Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there "unfair" racing strategies??

PSN ID
    Reezellthia

@Motorsagmannen: Thats awesome

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Only problem I have with this strategy is that whenever I try it I overbrake and get to watch the opponent disappear into the distance :/
    That can be prevented by simply letting off the throttle a bit instead of actually braking, which is what I do and it works perfectly well.

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

Whilst I have nothing against this, I can understand how it might come accross to someone who hasn't thought of the tactical advantages before.

I remember when I first started playing with the wz crew, Chaos80 (yeah you! ) used to slow down to shoot me all the time...at first I took it the wrong way, thought it was down to arrogance rather than strategy. Of course I had it totally wrong, and realised that soon enough. Although he still does love to mine me in the face, it's all in good fun now

PSN ID
    RobCoxy

It's a perfectly alright strategy and i would not moan about it and send 'unnecessary messages'. But, it would annoy the F U C K out of me lol .

Still, WipEout's all about winning and i would do exactly the same to a similar skilled pilot closely tailing me in second . Even though, i'm usually too concentrated on keeping up the pace to even think about braking and risking it lol.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Shindubhe

one of the things i love about HD and all other WO games is that the AI is as brutal to you as they are the other AI , it teaches you to race agressively to get the win, so imo anything goes, its not like this is SF4 with kens spamming uppercuts. being an ass wont garantee a win.

sometimes i get a little annoyed when it seems like people are ramming me for the hell of it but i always give the benefit of the doubt as normally that wont stop me XD.

i think its funny when someone thinks your picking on them when your not and they spend the rest of the race/s trying to take you out, in that circumstance i just put them in there place while racing at full throttle

Quote Originally Posted by TheDukeZip View Post
    I think that any strategy allowed by the rules is fair game. This includes your strategy as well as bombing/mining when you're in first place. After all, they are allowed to quake/missile/etc you, why can't you bomb them?
    Wait, are you telling me some people complain when the lead drops mines? God damn some people are lame.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheDukeZip

It happened once, but I just ignored them.

PSN ID
    technetic

Its not unfair at all, when i'm racing I always keep a missile or quake just incase anyone takes over me. Its their fault, they can see you have that weapon from looking at the HUD, so if they wanna' pass they should get a shield.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

You know what, that's EXACTLY what i had in mind when i sandbagged the guy... I kept my missile in the lead, because he was steady on my tail, he could easily get to me and shoot me down, and i knew failure or piloting mistakes were out of the question for me.

All in all, WipEout is COMBAT RACING. Unless you turn weapons off, that's what it is. Its not a ****ing charity fund raise. Its do whatever you have to to win, maybe it be sandbagging or droping mines and bombs when you're leading. Its ruthless and unforgiving. And that's what's actually so great about WipEout. So better get ready to kiss concrete if you're not adequately prepared

PSN ID
    Andybob35/ZoNeS

Quote Originally Posted by Eloï View Post
    Well, personnaly I don't like that, but it's ok. It's like using a bomb/mines in a 2 players race when you're just ahead of him . It's ok, it's the game, but well it kills the fun a little I think. In your example I prefer competitivity: rather, keep the missile, and try to take every weapon pad to not let my opponent have a chance to get me. My view I think it's infinitely more frustrating (Andybob35, aka "the sponge", is master to that! )
    I cant claim credit to that.. back in September/November 2008 Evolite & ZX4897 where using that all the time on me (i got wise to their ways!) but usually its a case of absorbing to refill my shield for barrel rolling, and to keep the usual 'household names' at bay (once again you know who are CHAOS80/TCK)

Quote Originally Posted by yeldar2097 View Post
    take what Elois-13 says with a pinch of salt, it's VERY rare that the person behind will be fast enough to get within shooting range of him
    Weird hearing that from you as im currently sucking at Fury tracks but will happy to show the 'sponge' technique on any of the original 16

Back to subject: TCK is guilty in my eyes for that 'wait, lock, fire, runnnnnnnnnnnn away!' tactic, as mentioned before, if you got a turbo/shield your fine-ish. There are plenty of cheeky/annoyin/rage-quiting techniques out there.. so

Stay safe, stay FAST

PSN ID
    Lightlord

The weapons strategy doesn't bother me the only thing i admit i absolutely hat are rammers who just grind the crap out of your shields or deliberately smack into you on a turn to push you over the side of a track and be reset or shoved into the side which makes you stop practically dead.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    PEPEDA

suffered that million of times...if you want to see me really angry just do it to me....sorry...but thats the true

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

I got called a cheeky sod a couple of times (for lols tho, not serious) for droping back to second with a quake and blasting them, but it's all good fun.

Then theres the pickup hoarder, but thats just another tatic.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

I like knowing someone has a quake, then passing them, when they shoot the quake I use my saved shield, I can just hear them go "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-" from my house.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

yeah shield vs quake is win. hehe saved alot of races that has.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

Quote Originally Posted by Lightlord View Post
    ...or deliberately smack into you on a turn to push you over the side of a track and be reset or shoved into the side which makes you stop practically dead.
    How do you tell it's intentional?

On some corners it usually is pretty much unavoidable, like the first lap on Chengou (F), when everybody arrives at the sharp lefthander at the same time. You better be on the inside of that turn...

IMHO a block pass is a valid, albeit a bit rough, tactic. It certainly isn't unfair - I mean, you can just outrun the b*stard.

(yes, yes, I get pretty worked up when it happens to me, too )

Think this article fits this thread:Playing to win. Anyone serious about any game should read it.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

What I got from that is,

People care that I crush noobs.

I like this.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by andybob35 View Post
    Weird hearing that from you as im currently sucking at Fury tracks but will happy to show the 'sponge' technique on any of the original 16
    yah me too. I must admit sponging works a treat when you don't know the track, you get all sorts of useful stuff. I've started doing it because: yeldar on fury tracks = arse
    getting there...

is it just me that picks up a weapon but the lag doesn't show it til i've been hit by a quake and then it turns out to be a shield? It's gotta be more than a coincidence

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    LurifaxFlux

IMO the only unfair strategy, which isn't really a racing strategy anyway, is changing venue/settings and start the race immediately without letting any of the opponents change ship if they wish to :-