Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there "unfair" racing strategies??

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Think this article fits this thread:Playing to win. Anyone serious about any game should read it.
    generally most players who quote this (generally elite players from SF and mortal kombat scene) live by this till they start getting beat by what they call a scrub then they also become scrubs by making counter excuses or simply saying i lost cos your a scrub, and basically become hypocriticle.

David sirlin in my opinion has made games that are supposed to be fun into serious nasty experiences in many cases for the majority of gamers.His phillosphies has caused much negativity and many arguments and aggression both on the games and on forums.
    Many of these so called scrubs and noobs are little children just trying to have fun and play a game.

From my experiences of other games not including wipeout players who follow this david sirlin attitude, spend more time ripping the game apart looking for glitches and broken moves to give them an advantage so they can win games they were not meant to win, spoil other's enjoyment and rant and rave at anyone who objects calling them a scrub and saying it ok cos it's play to win attitude as stated by david sirlin.

hopefully wipeout will never get to this sorry state i have seen on other games and will stay full of wonderful nice very skilled players who are positive and kind to players not as skilled as themselves as it is now.

I dont follow his philosphies because

If he were a football manager he would promote diving on the pitch and spitting on oppossing star players to provoke a response in order to get them sent off (zidane was a victim of this in last world cup)

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

Jasmin, while I completely agree that there are certain people who do what you have described, that is not the experience of a majority of the fighting game community. Most of the elite players in the fighting game community show the same respect to their opponents as is done in wipeout. Yes, they search for the safest, most effective attacks and practice them to perfection. But watch them play a match, there are several on youtube. Just search daigo and watch a couple of SFIV matches.

They are on a whole other level, and would never be beat by a scrub. Ever. At it's most simple form, a fighting game is just a fledged out mind game of paper rock and scissors. Only you have all sizes of scissors, a multitude of pieces of paper, and a couple of rocks.

sorry they don't, most of them are how i say based on my experiences in
    DOA4 .
    MKA
    MKD
    MKDC
    SF4
    The people you speak of are not the majority if they were things would be better.
    I will add that Japan is an exception the elite community are as you describe.

I was in the fighting community for 5 years and was a high level competitor and i was a member of the sites and have seen what happens with my own eyes.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    JesterStoeck

I only consider 2 racing strategies unfair (and even then only unfair when the AI does it). The first is using the missile on someone making the jump on Amphesium Reverse (thereby causing you to potentially land off the track and respawn back at the top).

The second is "rumphumping". That is when the AI is behind you and while trying to race its preset racing line it rams into the back of your ship and makes steering 10X as difficult as it would be normally.

Other than that I think most strategies are perfectly valid. I think dropping back with a weapon is okay, as well as ramming into someone on a turn. After all, both of these things require some risk on the part of the person doing it so it seems pretty fair.

hahaha "RUMPHUMPING"..i like that word.. you now give it new meaning

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

LOL

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

You Had a problem with DOA4? man, I loved that game, Okay I lied I love Ayane not the game so much.

Man When I went online I just fought so I didnt see Ayane get kicked in the face. 5 Hit Helicopter Kick Combo FTW!

Game was fine, it was the degenerate trash that played the game that screamed hystericaly down the mic at you, throwing abuse at you if you won or lost or basically did anything.
    There were some ok players just too many sub humans for my liking.Never really get this on this game.

back to topic on wipeout unfair stategies.

Cant really see anything thats unfair or unacceptable in this game.

Slow down and shoot is just a stategy with a risk but ok
    Corner ramming is about being aware of where your opponents are
    shunting opponents from rear into wall/off the track with a boost is nothing worst than a poor mans rocket.
    Blocking is ok

just strategies nothing more

PSN ID
    Lightlord

I'd have to say I'm amazed at the amount of people i read about begrudging the AI considering that there is a degree of waypoint that they follow and the AI are still too easy even on elite, tbh the only other frustration i have is the "perfect" weapon combo someone is behind you they hit with a homing missile fair enough and literally straight after they get a weapon pad which will either give them rockets which they blast into you at point blank range which takes forever to recover from or a bomb with immediate detonation the moment they go in front while your still stunned from the homing missle! I wish i could say it was luck but why is it whenever I'm second that never happens for me lol?!!!

PSN ID
    DDark101

Talking

reading some of the names you guys/girls give these strategies is priceless
    ive only just started to hate people who do ramming cos i dont have rockets to teach them a lesson but lately i went on anulpha pass shortcut and the person was sideshifting all the way up i thought they were a tard until they smacked me off, i really didnt see it coming what do you call the sideshifting thing

ummm... 'OffSmacking'!

PSN ID
    allstyles

the play to win mindset, is good at competitive level.

If you just want to play for fun, forget that & just play for fun.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

A few of us used to do this in the old days of Wipeout Pure on Xlink Kai, the old slow down then rocket his ass approach, also the devious bombs plus turning around to fire stuff backwards. Now then, who is calling me a coward? And Asayyeah, and Lunar and Supersocks and....