Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there "unfair" racing strategies??

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Default Is there "unfair" racing strategies??

Is there some moves that, please God help me, are all of a sudden labeled "unfair" or "cowardly" while im racing someone?

Since when quickly applying airbrakes to let the leader pass me and shot him/her with a missile is supposed to be "coward"?!? I dunno, but as far as i know, please God help me, i thought the goal in WipEout, since 1995, is WINNING.

Put yourselves in this situation. You're leading and the guy in 2nd is tailing you like a mad dog. You got a missile (because as everybody knows, we always grab shooting weapons when in pole ) and you ask yourself "What can i do to assure myself victory? How about i let him pass and shoot his/her sorry ass up? Considering the player doesn't have a Shield on, you easily wreck him/her off and there you go celebrate. How ironic xD

As you all expect, yes im describing an immediate experience i went through minutes ago against some lame**** bad player calling me, as mentioned eariler, a coward. I replied that i wouldn't let him pass me just for fun because he has a nice butt, that i had this missile and i planned to shoot the mofo down and i worked, end of story. I ended with a nice WELCOME TO WIPEOUT, thats the name of the game! ****ing tool... I'm glad to add that i pulled the same move twice, just to piss him off more

Is my reasoning's right or should i quit playing the game cuz im a meanie meanie meanie boy and its bad to shoot people down in a game which is conceived on this purpose?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    handmade_lion

Default ...

Sounds to me you got yourself a stupid chat/message I love those. And no, it's not cowardly. It makes him look stupid for saying such a thing. Especially when HUD hints are on and he can see you clearly have missiles.

Freeze Frame.

Okay, the guy has missiles.

And he's letting me pass? Awesome!

Put 2+2 together here. That's not a bad strategy OR an uncommon one. Maybe he'll remember to shield next time.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Exactly what i thought. And i do remember Weapon Hints where on, making the situation even more hilarious

I couldn't care less in the first times he messaged me... But he just kept taunting and in the same way revealing his pathetic frustration to meet someone his level. Top of that he won all tourneys he made up tonite, and finds a way to whine about me anyway. I was amazed how stupid he was. Far more players better than him pulled out the same move on me and i never went back on them and insult people... Well, there maybe bad losers, but oh my, there's also bad winners

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

"Sandbagging" is an INTENDED strategy in a lot of racing games, e.g., Mario Kart, where skilled players will slow their mini-turbos to drop to second place to get the better item pick-up.

I sure as hell wouldn't fault anybody for slowing down to use an item in Wipeout-- it's an intended part of the game! If you pass somebody after flying over a weapons pad, you better look out

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

You should be ashamed of yourself, using a perfectly legitamate Strategy ike that!

SHame on you!!

Yeah I`m also disgusted with you Kyonshi. If we all start playing to win what will happen then? Really the guy is just a sore loser. It makes people irrational. Try doing the same thing on Sol2 open section so that he takes the long drop and see if you can make his head explode.

It`s a bit naughty in some ways, but satisfying to pull this off. Of course it`s legitimate - we have weapons - but I`m not sure it`s the best way to win as letting people go infront can backfire on you if they have the right pickup.

Only problem I have with this strategy is that whenever I try it I overbrake and get to watch the opponent disappear into the distance :/

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Greenix tried that with me once. He missed. I won

PSN ID
    Vic_Viper_1985

Echoing what others have already said, there's nothing wrong with doing that. It comes with it's own risks and it's always possible for it to backfire.

While not unfair or anything I have seen (and placed) some particulalry devious bombs/mines which have a high probability of sending people off the track.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

well personally i try as much as possible not to use weapons (far more satisfying when you win ) but i'd have NO PROBLEM if someone did that to me.
    People that i've lapped on the other hand..... grrrrrrrrr

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Elois-13

Well, personnaly I don't like that, but it's ok. It's like using a bomb/mines in a 2 players race when you're just ahead of him . It's ok, it's the game, but well it kills the fun a little I think. In your example I prefer competitivity: rather, keep the missile, and try to take every weapon pad to not let my opponent have a chance to get me. My view I think it's infinitely more frustrating (Andybob35, aka "the sponge", is master to that! ).

But if you slow down, and the guy behind slows down too, don't you think it will result in a dead stop? not very good if the third guy is not too far

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Kyonshi

Quote Originally Posted by As Heaven Is Wide View Post
    Echoing what others have already said, there's nothing wrong with doing that. It comes with it's own risks and it's always possible for it to backfire.

While not unfair or anything I have seen (and placed) some particulalry devious bombs/mines which have a high probability of sending people off the track.
    Like i said to Handmadelion, the 2nd time i did it to him was on the over-pass on Anulpha, and of course he fell down Then he replied "You had to do it again, didnt ya?" Well YES dear

Quote Originally Posted by Eloï View Post
    Well, personnaly I don't like that, but it's ok. It's like using a bomb/mines in a 2 players race when you're just ahead of him . It's ok, it's the game, but well it kills the fun a little I think. In your example I prefer competitivity: rather, keep the missile, and try to take every weapon pad to not let my opponent have a chance to get me. My view I think it's infinitely more frustrating (Andybob35, aka "the sponge", is master to that! ).

But if you slow down, and the guy behind slows down too, don't you think it will result in a dead stop? not very good if the third guy is not too far
    Usually since the second guy is so eager to win, he will do anything and take any opportunities to pass/shoot you. That's what happened with him. He's a good pilot, i wont deny that, but i saw how he craved the victory. He just took the bait... and i wave goodbye at him Maybe if there's a very good veteran pilot who saw that everything can happen on a racetrack, he will realize my strategy and try to mess me up in return.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

lol this reminds me of a race i had with IH8YOU shortly before fury. we raced on anulpha rev, and he passed me with a turbo on the 3x speedpad straight. i quaked him. but the start end straight. he grinded down to a complete halt. i slammed into him. and there we stood for a couple of seconds. first i thought WTF. but then i noticed he had a quake, and realised he wouldnt move untill i passed him lol. so i took a bite of the quake and the best part is that we still came first and second lol ( he won of course, after putting me down with the quake ). its one the funniest races i ever had.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    billychanxtr33m

all is fair in love and wipeout

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

take what Elois-13 says with a pinch of salt, it's VERY rare that the person behind will be fast enough to get within shooting range of him

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    PoliPino

I have no problem with any winning strategy. A few people have done exactly that to me a few times. I actually got a kick out of it. There's the momentary thrill of 'Whoo!, I'm gonna pass him!' then 'ROCKET' and 'oh crap'. Just try again next race.

Race fast, race hard. That is Wipeout.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

Seems simple to me, if the game lets you do it, then it's fine to do. It's like people who get upset in a fighting game if you do the same move/combo over and over again. Calling it cheap or stupid or whatever.

In my mind, if you can't stop me from doing it, you're the one with an issue, not me. Last I checked, the goal is to play to win, not play to let the other person win...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    PoliPino

Quote Originally Posted by As Heaven Is Wide View Post

Hehe does anybody else intentionally hit bombs when you have a shield to have the shockwave push other ships off the track? Or is it just me?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Elois-13

rofl sagmannen

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheDukeZip

I think that any strategy allowed by the rules is fair game. This includes your strategy as well as bombing/mining when you're in first place. After all, they are allowed to quake/missile/etc you, why can't you bomb them?

One thing I don't like is when the host is switching up the tracks every race and losing. Then they finally come upon the track where they know it a little better than me or the rest of the crowd and lo and behold every single race after is the same track. Once I see 3-4 in a row of this I move on to another race.