fury so much because of the darker look to the menus - the old HD menu is still available (I think I prefer it too, but again it's nice to have a choice) - so if you just go back to the HD menus, then it's like your girlfriend getting instant corrective surgery on her facial tattoos! ............ I do think you have a very valid point about the online side though - if you're not into eliminator / zone battle, then I would agree that it would be offputting for somebody else to switch the mode and force you into it. I know you could just leave the game - but you don't really want to have to keep chopping and changing. Perhaps a future patch request could be that you can only go to eliminator / zone battle by hosting a new race?

I'm not taking umbrage to the negative comments, I'm just trying to understand them - and by extending the debate, I am indeed grasping it better. There are some people who just don't get impressed with anything ... it's only by explaining the reason for being unimpressed that it says something about Fury and not just about yourself.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I turned the Fury GUI back to HD in control options......It's still black...go figure.

It's a mood thing,some people like to race with heavy metal music,I don't mind it as such,some I actually enjoy,but I would rather have the option of changing the mood.
    The BLACK default FURY GUI was initially stunning,the novelty wore off very quickly.

Must be a generation thing.

I NEED something UPLIFTING,VISUALLY,Black is not uplifting IMHO.

All black has is IMPACT....which wares off quickly after repeated viewings .

I wouldn't mind it so much if I didn't have to constantly have to return to it.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 30th July 2009 at 12:02 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Between you and me, BW, i hate heavy metal music (but i ate Pony burger , nvm another story ) can't stand thinking to listen to other genre than 'progressive trance happy music' under Wipeout, actually that gives me the light to the darkness of my fav Wipeout : 2097/XL and in extenso to the new Fury tracks.

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

I love Fury, It's a Dark, dirty, gritty Explosive turn from the Bright, clean crisp HD. Theres nothing that revolutionary about fury over then normal HD, but it just gives you so much more to do. I loves Fury. I changed all my Custom music to reflect, going from Chill out / Dance to Hardcore / Speed rave.

Fury Rules.